PDA

View Full Version : 1.1 Pair

smy_749
04-07-13, 10:30 AM
How much would you guys offer on a 1.1 pair of albino hognose? I've never kept them, but if its on craiglist and has scales I'm always interested.

stephanbakir
04-07-13, 10:37 AM
Craigslist animals are notoriously unreliable. (Health, and quality of past care)
Is it a known breeder or some random guys animal?

smy_749
04-07-13, 10:39 AM
no clue, I always ask for enclosure pics and see the animals before paying. Seems to be a breeder as he said they were in a large rack system. Usually I just inquire, but I did manage to get some nice snakes before (bad husbandry but snakes were fine, a few jungle carpets)

Plus if its on Craigslist usually they really need the money, and I can haggle them real low.

stephanbakir
04-07-13, 11:04 AM
There are exceptions but generally you get what you pay for. Carpets are more or less bomb proof, Dunno about hoggies tho.

Gregg M
04-07-13, 06:51 PM
no clue, I always ask for enclosure pics and see the animals before paying. Seems to be a breeder as he said they were in a large rack system. Usually I just inquire, but I did manage to get some nice snakes before (bad husbandry but snakes were fine, a few jungle carpets)

Plus if its on Craigslist usually they really need the money, and I can haggle them real low.

I can tell you right now, if the guy is trying to sell snakes on craigs list, he is not a known or established breeder. No breeder worth his weight in salt would sell through CL.

Personally, I do not sell pairs of albino hogs for under $400. And those are the lowest in color.

If you want to have an enjoyable experience with keeping hognose snakes, buy from a well known established breeder. There are plenty of us out here.

smy_749
04-07-13, 06:58 PM
I can tell you right now, if the guy is trying to sell snakes on craigs list, he is not a known or established breeder. No breeder worth his weight in salt would sell through CL.

Personally, I do not sell pairs of albino hogs for under $400. And those are the lowest in color.

If you want to have an enjoyable experience with keeping hognose snakes, buy from a well known established breeder. There are plenty of us out here.

I agree, normally I just like to see what the asking prices are and how low I can lowball him. I didn't mean established breeder, just a hobbyist breeder. If I was breeding anything easy to keep, I would post on craigslist,fauna, kingsnake, facebook...a sale is a sale. Just make sure you provide proper info on husbandry ,why does it matter where I sell them?

MMost
04-10-13, 12:00 PM
"You pay for what you get!" My mom always told me that growing up and I will have to contest to that today! I believe what Gregg is trying to get at is just be careful of who you are buying the snakes from. If they do not have feeding records and or will not show you the animals I would avoid the snakes. Hognose can be tricky at times, and unless you are experienced with getting these animals going they can be a headache (especially if they had been neglected with their prior keeper). However this is my opinion on the matter: if you are a first time hognose keeper I would advise you to contact a reputable breeder as they have experience in the matter and can help you both in your care and breeding success. Good luck on the acquisition of your next and/or first hognose!

smy_749
04-11-13, 01:23 PM
He reposted them with a pic and 400$ price tag. I wasnt interested before but for crazy cheap I woulda took the gamble. 400 is not crazy cheap.

Gregg M
04-11-13, 05:04 PM
400 is not crazy cheap.

Nope, not crazy cheap. That price is right where it shoud be. I always laugh when people try to low ball me. I do not get insulted at all. I just wonder why they would think I would sell them cheaper than my asking price. I would keep them back and breed them myself the following year before I sold them under my asking price. Fortunately, I have not had to do that yet.

smy_749
04-11-13, 05:35 PM
Nope, not crazy cheap. That price is right where it shoud be. I always laugh when people try to low ball me. I do not get insulted at all. I just wonder why they would think I would sell them cheaper than my asking price. I would keep them back and breed them myself the following year before I sold them under my asking price. Fortunately, I have not had to do that yet.

Eh, some of the people on craigslist are desperate for cash. :P