PDA

View Full Version : changing colors

JWFugle
05-10-13, 06:01 PM
does anyone else notice/know why/enjoy seeing the different shades and almost different colors an individual snake can change to? my retic has 2 or 3 "variations" that she changes into and im wondering what triggers it.

these were taken a few weeks apart but its not like its a "fresh shed" vs an "about to shed".

im just posting cuz i think its really cool and curious if anyone else has an cool examples of their snakes (please post if so :yes: )

*still cant figure out this rotating pic thing :nerd: :sorry:

smy_749
05-10-13, 08:13 PM
Some snakes change color according to mood. Some of those beautiful GTP's you see with the blues are actual hormonal and not genetic color change. Blood pythons change head color for mood too I believe.

Ivanator
05-13-13, 08:16 PM
I know they get darker when they're cold to help absorb more heat, but I can't explain changes in pattern. I also enjoy watching them change as they get older. I've been taking pics of my platinum that I got in January after every shed to see how much brighter he gets.

Theweinz
05-13-13, 09:04 PM
The head coloration on mine seems to change most dramatically. It is cool to see.

JWFugle
05-13-13, 09:27 PM
yea thats what i thought it was too. darker when cold, lighter when hot. funny how its reverse for humans more sun light we turn darker, less lighter.

i just had not seen mine change that drastically before. even when shes darker her colors are incredible compared to when i first got her. shes a super jamp. and was nearly black when i first got her, now shes got nice outlines and i love the greenish brown and she turns and her golden outlined saddles.

pictures never do snakes justice :sad:

any one else got any pictures of their snakes color change? we all love pics

Dave Kelley
05-14-13, 04:17 PM
With carpet pythons, I've noticed that after they feed, they will darken slightly as they begin to digest. Same with days where my snake room stay colder then normal.

Irian Jaya carpets are different though. They seem to go through light and dark phases at random times of the day...I haven't noticed a reason why they do yet, but if anyone has a theory please, let's hear it!

NBLADE
05-15-13, 09:02 AM
Alot of my normal retics will be bright one day, then duller and dark the next, it is normally down to temperatures with mine, early morning, they are darker absorbing the morning heat quicker, well they would be if it was light emitting heat but still, and by mid day to evening they are lighter again.

millertime89
05-16-13, 11:37 PM
Blonde Retic about 4 weeks ago
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/944412_356535754446037_1680644031_n.jpg

last week
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/947137_359874607445485_795236170_n.jpg

Its amazing what a drop in ambient temp inside the enclosure will do!

marvelfreak
05-17-13, 01:43 AM
Some snakes change color according to mood. Some of those beautiful GTP's you see with the blues are actual hormonal and not genetic color change. Blood pythons change head color for mood too I believe.
Their heads will tend to get darker when in feed mode, scared or nerves.
With carpet pythons, I've noticed that after they feed, they will darken slightly as they begin to digest. Same with days where my snake room stay colder then normal.

Irian Jaya carpets are different though. They seem to go through light and dark phases at random times of the day...I haven't noticed a reason why they do yet, but if anyone has a theory please, let's hear it!
Some carpets do what's called blushing when in feed mode. What it is is when they get excited they get a sudden rush of blood to the head which will make them look like they are blushing. With my Jungle Jag and Diamond Jungle it give them a pinkish tint on their head and down their neck some.

There's a thread on here about BRB and how their sides white wash at night. http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/epicrates/86456-metachrosis-aka-whitewall-pictures.html