border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Varanid

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-18, 07:01 AM   #1
Varanid

Getting some ackie monitors, help building cage that can be taken apart

Hello, I’m planning on purchasing a trio of ackie monitors within the next few weeks after I construct an enclosure for them, I live with my father and am still in college and am looking at moving out within the next 2 years after I graduate. For this reason, I want to build a cage that I can take apart to bring to the new house. This is my plan but I’m not sure if I will actually be able to move out within this short of a time frame.

I was thinking of trying to build an 8x4x4 but it would need to be in parts that could fit through a 25 inch doorway this seems like it would be difficult so I was also thinking of constructing an 8x2x4 that I could take apart, I was thinking I could build it in two 4 foot sections and connect them together, so when the time comes for me to leave I can bring the enclosure with me.

My question is how do I construct an enclosure I can take apart, but I can still seal well and that can hold the substrate? I’ve never built anything, but my dad is going to help me, I would prefer to build this with my dad because I want to learn how to construct enclosures, but I also want to ensure this is done correctly and have no problem hiring a contractor. My father can help me build but I’m not sure he would know how to build an enclosure that can be taken apart.

Is building an 8x4x4 in parts so it can get through a 25-inch doorway possible or would it be easier to build an 8x2x4 to take apart?
Login to remove ads
Old 09-15-18, 03:00 PM   #2
chairman

Re: Getting some ackie monitors, help building cage that can be taken apart

Look into building an enclosure using a stock tank for the bottom and a wooden top. A trio of ackies can typically be kept in 100-150 gallon stock tanks but going larger isn't a bad idea. The tanks will be too wide to fit through your door but most are 24" or less in height, so you can empty out the substrate and move the tank on its side.
Old 11-02-18, 01:09 PM   #3
kriminaal

Re: Getting some ackie monitors, help building cage that can be taken apart

I second the tank topper. Will be so much easier for you later on for moving.
[IMG][/IMG]
Closed Thread

Tags
ackies, build, enclosure, monitor