border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-15, 04:02 PM   #1
LespaceSerpent

Question Corn Snake Advice?

ALRIGHT, so a few days ago I bought my first Corn Snake, I fell in love with him at the store and after some research I decided that it'd be a good way to get into the snake world.

I tried to share a pic of himbut it wouldn't let me, I guess because I only just joined, so I'll add one later when I can.

He was a little mad when I first brought him home but he's getting quite comfortable in the tank I bought him.

My question comes in that he burrowed into the aspen almost immediately, and I haven't seen him come out.

I did google and find out that this is normal and he's making little tunnels to sleep in and be comfortable, but I'm wondering how, after giving him like a week to get comfortable, I get him used to being handled?

He wasn't aggressive by any means, aside from when he had to be driven home and even then he didn't strike. But I don't want to traumatize him or anything by digging him from the bedding to get him used to me or to feed him?

Am I worrying too much about it? Do I need to wait for him to come out then take him out? Any extra tips would be appreciated.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-26-15, 01:34 AM   #2
Sylphie

Re: Corn Snake Advice?

Don't worry. Mine super friendly corns are loving to burrow too. I just let them be as they want, and handle them when they are out. But I'm a person that is rather "handle when they out" than "I must handle them everyday, because I looove theem!". Maybe he still feel a little uncomfortable in his new enclosure, or will go into shed.

If you really must pick him up (changing the substrate or something like this) then try to do it gently. But if he will not see you then he probably be stressed no matter what.
Old 07-27-15, 01:07 AM   #3
toddnbecka

My wee pair of thayeri kings like to stay burrowed in the aspen and paper bedding too. The female isn't bad, but the male tends to bite and run if I disturb him while he's under cover. If I wait until he's out in the open he doesn't freak out and bite. He calms down pertty quickly once he's been picked up either way, but is visibly more stressed if disturbed while he's hiding. I mainly dig him up to feed, hoping he'll learn that sooner or later, lol.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 07-27-15, 11:26 AM   #4
prairiepanda

I usually don't start handling new snakes until they've eaten at least once without issues. After he's had a few days to settle in, try feeding him(you don't need to unbury him; the smell of prey should bring him out if he's hungry). Use the same prey the pet store used, whether it be f/t or live, rat or mouse, whatever. Keep his first feeding the same as what he's used to, even if you plan on doing things differently in the future. If he eats with no problems, then you can try handling him gently after giving him at least 48 hours to digest. Some snakes get super stressed if they get taken out while they're burrowed, others don't mind too much. You'll have to get to know him. If he really hates being bothered while he's buried, then it would be best to wait until he comes out on his own to try handling him, at least until he's gotten to know you and trust you more.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 07-28-15, 12:00 AM   #5
LespaceSerpent

Thank you both, I was just wondering cause they told me he'd want to eat soon. I really appreciate the help!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-28-15, 11:50 AM   #6
LespaceSerpent

I knew he would be hungry because they were actually going to feed him Friday (Which I didn't know until afterwards) So I ruffled the bedding enough to stir him and then he ate without issue. I've had him for almost a week now.

But I'm wondering if he was really freaked out by the move cause he started pretending to be a rattlesnake when he came out from the bedding. I was wondering if you guys had any more tips on how to get him to be more used to me?
Old 07-28-15, 12:56 PM   #7
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

With a little time and patience he should mellow out. He's still acclimating to his new environment. Once he feels more secure he'll be fine.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 08-04-15, 10:01 AM   #8
LespaceSerpent

Do snakes hold grudges?

I've had him for over a week now and I noticed he was mostly unburied. I've been trying to be near the cage so he can get used to me being here but I think I may have made him hate me.

I tried to pick him up and he got really upset, he didn't actually strike but he did the rattlesnake thing again.

I'm wondering if maybe I should have waited a bit longer and gotten another BP instead cause I know they're cuddly. It makes me kinda sad cause I worry that with the rough move home and now this that he now associates me with scary and won't let me get near him.
Old 08-04-15, 10:14 AM   #9
Sylphie

Haha, no, they aren't capable of such feelings like hating someone. If he's a little one then it's totally normal for them to being afraid of handling and trying to look scary (hence the tail rattling or striking pose). With age they start to calm down, because they are no longer in the lowest part of food chain.

If he's already adult, then maybe he wasn't handled very often so he is afraid of it.

In both cases just handle him on regular basis and he will calm down. After some time they start to understand that human is not bad.
Old 08-04-15, 10:25 AM   #10
LespaceSerpent

Thank you. I know I'm probably worrying way too much over it ><

It took a lot of bugging to get my mom to let me have him I would feel bad if he didn't even like me after it.

EDIT: If he does the rattle thing should I just go ahead and back off? Everyone is telling me to just keep handling him but I wonder when I should just stop lol.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-04-15, 10:51 AM   #11
Sylphie

No problem

And yeah, keep handling, they can learn that if they rattle/strike then that big scary human left them alone. Even if he bite you it's nothing compared to cat scratch, so it's okay. After few times he will understand that he gains nothing by that "i'm big, dangerous snake" act, and he should calm down.
Old 08-04-15, 11:56 PM   #12
toddnbecka

BP's aren't actually cuddly, they're just too lethargic to buzz their tails, lol. Colubrids in general are more active when handled, boas and pythons are more inclined to hold still IME. If you want a reptile that actually enjoys and benefits from handling a bearded dragon is the best choice.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 08-05-15, 06:05 AM   #13
LiL Zap

Before you begin to handle him, make sure he is eating fine. You don't wanna stress the little guy out too much.
Old 08-09-15, 01:10 PM   #14
LespaceSerpent

Well He is slowly getting less terrified of me.

I was wondering if I can vaccuum or will it scare him too much? I'm cleaning my room
Old 08-09-15, 11:43 PM   #15
toddnbecka

Snakes can't hear, but they are sensitive to vibrations. Unlikely that a vacuum cleaner would cause enough "rumble" through the enclosure to disturb the snake.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
corn snake, new member, snake behavior, snake care