PDA

View Full Version : All you retic owners that raised the babies!

Relentless
11-06-12, 08:34 PM
I know, I know, I'm going crazy with the threads.

Burm owners feel free to chime in too since growth rates are quite similar. What did you guys house your baby giants in? How many times in the first year did you upgrade your enclosures? What setups did you use?

marvelfreak
11-07-12, 01:50 PM
I know, I know, I'm going crazy with the threads.

Burm owners feel free to chime in too since growth rates are quite similar. What did you guys house your baby giants in? How many times in the first year did you upgrade your enclosures? What setups did you use?
Not even close. Retic grow at a much fast rate. They go from 24"inches to 13 feet in just the first year. You would have to power feed a burm to get this kind of growth rate. And power feeding any animal is never good has it shorten their live span.

As to to question when i had Burmese i started babies out in a 3x1x2 cage. Then when they got big i moved them to a 6x4x4. the biggest Burm i ever own was a 13 footer and this size worked perfected.

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 02:04 PM
13 ft in one year? A female only. You don't need males that big. Males can get a little rough with their girls sometimes. Their teeth are longer as well. An 8-9 ft male is fine for breeding at the right age. I have seen males at 6 ft breed just fine if old enough. Feed your males at a similar schedule but smaller meals.

Lankyrob
11-07-12, 02:14 PM
13 ft in one year? A female only. You don't need males that big. Males can get a little rough with their girls sometimes. Their teeth are longer as well. An 8-9 ft male is fine for breeding at the right age. I have seen males at 6 ft breed just fine if old enough. Feed your males at a similar schedule but smaller meals.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting under feeding a male to keep it small?

Relentless
11-07-12, 02:15 PM
Thanks! And really? I was under the impression a burm grew as quickly as the retic did, meaning anywhere between 8 to 13 or 14 ft. in the first year depending on the sex of the animal obviously and how much they are fed.

I am not and will not advocate power feeding, so no worries. I would never consider feeding a snake less just to regulate the size or "underfeed". Although is this a common practice for breeders due to what you are saying metalserpent?

Relentless
11-07-12, 02:16 PM

Yeah, I was wondering too. I have no intentions of underfeeding. The reason I want a retic is because of their explosive growth rate. It's amazing to watch.

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 02:34 PM

It is not a two position switch. Under or over. Please think about what I posted. Ask a breeder of your choice. Females need more food to produce young. Especially in the 3-4 months before breeding season. Producing young takes a lot out of her. So her meals need to be larger. Am I a breeder? Working on it. However my info comes from experienced breeders. A close friend has one of the largest breeding collections on the west coast. Also I have been advised by the retic guys at prehistoric pets. Ask them if you wish please. Along with a few other breeders as well.

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I was wondering too. I have no intentions of underfeeding. The reason I want a retic is because of their explosive growth rate. It's amazing to watch.

Agreed a retic's growth is amazing to watch but once that growth rate slows and you have an 18 ft snake with another 25 years left to live. Then what? Think long term. Also an 18 ft retic is stronger than anything you have ever dealt with. The food needed gets expensive. Rabbits, guinea pigs, fetal pigs. Not cheap. Jumbo rats at 8-10 ea per meal. Think about it.

Rogue628
11-07-12, 03:01 PM
A burms growth rate is just as amazing to watch and is considered more laid back than a retic. They're more apt to forgive a newbs mistake whereas retics typically don't.

I started both my burm girls off in small tubs. I always but my babies in small tubs. It usually gives them a better sense of security. Every time their length was longer than the wide and length of their tub, I upgraded them to a larger tub. I went through 4 different sized tubs in the first year. They went for being about 24" long to about 7 feet in the first year.

I know it's not as an explosive growth as retics, but their still amazing animals to work with.

I do have plans on getting a retic this next season. Getting ready for one now :D

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 03:23 PM
With retics a baby does not need a large tub as they can stress easily. No all do but they can. I started mine out in a 28 qt sterrite tub or something of similar size. Once they out grew that in a few weeks, I moved them into a 4 ft vision. At around 8 ft I moved them into a 6 ft vision. My largest is around 14 ft now. She will be moving into a 8 ft cage soon.

