PDA

View Full Version : Herp Trip anyone

Weather1
01-30-03, 05:24 PM
I was wondering if the members of ssnakess would like to put together a few herp trips this summer.

I would like to help organize a few trips around the Ontario area.

I'm just looking for suggestions now and see what you would like to look for and where.

Then with the feedback we can start some planning.

Weather1
01-30-03, 05:42 PM
All interests are welcome.

Snakes
Frogs
Lizards
Spiders
Salamanders...etc

Anything you want

If you want a bird watching day we can do that also

Lisa
01-31-03, 02:41 PM
Not a bad idea

Matt
01-31-03, 03:20 PM
i would definelty be interested in putting together a massassauga rattlesnake trip to Georgian Bay this summer if anyone is interested!

Lisa
01-31-03, 04:57 PM
Massassauga's are one of my favourite rattlers

Swampwalker
02-01-03, 02:01 AM
Join the OHS, they always have great field trips, and many members who spend the whole season out herping.

Weather1
02-02-03, 09:55 AM
Swampwalker can you post a link to the OHS

Swampwalker
02-02-03, 04:06 PM
The link the OHS is http://king-snake.ca/ohs/
(remove the dash between King & snake for the link to work. I really hate that this word is filtered out :mad: )
you might also want to check out The Herp Journal http://herpjournal.blogspot.com/ where several OHS members and herpers can report their field sightings

Scales Zoo
02-03-03, 08:21 AM
SCALES is hosting HISS in the Hills in southwest Sask, mother's day weekend, May 10 and 11. We are in a remote location with special permission to access the densites. (all of the snake species - rattlers, bullsnakes and western hognose are protected here - field collection prohiobited) Last years mothers day count yielded 60 prairie rattlers, 28 bullsnakes and at least a hundred black widow spiders in a 4 hour period. The most spectacular finds were a patternless rattler, and a hypo bullsnake. Excellent photo opportunities on private land, email Ryan@scaleszoo.com for registration info.

Dino
02-05-03, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Matt
i would definelty be interested in putting together a massassauga rattlesnake trip to Georgian Bay this summer if anyone is interested!

I was already going to do that!! But a group trip would be an awesome idea....

I am in for sure!

Lizzy001
02-05-03, 03:10 PM
well us in the uk can always go worm hunting.......

Get ur nets ready!

any one interested?? LOL!
:p

U dont know how lucky u people are!:D

Dino
02-05-03, 03:12 PM
Lizzy

You should do a search on the web to see what types of herps you have in your area you might be surprised!

Michael Gibson
02-09-03, 11:18 AM
I'd be very interested in going on some of these herp field trips! I'm particularly interested in the ones to look for massassauga (sp?) rattlers in and around Georgian Bay. This is near home for me (I'm in Huntsville) and I would be very kean to see them somewhere other than the display at the Metro Zoo.

Just out of curiosity, where near here do people go to look for local herps? We've found a couple of types of toads in our backyard (we have millions of black crickets in the summer... great gecko food!) and some tree frogs. Our neighbours found a garter snake of some sort, but their dog had chewed it up pretty badly. We also find lots of red backed salamanders (my sons favourites!) in the forest out back.

We're all kean, we just don't know where else to go and what to look for.

Michael

P.S. is there any sort of Ontario Herps List on the web? Sort of like a birders life list... It might help us to at least know what others have found, and where.

Dino
02-09-03, 04:09 PM
Try this site Michael!

Ontario Herp List (http://www.glfc.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/landscape/herp_e.html)

Dino

Ritus_Reptile
02-24-03, 04:36 PM
Hey I was wondering if you guys know any good herping spots in New York. Also what do you think is the best time of year/day to go out herping in N.Y> I am trying to get more pics of black rats snakes and eastern milks. These are the two species I have the fewests pics of in the wild. Any one know of a place where they are abundant? We dont find too many in southern New York.

Steph/NY
03-14-03, 11:44 PM
great idea!!
Let me know, please, and I'll take a plane from NY!!
S.