border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-17, 01:05 PM   #31
jjhill001

Re: How often do YOU hold your reptiles?

I don't hold my reptiles very often. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've held my leopard gecko.

I think, at least for me, this is kind of a holdover since I got my start in Amphibians rather than reptiles. And everyone knows it's not smart to hold them much, if at all.

That and I just got out of the shower today and my female Baird's was all out and about I figured, hey why not pick her up. I held her for about 5-10 minutes shooting out a few snapchats.

As I'm getting ready to put her back she musked on my ear. WHAT THE $%$%#$%#%%$%R#$%$%#$% you literally can't even invent a swear word for that. So I had to shower again, I know most people get it on their hands or maybe an arm. In all my years of handling snakes I've never gotten musked that close to my face, the stuff is caustic smelling that close.
Old 04-28-17, 01:07 PM   #32
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Do I have to touch them with my hands to count as handling? I use a hook all the time so if that counts then once a week while cleaning.

If the hook doesn't count then like....once every 6 months?
Dang, and I thought I was cold blooded hahah.
Old 04-28-17, 06:29 PM   #33
Cricket1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
I don't hold my reptiles very often. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've held my leopard gecko.

I think, at least for me, this is kind of a holdover since I got my start in Amphibians rather than reptiles. And everyone knows it's not smart to hold them much, if at all.

That and I just got out of the shower today and my female Baird's was all out and about I figured, hey why not pick her up. I held her for about 5-10 minutes shooting out a few snapchats.

As I'm getting ready to put her back she musked on my ear. WHAT THE $%$%#$%#%%$%R#$%$%#$% you literally can't even invent a swear word for that. So I had to shower again, I know most people get it on their hands or maybe an arm. In all my years of handling snakes I've never gotten musked that close to my face, the stuff is caustic smelling that close.
Its bad enough when they musk on your hands....I can't even imagine being musked more than a foot closer to your face lol.
Old 04-28-17, 06:34 PM   #34
saturnascends

Quote:

Oh mannnnn, I feel for you. I got musked once on my arm by our baby kingsnake and it was bad...near your face? No way.

On the topic at hand though, I'd say I handle our Cali kingsnake once every couple of weeks - he's the apprehensive one. I handle our MBK about 2-3 times a week. We just got a ball python today! I assume she may get handled a little more than the kings just based on the differences in overall "calmness", but I still don't think I'll overdo it. Especially not these first couple of weeks.
Old 04-28-17, 06:55 PM   #35
Tiny Boidae

Quote:

Oh man. These guys don't bite, but their musk is probably far worse than a little nibble. He used to do it constantly when he was younger, but now he's calmed down with it. He's also never musked my face, but he's gotten pretty close before. He seems to have this odd obsession with my hair (which is fairly long). If I hold him close to my chest, he'll climb up to it and inspect it. It's kinda cute so I let him do his thing once- big mistake. He ended up crawling up to my neck and found the neck of my shirt, slithered underneath and before I could pull him out, wrapped around a strap several times. When I tried to remove him, he ended up musking and it was fairly close to my face so it was pretty bad. I can't even imagine what that was like (or what she was doing that allowed her to get close enough to do that). Funny little critters, but definitely a species that I've really enjoyed.

But to answer the question, not often at all. My rat snake I take outside to the garden once or twice a week, but the rest of my snakes only get held once a month- and that's to weigh them and clean the enclosure. I might occasionally just get the itch and hold one around, but even then I just put them in a loose pocket while I write a report or watch television. They're small little sand boas so it works great for both of us. I'd say it's better to watch them, but at most I typically get a "crocodile head" on the top of the substrate. I guess I'm really just content to acknowledge they're still there by dropping a dead mouse in the enclosures every now and again.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-28-17, 07:45 PM   #36
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnascends View Post
Oh mannnnn, I feel for you. I got musked once on my arm by our baby kingsnake and it was bad...near your face? No way.

On the topic at hand though, I'd say I handle our Cali kingsnake once every couple of weeks - he's the apprehensive one. I handle our MBK about 2-3 times a week. We just got a ball python today! I assume she may get handled a little more than the kings just based on the differences in overall "calmness", but I still don't think I'll overdo it. Especially not these first couple of weeks.
Heh, you can see the photos down in the colubrid section. She's not exactly tiny anymore either so it was a good amount.
Old 04-28-17, 08:03 PM   #37
saturnascends

Quote:
Heh, you can see the photos down in the colubrid section. She's not exactly tiny anymore either so it was a good amount.
So is it Lucy who is the guilty party? Ha! She's beautiful though!
Old 04-29-17, 01:19 AM   #38
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnascends View Post
So is it Lucy who is the guilty party? Ha! She's beautiful though!
Yup lol. I keep her around for her looks apparently.
Old 04-29-17, 04:06 AM   #39
Enigma

If they will be big snakes, then try to hold as often as possible, almost everyday. Exceptions 4 days after meals and shedding time and pregnants of course.