PDA

View Full Version : burm feeding

katey
01-27-03, 08:46 AM
Hey all just some input need, we have a pair of albino burms, before we moved both were feeding great. After we moved they stopped eating for a while. I wasn't to worried figured it was just the time of year (Nov) and the stress of moving.

In Dec both ate and we figured all was well again. They ate once and again stopped eating. Still as the male was 4.5' and the female almost 6' I wasn't worried.

We checked out our husbandry and all seems well, temp range of 78-98, 2 hides, big water tub for soaking.

Come January the female started eating reguarily again, every week she takes down an adult rat. The male however is still not eating. He moves around the enclosure form the hot to cold spots, is still very active at night, and his temperment seems fine, however as it's now been 3 month's with only one meal I'm starting to get just a little worried.

So any input would be welcomed, thaks in advance all.

crochunter
01-30-03, 08:28 AM
Mine were acting the same way but now they are eating regularly again so I'm guessing it must be the time of year.

snakemann87
02-12-03, 07:35 PM
id think that 98 would be alittle high, anyone disagree? what food type? try different kinds, and P/K so its fresh and smells stronger

ReptileX
02-24-03, 10:25 PM
I've seen/herd a full grown burm go without eating for a year and hes fine....now its been 2 years and its dead all skin and bones no reason why though..
what works for me though is offering different food types, he may just be getting picky....if not food types, try differnet feeding methods, fresh kill, stuned, alive, thawed.... good luck i know how it feels... edit made...wasn't my snake either...

Hamster of Borg
03-06-03, 01:36 PM
98 is way too high... no reason to go over 90. And I wouldn't worry about being off feed... sometimes they can be a little flakey - especially in the winter.

One question though, are these kept together in the same cage? If so, stress could be a factor.

Ham

Dom
03-06-03, 02:09 PM
Id say a high basking spot for a burm is not that bad.. 98 is a bit high but not excesivly high to make it dangerous..

They are prone to RI so better have temps a bit higher than too low.. Personally .. I would bring it down to about 92 although as i said .. 98 is not dangerous.. IMO