border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > General Python Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-13, 12:25 AM   #1
Myaxwonderland

Exclamation Hello!!! I'm new. Someone HELP! :p

Hey guys!!! I'm new to sSnakeSs and to owning a baby bp.... I thought I was prepared for this, but I think I screwed up...

I just bought a normal baby ball python and I've had him for about a week. I have a lot of friends with BP and I've handled them before so I thought it would be a great idea to get one. When I first got him he was very mellow and easy to handle. I fed him and he was fine. I handled him two days later and he was still very mellow. The other night I took him out and I was playing with him. While I was handling him he started to use the bathroom on me so I put him back in his tank, rather quickly I'll admit, and he hasn't been the same since. I don't know much about snakes, but I know enough about body language to where I can tell he's in extreme defense mode. I know I screwed up, but will he ever mellow out again? Is there anything I can do?

HELP!!!

Thank youu!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-29-13, 05:40 AM   #2
marvelfreak
Captain America

Re: Hello!!! I'm new. Someone HELP! :p

cartoon-snake1.jpg

It will just take some time. He most likely sore and just doesn't want to be touched. I would leave him alone for a week then very careful start handling.
Old 07-29-13, 09:38 AM   #3
dbassa

Welcome!

Congrats on your BP

In addition to what Marvel posted, you may also want to wait to begin regular handling sessions until your BP has eaten reliably for you several times.

Give him time to acclimate, get a few meals in him, make sure your husbandry is right on and he should be fine.
Old 07-29-13, 10:06 AM   #4
leper65

Babies are usually more defensive/nippy at first. Most folks wait a week after acquiring a new snake before handling it to let it get used to its new surroundings.

Routine handling will teach it you are not a threat and he should mellow out. Handling 2 days after feeding may be a bit soon, I wait at least 3 days normally.

Just keep at it with the handling as long as its not in shed or has just eaten and he should get better....
Old 07-29-13, 10:47 AM   #5
smy_749

Let him establish his enclosure as his new home, he hasn't settled in yet and is probably uncomfortable and stressed still. What does "playing with him" mean? Maybe he didn't like the way you were handling him, they aren't exactly the endurance runners of the reptile world either.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
ball python help