border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-15, 05:21 PM   #1
DDW

Restricted Herps Essay

I know this isn't about careing for herps or anything, but I am writing a problem-solution essay for college. I can't site anything but I can ask people. I want to write about the problem of people illegally owning, catching, and releasing herps that are restricted or limited. (Maybe even touch on the Lacey Act if it fits) I want to propose simple solutions like additional permits with some strict conditions. I want to represent our comunity well so I am looking for some help. Here, I request information about restrictions here in the US as well as opinions of everyone regardless on area. The essay is limited to 600-800 words.
Thankyou all for any help.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-25-15, 11:11 AM   #2
DDW

Re: Restricted Herps Essay

Also, I can use pictures for the presentation.
Old 09-25-15, 02:12 PM   #3
chairman

Only 600-800 words? Not a lot of real estate to work with. My thoughts...

Make law enforcement officials apply existing animal cruelty laws to reptiles. I post a picture of a dog that I've decapitated with a shovel to see if it is a pit bull or not and I'm going to jail; do the same for a snake and I get kudos. That attitude has to change, people won't stop inappropriately disposing of reptiles as long as they're viewed as disposable.

Then get funding, training, and equipment for local animal shelters to take in reptiles. It seems like 99% of "reptile rescues" are shameless flippers that hope an animal they're not feeding or heating survives long enough to make a couple dollars off. If there were real rescue facilities then people may be less likely to dump their pets in the wild.

Enforce existing wildlife management laws as they apply to natives. Once again, no one seems to have the knowledge or enthusiasm to protect reptiles.

Your opinion of passing new laws is one that I wouldn't support. We already have laws, we need education, enforcement, and a little compassion for scaled critters.
Old 09-25-15, 04:54 PM   #4
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Very well said Chairman

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 09-25-15, 05:49 PM   #5
Albert Clark

Sounds great! The owning and catching and reieasing of limited and restricted species is a good highlight. Try to include how the hobby and industry needs to police itself as well in those areas through education and testing to obtain the appropriate certification and licensing. Weeding out the "underground" collection and sales of federally protected reptiles. The collecting and selling of wild reptiles in general and of course any and all native species. How captive bred collections should be the mainstay and that should be the law. And all wild populations can remain safe to control the rodent populations that destroy farmers crops. Allow wild kingsnakes and other ophiophagus species control venomous populations. Let the U.S.F.W.S. work with U.S.A.R.K. to advance the well being of all reptiles for the good that they do. I think I digressed a little but you get my points? Hope this stirred up some ideas to assist you with the essay.
Login to remove ads
Old 09-26-15, 07:27 AM   #6
DDW

I'm thinking about perhaps instead of playing with laws, maybe I should play on the side of raising awareness of the welfare of reptile like abuse and the illegal capturing/releasing of reptiles in order to reduse these problems. How's that sound? That can be a bit less long winded.
Old 09-26-15, 08:07 AM   #7
DDW

And talking about kings and how great they are at keeping rodent and venomous snake populations down. Maybe even talk about easily identifying venomous snakes without having to kill them.
Old 09-26-15, 09:13 AM   #8
chairman

Focusing on hots probably isn't going to help natives in the long term. Most non-herpers won't dedicate enough attention to make accurate identifications. Even if a program managed to get people to accurately identify hots, it'd probably just result in localized extinction events. Better to focus on preserving them all, especially if you're looking at Albert's comments on emphasizing captive collections... hots are always the first to get banned.
Old 09-26-15, 10:52 AM   #9
Albert Clark

Well I think there should be special requirements and training for those keepers who want to keep hots. That should lead to licensing for those individuals capable of passing those tests. I don't feel hots should be banned. The testing and special requirements should be very difficult and strict and should include a probationary period to include fines and licensing suspensions for irresponsible behavior and mishaps. Venomous is nothing to be laxed about. Any person found to keep them without proper licensing should face jail time first with applicable fines and confiscation of the animals. Chairman, your recommendation on more rescue shelters is a solution as well and there should be special rescue areas within the shelter for hots. Maybe like a special room with appropriate staff.
Old 09-26-15, 05:49 PM   #10
DDW

My instructor did make a point to go the free route first as if I'm actually representing this to people in power. The specialized area for shelters is a good idea, it's hard enough already for shelters to keep the animals they already have. It'd be easier to get a specialized area (not to mention the staff) for a horse than for snakes unfortunately. I understand the reluctance of including hots and the identification of hots.

Also, I'm looking for cute herp pics(cute as possible. Google isn't helping me much so I was hoping y'all would have some.)
Login to remove ads
Old 09-29-15, 06:21 PM   #11
DDW

i have to have a presentation ready this Thursday, wish me luck and any input is always welcome. Thanks ya'll.
Old 09-29-15, 06:31 PM   #12
DDW

Also, when I presented the idea to the teacher, she said that I had to come up with a way to make others care about the reptiles somehow(with a picture or someting) any pics you have that might help my case would be super helpful
Old 09-29-15, 06:50 PM   #13
MDT

Awwwww.......

Does this work??
Old 09-29-15, 06:53 PM   #14
DDW

That is adorable, however, I don't want the thought to be "That child has been put in danger, that snake could eat him whole" Though that berm is certainly being a good snek^.=.^ thanks
Old 09-29-15, 06:55 PM   #15
MDT

you shoulda seen the one i didn't post!!

(just kidding, i really got nuthin'! best of luck on the presentation though!)
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread