PDA

View Full Version : Feeding ducks

RandyRhoads
03-13-13, 12:40 PM
Any reason not to feed a burm a farm raised duck?

SpOoKy
03-13-13, 12:47 PM
Don't see why not. I would think they would be fatty though.

RandyRhoads
03-13-13, 01:27 PM
Parasites for my main concern. I don't understand the difference between a wild food item in the Farmridge animal that lives in dirty water.

SpOoKy
03-13-13, 01:52 PM
I see. Not sure about that but what would be the difference between feeding a farm raised duck and keepers who feed chicks? Personally I don't know enough about how parasites live and are contracted. I don't really have enough insight on this topic but I am curious to see what others have to say. Sorry

KORBIN5895
03-13-13, 03:05 PM
Try it and see. I know a guy that fee his retic pike for years that were caught in a river.

Aaron_S
03-13-13, 03:09 PM
There was once a wicked cool giant snakes forum.

A guy owned a retic and a burm. He used to trap on his land all the time. Tied prey items together with some sort of safe string, unsure what it was.

I wish I could have gotten the pics but he fed them skunk, raccoon and a few other things. Not really as a staple though.

RandyRhoads
03-13-13, 04:45 PM
Try it and see....? See what if my Burm dies? There's no way in hell i'm feeding raccoon or skunks.

I've been told wild caught food is not ok, and riddled with parasites. But where do rabbits, chickens and ducks come from? The conditions don't look that much more favorable....

I've heard the story of people feeding roadkill and such. But where is the safe line on stuff like that?

Theweinz
03-13-13, 04:54 PM
Try it and see. I know a guy that fee his retic pike for years that were caught in a river.

I would be cautious about wild trapped food, but I would have enjoyed watching a retic eat a large pike! Crap must have stunk real bad!:eek:

stephanbakir
03-13-13, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't do it... parasites are one thing... but what else have those ducks ate that you dont want your burm eating...

KORBIN5895
03-13-13, 05:22 PM
Try it and see....? See what if my Burm dies? There's no way in hell i'm feeding raccoon or skunks.

I've been told wild caught food is not ok, and riddled with parasites. But where do rabbits, chickens and ducks come from? The conditions don't look that much more favorable....

I've heard the story of people feeding roadkill and such. But where is the safe line on stuff like that?

Don't you hunt and fish? Do you not eat what you kill and catch? I'm missing the difference here ....

stephanbakir
03-13-13, 05:48 PM
Don't you hunt and fish? Do you not eat what you kill and catch? I'm missing the difference here ....
I'm assuming he cooks most of what he fishes. Hunting is the same deal. I dont cook most of what I catch but I make damn sure its clean, and comes from a clean area.
Can't do that without cutting the animal open and playing with its insides.

Starbuck
03-13-13, 06:38 PM
I wouldnt go with ducks, by nature they live in water and are exposed to a lot more parasites, most parasites are contracted by ingestion of eggs or intermediate hosts such as nematodes, snails, and insects which are also found in water... hence ducks are naturally more exposed to be potential carriers. That being said, im not sure a farm raised duck would be potentially carrying a snake parasite; BUT... you never know. better safe than sorry?

Revenant
03-13-13, 11:44 PM
For me, it would depend on the farm. The more free-range and access to questionable bodies of water, the more I'd worry about parasites. Haven't kept ducks recently, but even though we kept ours contained and with access only to man-made, fairly controlled bodies of water we still had to give them preventative wormers annually because we lived near a refuge and wild ducks and geese were not above stopping by to visit. If they've been wormed, that could be harmful. If they haven't, it could be a crapshoot.

As far as as a snake food source, I've never used them for that purpose but I've heard anecdotally that the fat content and feathers make for poos from Hell with a retic.

ETA: Honestly, I probably wouldn't, but I know I have a tendency to err on the side of caution (or paranoia) with my animals.

KORBIN5895
03-14-13, 12:10 AM
I'm assuming he cooks most of what he fishes. Hunting is the same deal. I dont cook most of what I catch but I make damn sure its clean, and comes from a clean area.
Can't do that without cutting the animal open and playing with its insides.

I believe there are lots of parasites that will not die even when cooked. I also guess that I eat all of my red meat medium rare.....

stephanbakir
03-14-13, 12:28 AM
I eat most of my meat "blue", most of my fish is "sashimi" poultry and pork I tend to cook a little more, but generally all meat taste like garbage (to ME) when they are cooked fully.

guyabano
03-14-13, 01:56 AM
I don't see why not. I knew a guy who would shoot feral pigeons and feed them to his animals, not just the snakes. Do everything you can to ensure that they'd be safe for consumption though. Obviously parasites, externally visible markers of disease should be noted. Take care

RandyRhoads
03-14-13, 02:00 AM
I believe there are lots of parasites that will not die even when cooked. I also guess that I eat all of my red meat medium rare.....
Which might those be...? I believe you're thinking of prions..

I'm not going to risk it. I'm sticking with rabbits.