border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-18, 02:35 AM   #1
Aroger2

BCC or BCI

Hello my columbian red tail is a year and a half now and not much of an expert on the differences so was hoping someone could help ID her as BCC or BCI. This is my first boa species but have owned a variety of non-venomous and venomous snakes alike. I also noticed she has no visible spurs

Login to remove ads
Old 06-05-18, 09:19 AM   #2
ClockwerkBonnet

Re: BCC or BCI

Welcome to the forum, Aroger! What do BCC and BCI stand for? I'm not an expert either.
Old 06-05-18, 11:38 AM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

If it was sold to you as a colombian BCI (now BI), and you didn't pay the price for a BCC (now BC), then I can almost guarantee without even seeing it that what you have is a BI.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 06-05-18, 04:43 PM   #4
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
Welcome to the forum, Aroger! What do BCC and BCI stand for? I'm not an expert either.
BCI (BI) and BCC (BC) are short for the genus/species/subspecies name of each.

Boa constrictor imperator (now simply Boa imperator) and Boa constrictor constrictor (now just Boa constrictor)

And @Aroger2, If you didn't pay in the mid-to-high three hundred range at minimum, I would agree with Andy... you most likely have BI.
Old 06-05-18, 05:18 PM   #5
Wildernessmedic

I’m lost. Regular rtbs are supposed to cost more? Here they’re everywhere for $150. Pet stores etc. BCIs are several hundred and hard to find.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-05-18, 05:35 PM   #6
psychocircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessmedic View Post
I’m lost. Regular rtbs are supposed to cost more? Here they’re everywhere for $150. Pet stores etc. BCIs are several hundred and hard to find.
BCC are "True red tails." They are generally larger.

BCI tend to be smaller, and this species is where you will find several morphs. BCI are much more common.
Old 06-05-18, 05:56 PM   #7
riddick07

Bcc (Bc) that is of higher quality on looks can cost anywhere from $300-1000. Or more depending on a few other factors & locality.

Bci (Bi) the normals are either dirt cheap or high quality line bred normals (Pastels) can get in the $400-500 range.

Line bred normal aka pastel Bi (what you can tell with my crappy indoor shots)

Dirt cheap normal Bi

If you can get your pictures to work everyone can tell you for sure what you have.
4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 6.7 Corns, 1.3.1 Ball Python, 7.15 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 2.2 Retics, 2.2 Wolf Snake, 0.1 BRB, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 0.1 False Water Cobra, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.0 Halmahera BTS, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse
Old 06-05-18, 09:26 PM   #8
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessmedic View Post
What pet stores call “red tails” are generally not. The much more common BI (Columbian) are the $150 “red tails”.
Old 06-06-18, 03:17 AM   #9
richardhind

as in riddicks amazing pics of his bc there so distinctive with the amazing red tail and generally bat type saddles, but you would expect to pay a fair bit for a decent one
most pet shops tend to mislabel them im afraid and most tend to boa imperata (BI) there are some amazing morphs in these now which also can a fortune for the more unique paint jobs
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 06-06-18, 07:36 AM   #10
Wildernessmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
What pet stores call “red tails” are generally not. The much more common BI (Columbian) are the $150 “red tails”.
Are BCI and hog island boas the same? I though I knew this but now I’m not so sure. I’ve seen plenty of “true red tails” for sale and avoided them. However finding a hog island boa was much more difficult and expensive.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-06-18, 07:52 AM   #11
richardhind

yes hog island is a bci (bi) now

the hog island gene has been muddied and mixed up so much with interbreeding to get some of them lovely natural pinks from it, that sadly theirs not many pure forms left,most tend to 50% pure where they have been used to make other morphs. hence the limited and pricey availability

there such a cool naturally melanistic snake when and if you can find one
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 06-06-18, 08:15 AM   #12
riddick07

Yeah locality Bi can be expensive and difficult to find. I came really close to spending $400-600 on a Barranquilla locality but I didn’t see how it made sense since I don’t have any plans right now for them. But they are really beautiful looking locality. At least I know where to go in the future if I want one since he seems to breed them every other year haha

Hog Islands have definitely been muddled up. Buddy Young and Russo still have them if you ever feel the need for another. There was someone else I’ve seen with them fairly recently but can’t remember now.
4.5 Chinese Beauty, 1.0 White Sided Rat, 0.1 Suboc, 0.1 Stillwater Hypo Bull, 1.0 50/50 Cal King, 6.7 Corns, 1.3.1 Ball Python, 7.15 BCI, 1.0 Jaguar Carpet, 2.2 Retics, 2.2 Wolf Snake, 0.1 BRB, 1.2 BCC Suriname, 1.1 Ridleyi Beauty, 0.1 False Water Cobra, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.0 Halmahera BTS, 5.4 Parrots, 0.1 Cat, 1.0 Horse
Old 06-06-18, 08:48 AM   #13
MDT

Thanks to Richard and Riddick07...I don’t know a lot about the island forms of BI. I keep BC so am a little more familiar w that species. Richardhind and Riddick07 know their bias for sure!
Closed Thread