sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-20, 08:47 AM   #1
ArizonaSivy

Baby corn feeding problem

Oh Shenron, you little troublemaker...

Ok, a little background first. I bought my baby corn (2 months old at most) at Petsmart. Not a very good idea, sure, but unfortunately there aren't many breeders in my area, and I only realized that there is a monthly reptile expo in town after I got him. Anyway, the feeding chart shows that Shenron had eaten well for 3 consecutive weeks before I got him from the store.

When I brought him home, he immediately became very timid. I almost never see him out of his cool hide, to the point that I'm concerned if he ever even drinks. Still, he did accept the first meal from me about a week after I got him. I only feed him frozen thawed pinkies, inside his setup (10 gallon terrarium), and I'm being careful about the temperature and all. I thought things were going well, but then the trouble began.

I did not realize that the snake was about to go into shed, and I fed him right before he molted. He ate, and then shed most of his skin, but not all. I waited a few days, and put him in a moist bin so he could shed completely. And though he did, and I've been careful about the humidity, he has not eaten since that first time.

The problem is not that he doesn't accept any food from me. He does, and quite eagerly. But the problem is that he regurgitates the mice at night. I tried leaving food out in his enclosure, but he won't touch it then. He doesn't seem super angry or stressed, he just stays in his cool hide. Doesn't even go to the warm one, as if he's ok with the temperature. I've gotten paranoid with keeping the conditions exactly as the charts say, but still, no effect.

Shenron hasn't eaten in 10 days. Before my last attempt, I left him completely alone for 5. Should I try feeding him in a full week? Does it seem like he just needs to get used to his environment?

I'd be very grateful if you could help a newb out with some advice. I'm terribly scared not to harm my new pet I was so happy to get! I even had a dream last night that he died, and I really don't want that to actually happen.
Login to remove ads
Old 11-01-20, 12:43 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Baby corn feeding problem

You can try again. Sometimes snakes refuse.

If you want to doublecheck things try a different thermometer and read what the hot side is. Instruments DO break and there's been incidents where everything seems right but the thermometer failed and the heating was off.

Reasons for regurg is usually not hot enough, possibly too hot or maybe the food wasn't thawed correctly.
Old 11-01-20, 04:23 PM   #3
ArizonaSivy

Thank you. I'm pretty sure the heating pad is on when I want it to be. I've measured the heat with a probe thermometer. I think he's just stressed. He's not peeked out of his hide in days, like his quarantining or something. I'll probably wait till Thursday and then try feeding him again.
Old 11-02-20, 06:51 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Okay sounds good. Let us know how it goes. A regurge could also be from the source of feeders too!
Old 11-02-20, 07:16 PM   #5
ArizonaSivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
Okay sounds good. Let us know how it goes. A regurge could also be from the source of feeders too!

You mean like from where the mice came? He ate the first one I gave him, and they're all from one and the same box...
Login to remove ads
Old 11-06-20, 08:35 AM   #6
ArizonaSivy

Ok. Yesterday, after 17 days of fasting, Shenron finally ate his pinky. I guess the trick was just to let him starve long enough. After that, he pounced on his food like a dead Michigander on a Biden ballot. I decided to switch from feeding him in the evening to doing that in the morning, and keeping the enclosure warm throughout the day seemed to help him digest normally. No regurge as of yet, so fingers crossed. Gonna try feeding in a full week, we'll see what happens.

I'm still concerned about him being so reclusive, though. I haven't seen him once throughout the last week, so much so that I was beginning to suspect that he slithered away or died. Fortunately, once the time for feeding came, I realized that I was just being paranoid. But still, shouldn't a 3-month-old corn be a little more active? Please let me know if I should be concerned. Thanks!
Old 11-06-20, 09:10 AM   #7
chairman

I wouldn't worry about the reclusiveness. The snake instinctually knows it needs to hide to avoid being eaten by a larger predator. And, at that size, just about anything is a larger predator.

They get bolder as they age but do spend a lot of time hiding, even as adults.
Old 11-06-20, 11:25 AM   #8
ArizonaSivy

Thanks a lot. I am much calmer now. Guess I just didn't expect taking care of a baby corn would be so much different that how caring for an adult is usually described. But as long as I know that he's eating and growing healthily, I guess all's going in the right direction.
Closed Thread

Tags
cornsnake care, not eating, regurgitating