border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-20, 08:31 AM   #1
thatsjust_em

Snake eat something too big?

I'm worried about my 5 mo. old Brazilian rainbow boa. I started feeding him fuzzies (not live) two weeks ago. He took his first one fine, but he wouldn't eat at his next feeding (every 7 days) He was in shed so I wasn't too concerned also since it was a bigger meal. He shed and I fed him last night, and he ate it after it sat in his cage for a little bit. Even though I didn't watch him eat this one he had no trouble with the first one a couple weeks ago but this time his belly looks really tight. This morning I looked in on on him to check him and spray his cage down (I don't handle him for 2 days after feeding) and he seems uncomfortable, his belly looks really big and he snapped at me which has never happened before. This is my first snake and I love him so much and just want to make sure he's okay.

Also I don't think there was a drastic size difference between the two fuzzies, but the the one from his first feeding was a little smaller. Sorry if I'm overreacting but he's never acted like this after eating.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-08-20, 01:18 PM   #2
craigafrechette

Re: Snake eat something too big?

I wouldn't sweat it. Just leave him to digest. You may want to wait an additional day before handling.

He's probably just snapping to let you know he doesn't want to be bothered while he digests.
Old 01-15-20, 09:40 PM   #3
Jim Smith

craigafrechette has it right. Don't overthink this. Just give him time to digest his meal (at least 4 days) and he'll be fine. Basically, if they can fit it down their throat, they can eat it. If they do have a problem with any prey item, they may regurgitate it.
Old 01-17-20, 03:21 PM   #4
thatsjust_em

Thank you all so much! He is doing much better now
Old 01-18-20, 08:23 PM   #5
Jazek86794444

Thank you all so much!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-22-20, 03:03 PM   #6
Reptolover

If you say he snapped at you, maybe he did not recognize you,or he is sick,because snakes can be temperamental if sick. I had a Brazilian rainbow boa once , and as to not eating, that is perfectly normal if hes not hungry. However, to be safe, I would have a vet take a look. Sorry been there
Old 01-24-20, 05:40 AM   #7
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Snakes who recently ate are often abit more snappy, I don't think you should take the animal for the vet for something so common.