border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-13, 10:56 PM   #1
BrownSugar92

Assistance with switching to F/T?

I wasn't so worried with pups even tiny rats, but now that my ball python is getting so big- I have to get her bigger meals (obviously) and since the rats are getting bigger they put up a better fight. I haven't had any scratches or bites . . . yet, but I know eventually it's bound to happen. Besides I feel much better knowing that if I fed her frozen there's no way she could get bitten and I don't want to wait until she gets hurt to try and switch.

Problem is she's been eating live since she was born (about to be 7 months) and it seems like she ONLY eats rats from the local feed store by my house- they only have live. I've tried warming a frozen thawed rat by soaking it in hot water until its warmed all the way through and the whole hair dryer thing, but she won't take. I've postponed her feeding for an entire three days in hopes it would make her really hungry. Same result though, not even a single strike position. I've even tried to make it dance and run around lol (-_-) Any suggestions??
Login to remove ads
Old 03-23-13, 02:55 AM   #2
guyabano

Re: Assistance with switching to F/T?

I've heard a little hunger and some exposed brain matter could help. I'm trying to convert my retic to pre-killed and then F/T afterwards.
Old 03-23-13, 05:40 AM   #3
Terranaut
Morelia Enjoyus Maximus

3 days is nothing. My Royal hasn't eaten since December and is fine. If you can only get live try fresh kill. Kill the prey ,then give it to your snake. It doesn't have to be f/t. Dead won't bite your snake and thsts the whole idea.
Old 03-23-13, 05:59 AM   #4
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

You pretty much need to wait the snake out, you may waste some f/t to start with but i would offer one every two weeks until the snake takes one. Make sure the head of the rat is really hot
Old 03-23-13, 07:39 AM   #5
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
3 days is nothing. My Royal hasn't eaten since December and is fine. If you can only get live try fresh kill. Kill the prey ,then give it to your snake. It doesn't have to be f/t. Dead won't bite your snake and thsts the whole idea.
She's taken fresh kill before, but it seems like my little sister is the only one who can do it . . . I have a problem banging a rat again the wall in a plastic bag lol
Login to remove ads
Old 03-23-13, 07:40 AM   #6
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankyrob View Post
You pretty much need to wait the snake out, you may waste some f/t to start with but i would offer one every two weeks until the snake takes one. Make sure the head of the rat is really hot
Is that what you did for your snakes?
Old 03-23-13, 07:41 AM   #7
stephanbakir
Retic Fanatic

Probably because you picked the moste brutal and least effective way to do it try cervical dislocation, or CO2
Old 03-23-13, 08:43 AM   #8
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanbakir View Post
Probably because you picked the moste brutal and least effective way to do it try cervical dislocation, or CO2
Lol I know I know, but I thought it would be easier than popping a spine >.>
C02 isn't going to harm my snake if the rat has been exposed to it?
Old 03-23-13, 09:09 AM   #9
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

You're probably thinking of CO (carbon monoxide) which is harmful to humans CO2 (carbon dioxide) is fine. Its what we produce when we exhale
Old 03-23-13, 11:02 AM   #10
Lankyrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownSugar92 View Post
Is that what you did for your snakes?
I got all but one of my snakes as hatchlings and they never ate live, the other snake was adopted and was already eating f/t.

Breaking a rats neck is much easier and quicker than smashing it into a wall.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-23-13, 11:47 AM   #11
Bloedig

On the subject of thawing a frozen, I might suggest you put the rat in a plastic bag and then into the tub of warm water. Not sure if this is what your doing now, but if not, it may help as the smells, etc are kept on the rat and not washed away by the water.
1.0 Striped Javelin Sand Boa - Fidi
Old 03-23-13, 12:10 PM   #12
Lankyrob

I defrost mine overnight, i am 99% certain that the scent gets to my snakes and sets them into feed mode so that they are more than ready when the time comes, not sure if this 12hrs of scent being wafted around helps with the feed response
Old 03-23-13, 12:24 PM   #13
Freebody
Veteran Member

I cant see a fresh killed rat and a heated up frozen thawed being any different as far as the snake is concerned, he will still see it as dead food, try heating up extra hot like rob said, I do this for all my snakes anyways, and get a pair of tongs and ever so slightly give it a little wiggle, and I stress ever so gently as if it was having a small seizure, or some muscle twitching, not swinging side to side and up and down, that would just frighten the snake, I also tease them a bit when snakes don't want to eat, they will come up and sniff it and not really bite, so I slowly just move it away from them and remove the rat for a few minutes, and do it again a few minutes later, usually works for me. just make sure not to touch the snake with the prey item.
Old 03-23-13, 02:13 PM   #14
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloedig View Post
On the subject of thawing a frozen, I might suggest you put the rat in a plastic bag and then into the tub of warm water. Not sure if this is what your doing now, but if not, it may help as the smells, etc are kept on the rat and not washed away by the water.
I tried one with both, but like I've said before- I never really stuck to it and I've only offered a F/T rat to her twice
Old 03-23-13, 02:16 PM   #15
BrownSugar92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebody View Post
I cant see a fresh killed rat and a heated up frozen thawed being any different as far as the snake is concerned, he will still see it as dead food, try heating up extra hot like rob said, I do this for all my snakes anyways, and get a pair of tongs and ever so slightly give it a little wiggle, and I stress ever so gently as if it was having a small seizure, or some muscle twitching, not swinging side to side and up and down, that would just frighten the snake, I also tease them a bit when snakes don't want to eat, they will come up and sniff it and not really bite, so I slowly just move it away from them and remove the rat for a few minutes, and do it again a few minutes later, usually works for me. just make sure not to touch the snake with the prey item.
I'm not saying it's different at all, I'm saying its hard for me to do fresh killed. I couldn't bring myself to pop it's spine and as for right now my sister is the only one who can kill the rat by whacking it one good time against the wall. That's why I wanted to do F/T. That and it's easier to store of course
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python, f/t, feeding, live, rats