PDA

View Full Version : Those darn jumping beans!!!

Pixie
01-25-03, 12:51 PM
I was cleaning my mice tanks earlier and when it came to one of the tanks with mom and four small hoppers, as I was taking them out and putting them in another container the hoppers went nuts and wouldn't stop jumping. Really looked like mexican jumping beans or corn popping. Real cute until 2 of them jump right out of the container and zoom out of my sight instantly!!!

One was found by my dog a few seconds later on the floor but the other one is still AWOL... I've ckecked every crook and corner I could see but I still haven't found the other bugger. I doubt my dog would have gotten him because I would have seen it and he would most likely play with it more than anything.

Now, how do I find my missing little hopper?! He's barely weaned, eyes open for 2 days now and not eating fully on it's own. I've set a "trap" for him which is a small plastic container with a hole on the bottom for an entrance with some old bedding from his cage with the smell of mom and some food. I'm hoping he'll eventually find it... There's another spot under a desk in the kitchen where the dog food bowls are that have a couple of kibbles on the floor so I'm checking that area regularly too.

Is there anything else I can try?

I'm sure going to be more careful with my jumping beans next time!!!

andrea88
01-25-03, 04:56 PM
I bought a few of those "live" mice traps that you can get pretty much anywhere. (WalMart, Home Depot etc.) They can trap up to 3 mice without killing them. I fill mine with peanut butter and will usually catch the escapee within a day or two.
It is called a "Victor mice trap" and it is made of dark green plastic, I got mine for $6 cdn.

Lisa
01-25-03, 05:45 PM
You could always get a cat. :)

vanderkm
01-25-03, 09:53 PM
We have had a couple escapees and we use a regular mouse trap baited with cheese or peanut butter. We have tried the live traps but they sprung very easily and we were never able to get them to catch the mice. The snap traps work great though. Those little hoppers really can jump!

mary v.

Pixie
01-26-03, 12:09 AM
Good news, the little escapee has been recovered. He was found by my bf near the dog dishes. I had a feeling it would end up there cause of the heater being near and the couple of kibble bits. So he's back with mom and siblings and I am resting much better now :) Thanks for the tips though, I will keep them in mind if there is a next time.

Pythonian
01-26-03, 07:32 AM
u shoulda put a snake on the floor that hasn't fed for months and made him go look for it lol

mike

Pixie
01-26-03, 07:51 AM
I actually contemplated that for a few moments!!! But then I was too afraid to lose the snake so I figured it would be best to wait and see if the little bugger pops up.

Lisa
01-26-03, 11:22 PM
You're better off with a cat to do it, then you have a chance of disposing of the rodent before the cat eats it