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 03:41 PM
Those of you who plan on getting a retic, I hope in some way to have assisted you in making a more informed decision. I have seen and spoken to many who were not. I have been fortunate to have been coached by some truly inspiring keepers and breeders. Giant snakes are a lot of fun. However with their size comes giant responsibilities. The entertainment factor is but a small part of it.

Relentless
11-07-12, 04:59 PM
Metalserpent and Rogue, thank you so much for your input. It makes me happy to see people being eager to educate others. Especially about giant snakes since I know they fall into the wrong hands far too often. That is why we are suffering from these ridiculous country-wide bans.

Metalserpent, I would not have a single intention of buying a hatchling giant just to watch it grow and then dump it. I want to make that very clear. The snake I purchase will have a lifetime home with me. I could not do that to an animal or our industry/hobby.

Rogue, the burm was actually my first choice but due to the ban, it would be next to impossible for me to get a hatchling. There aren't any burm breeders in my state that I know of. Burms are definitely the cutest hatchlings and I find their face (baby or adult) to be the most adorable and inviting of the large snakes. :)

Oh and metalserpent, try feeding a horse for a month in my state! Then we can talk about food bills, haha. ;)

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 05:05 PM
Hahahaha. We had a horse when I was a kid and I remember Dad griping about the food bill.

iBaman
11-07-12, 05:06 PM
Retics are supposed to get to 14 feet in the first year? Man, and I thought pajamas was huge for being 6 1/2 ft at a year old... =/ For now, he's in a 120 gallon aquarium, i'm getting an artificial christmas tree tote asap, and eventually plan on building him an enclosure...Had i not lost my job, it would have already been built...but, ce la vie!!

Relentless
11-07-12, 05:09 PM
iBaman, only 6 feet?! He's not a dwarf or superdwarf is he?! How much/often does he eat?

iBaman
11-07-12, 05:13 PM
nope, he's a super tiger albino, too. He eats once a week, except as of late, he's only accepting about once every 3 or 4 weeks...

millertime89
11-07-12, 05:59 PM
No retic will reach 14 feet in its first year. The biggest ever confirmed was an abnormally large Sula that nearly broke 9 in the first year. Typically you'll see under 8 feet in the first year. Burms when fed on the same schedule as a retic should grow just as fast.

iBaman
11-07-12, 06:05 PM
Phew, thanks for clearing that up, Kyle! I thought they usually stayed around 8 to 10 ft the first year, then the growth rate slows down a little.

millertime89
11-07-12, 06:11 PM
usually is the 5-7ft range but approaching 8 isn't what I would call uncommon. Yes the growth rate does slow down because they start putting on weight instead of length.

iBaman
11-07-12, 06:19 PM
yeah, he's definitely doing that, the little fatty. he'll likely not grow very fast right now, as he's decided once a monthish is fine to eat >.<

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 06:40 PM
No retic will reach 14 feet in its first year. The biggest ever confirmed was an abnormally large Sula that nearly broke 9 in the first year. Typically you'll see under 8 feet in the first year. Burms when fed on the same schedule as a retic should grow just as fast.
Thank you for posting this. Baman, your retic is a male. His size is fine. If he is eating shedding crapping and behaving normal you are doing fine. Enjoy him. Our 14 ft female is a white phase tiger. She is 3.5 yrs old. I don't push mine.
A long and healthy life I feel is far more important than a **** measuring contest.

millertime89
11-07-12, 06:44 PM
also, don't be surprised to see 5 feet in 6 months. This is Thingy, about 5 ft and 5 months old.
http://www.1320video.com/img/album404/MG_3177.sized.jpg

millertime89
11-07-12, 06:45 PM
A long and healthy life I feel is far more important than a **** measuring contest.

