border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-18, 10:51 AM   #1
Clonez

Jag Carpet Size

This girl was sold to me as a Caramel Jag and I think she was hatched in summer of 2015. I've always wondered if she actually has caramel in her, but I've seen some that look like her without much of the caramel color coming through the black. Any thoughts? She is right at 6' now so I guess I'm curious to hear from experienced carpet keepers how much more I could expect her to grow. Right now I feed her a medium rat about every 2 weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jag Carpet.jpg (98.4 KB, 45 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-15-18, 01:42 PM   #2
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Re: Jag Carpet Size

Another foot or so would be a fair expectation but who knows and at 3 years old she would be sexually mature and growth rates will have tapered off so that growth may occur over a number of years. They grow rapidly until maturity, and then slowly until they die. Genetics play a role so if you knew how large the parents were it would give you a bit more accurate of an expectation, but that doesn't always ring true either. As far as the "caramel" being present or not, I am uncertain.
Old 02-16-18, 10:05 AM   #3
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Nice looking carpet. I agree with Andy on the potential size and growth rates.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 02-16-18, 05:01 PM   #4
Clonez

Would it be common to expect the majority of length for carpets to be put on in the first 3 years and then for them to put on most of their girth the next year or two after their length slows way down?
Old 02-16-18, 07:58 PM   #5
MDT

Coastals as a rule are bigger than jungles, so you can probably expect a 6-7 foot snake. The jag gene is coastal carpet blood.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread