PDA

View Full Version : Poop

cfox109
04-07-13, 03:15 PM
Im wondering how you can tell if a hognose snake is healthy or not by its poop. My hognose didn't eat for a few weeks and when she finally ate her poop was tiny. I assumed this was because she digested it well and used up all the nutrients since she didn't eat for a while. But her last poop was a bit odd. It looked like the pinky kind of still. I wish i took a picture but it was like part of it looked pinkish and then it faded into normal looking poop. She also pooped every wear in her water dish. Also i should add that this was after only maybe 2 days of digestion. I fed her wednesday afternoon, and found the poop on friday when I came home. Her hot end is 93-95 and cool end is about 80-82.

Gregg M
04-07-13, 06:54 PM
Sounds more like she had a regurge.

RyanReptile
04-07-13, 07:04 PM
I have to a agree it sounds like he regurgitated his last meal.

alessia55
04-07-13, 07:46 PM
If she did regurgitate, do not try to feed her again immediately. Just wait until the next feeding day to offer food again.

cfox109
04-08-13, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the tips and knowledge. Is there anything i can do to help prevent a regurge in the future? Like adjust temps or anything? She's still on small pinkies I haven't upped her food size since i got her in october.

RyanReptile
04-08-13, 04:28 PM
If the temperatures you mentioned are correct that shouldn't be the problem. I don't really have any experience with any of my snakes regurgitating but it could a parasite problem.

cfox109
04-09-13, 08:45 PM
Oh i hope its not parasites. I should also add that after she ate she spent about 2 days in her humid hide which is on the cool side of the tank, which was odd because she is usually pretty good about getting in her warm hide after she eats. Not sure if that could be a factor for a regurge because of the cool temps.