border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-18, 05:06 PM   #1
Clonez

Normal progression?

Here is my female caramel jag (that's how she was labeled, not sure about the caramel) with fresh skin curled up as tight as can be. I currently have 2 carpets and a dumerils. While waiting for my carpets to shed and my dumerils to digest a meal I realized I hate it when I am basically unable to handle all 3 at the same time. So I start thinking I need more. Then I start thinking if I'm going to get more I might as well look for another really nice carpet to possibly breed with my baby jag sib I recently acquired. Of course breeding would be far down the road considering the baby has a long way to go. Then I started thinking of all the stuff I would need to get over the next several years to be able to handle a clutch of baby snakes. Just curious, do lots of keepers find themselves in this same progression where you just start acquiring more and more snakes, and then decide to try breeding because you think it would be awesome to experience? I have been keeping snakes for 20 years and never considered breeding them to this point. But when I see some of the snakes out there I could get my hands on I start thinking it would be pretty damn cool to produce some killer babies. Curious to get people's input on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jag1.jpg (120.4 KB, 31 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 03-20-18, 06:12 PM   #2
IDvsEGO

Re: Normal progression?

Breeding is still not something I am interested in but I do have the same thoughts about my collection. I like observing the snakes probably more than actually handling them so I am trying to get some diversity in the look of my snakes as well as the habititat and behavior.
1.0 Cinnamon Ball Python (Wedjet) | 0.1 Arabesque Red Tail Boa (Gorgon) | 0.1 Albino Honduran Milk snake (Scylla) | 0.0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Iris) | 0.0.2 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Destiny & Chico) | 0.0.1 Brooks Kingsnake (Mikey) | 0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Jangles) | 0.0.1 Crested Gecko (Squirt) | 0.1 Tangerine Leopard Gecko (Golly)
Old 03-21-18, 10:05 AM   #3
Clonez

A better picture of her stretched out and looking good after the shed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jag2.jpg (111.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-21-18, 12:04 PM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Nice looking carpet Clonez. She's a pretty big girl too. Ours can be a somewhat addictive hobby. There's so many gorgeous snakes out there it sometimes gets hard to turn off the buying switch. I don't have any desire to breed any of my animals and I still want more.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 03-21-18, 12:57 PM   #5
Clonez

Thanks, she is getting big. I pulled her out yesterday and was amazed at how much size she seems to have put on from pre to post shed. Still under 3 years old so I'm curious to see how much more size she packs on. Things that might hold me back from breeding are 1) my wife 2) space required 3) cost of supplies and maintaining new babies. Also, if I produced babies I'm not sure how the process of off-loading them would work. Plenty of time ahead to ponder it.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread