border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Lizard Forums > Eublepharis Macularius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-19, 07:35 AM   #1
Veronica

Repticon or Craigslist?

I've been thinking about getting a second leopard gecko. My question is if I should adopt one from Craigslist or get one at Repticon.

I was thinking Craigslist because there are so many leopard geckos that need a good home. The downside would be I might get an unhealthy leopard gecko and there wouldn't be a chance of refund.

At Repticon, I would be able to buy a (probably) healthy gecko from a reputable breeder but I kind of feel guilty about not giving a home to a gecko that needs one...

Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks in advance
Login to remove ads
Old 04-17-19, 08:15 AM   #2
condescomputers

Re: Repticon or Craigslist?

The only time I don't try to rescue is when I do impulse buys. I ALWAYS try to rescue first. No matter what kind of animal it is. I say rescue all the way, but if you want to be sure its healthy and want no issues Repticon is the choice. It comes down to a personal choice. I don't think we can really give all that much advice.
Old 04-17-19, 08:24 AM   #3
MDT

Avoid the temptation w CL. The altruism is admirable, but you can't save them all. And, you run the risk of bringing diseases into your established collection. You may have just incurred several hundred dollars of vet bills to treat the rescue and/or your animals.

Even reptile shows are increasingly sketchy if you do not buy from a truly established breeder.
Old 04-17-19, 08:26 AM   #4
Veronica

Thank you all, I suppose I can have my setup ready, and if I see a healthy gecko on Craigslist I can get that one, and if not, Repticon.
Old 04-17-19, 10:07 AM   #5
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
Avoid the temptation w CL. The altruism is admirable, but you can't save them all. And, you run the risk of bringing diseases into your established collection. You may have just incurred several hundred dollars of vet bills to treat the rescue and/or your animals.

Even reptile shows are increasingly sketchy if you do not buy from a truly established breeder.

This is perfect. You need to find someone who will give you support or information on the animal after purchase. It's only your second animal, it's best to go with someone who isn't going to disappear after purchase.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-17-19, 10:22 AM   #6
Veronica

Thank you Aaron and MDT, I think I'll end up going with your advice. It would be my second leopard gecko, and I think there would be a smaller chance of spreading parasites if I buy from a breeder. (Of course there will be a quarantine period, but it will probably still be safer.)
Old 04-19-19, 07:16 AM   #7
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
Thank you Aaron and MDT, I think I'll end up going with your advice. It would be my second leopard gecko, and I think there would be a smaller chance of spreading parasites if I buy from a breeder. (Of course there will be a quarantine period, but it will probably still be safer.)
Wise choice. It will be worth the extra money to buy from someone who you can rely on for information and help after purchase.
Closed Thread