Thread: Help sex ackies
View Single Post
Old 04-23-21, 10:58 AM   #11
murrindindi

Re: Help sex ackies

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison123 View Post
Wow didn't know they could be sexually mature at such a small size. And no worries please critic all you want. They are in a 4x2x2 enclosure. When I move I am thinking of putting them into a large trough or stock tank to allow for deeper substrate when they are larger. Haven't decided yet.

https://ibb.co/mHKByVZ
I think the size is far too small even for one adult, let alone two, if one/both are female you need at least 10 to 12 inches of substrate for nesting, that only leaves 12 inches "air space" above ground. For one single adult I would recommend a minimum of 5L x 2.5 to 3W x 3.5 to 4H (feet) they will use every inch of space if given the means. For two, add another foot to the length... For too long keepers and "breeders" have advised the size you use as acceptable, particularly if their animals breed successfully, suggesting in that case "it`s all they require"? I say that`s nonsense, especially for such active animals, it`s more about saving space than providing as much as possible. People do not breed monitors, monitors do that themselves, we mostly just incubate the eggs!
What are the substrate temps from surface to floor of the enclosure throughout?