Most certainly. They need to be 3 years old before they can breed anyways, let them take that full time to get there.

iBaman
11-07-12, 07:25 PM
Thank you for posting this. Baman, your retic is a male. His size is fine. If he is eating shedding crapping and behaving normal you are doing fine. Enjoy him. Our 14 ft female is a white phase tiger. She is 3.5 yrs old. I don't push mine.

that's exactly what I was thinking xD Just get stressed out when I see conflicting info >.<

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 07:32 PM
Here is a pretty girl. She is about 12 ft. She will be 3 yrs old in April. We call her Sunshine.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/TDserpents/snakes/12head.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/TDserpents/snakes/12.jpg

iBaman
11-07-12, 07:38 PM
wow, she's beautiful!!

Metalserpent
11-07-12, 07:44 PM
Thanks, we really dig her. Nice lookin tic Kyle!

Relentless
11-08-12, 08:35 AM
Wow, Sunshine is gorgeous! She has stunning color and such a good size. She is like the perfect length to girth ratio. What is that morph called and how is it produced?

MoreliAddict
11-08-12, 10:33 AM
Here is a pretty girl. She is about 12 ft. She will be 3 yrs old in April. We call her Sunshine.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/TDserpents/snakes/12head.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/TDserpents/snakes/12.jpg
Brian at bhb has and albino Burm named Sunshine, too!

Nice snake!

Will0W783
11-08-12, 11:30 AM
Honestly some of the extreme retic growth rates one finds on the internet unrealistic, or unhealthy for the snake. If fed frequent, very large meals, a female retic CAN hit 10-12 feet in its first year. Is this good for the snake? Probably not. My female retic, a supertiger (not dwarf at all), is fed 2 medium rats (my supplier's large are more like most people's large) every two weeks. She is a year and a half old, and about 6 feet long. When I bought her a year ago, she was 2 feet long. She was fed a small rat every 7-10 days for the first 6 months, then two small rats every 2 weeks, then a medium, then two mediums, and she is almost big enough to take a large. I am not underfeeding her, nor am I powerfeeding her. I was really surprised by her slow growth, from what I've read on retics, but I think that people tend to overfeed them to get them to breeding size faster.

millertime89
11-08-12, 11:46 AM
Sunshine is gorgeous! Is she gravid? Albino supertiger? Sorry Kim, even the people that I know that powerfeed, don't get their retics that big that fast, I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. 12 ft and 3 years is, IMO, a perfect size and growth rate. They don't need to be monsters to lay. In fact, the people that do have obese retics seem to have problems getting healthy eggs because the snake isn't healthy. A retic is not supposed to look like a burm.

I wish Thingy were mine, amazing little paradox tiger het purple owned by Shane Costello.

Metalserpent
11-08-12, 12:44 PM
Straight up. I could not care less if someone thinks she could be bigger. Sunshine is healthy and thriving. I am not in a growth rate contest. I do not push my snakes for growth. I never will. This whole concept is the reason I do not post on retic forums. When I do breed her she will be ready for it. I don't care how many eggs as long as the clutch and the pair that produced them are healthy and strong.

Sunshine is a white phase albino sunfire super tiger. Produced from a suntiger het and a lavender tiger.
She came from my good friend Jim Jolly of Lancaster CA.

millertime89
11-08-12, 12:55 PM
I wish Thingy were mine, amazing little paradox tiger het purple owned by Shane Costello.

I mispoke, Paradox Suntiger het purple, or maybe she's a purple paradox suntiger, not really sure how that plays out honestly.

Metalserpent
11-08-12, 01:08 PM
Sunshine came from a clutch of 24 eggs. There was one purple paradox in the clutch. I forgot who has her. I also have a female purple from the same clutch. She is about a foot longer than sunshine.

millertime89
11-08-12, 02:15 PM
Was she from Bob Clark? If the paradox was a male it was I think I know who has him.

Metalserpent
11-08-12, 03:39 PM
No, this clutch was produced by my good friend Jim Jolly of Lancaster California, hatched in March of 2010. So they are old enough to breed in the spring. I know who has the paradox from that clutch. I see him at shows out here at Jim's booth. Can't remember his name. God I gate getting old.

lemon
11-08-12, 04:39 PM
I think also some of the misinformation comes from people not really knowing the age of their snakes.

I have many retics. A guy I know has a Sumatran retic and it has managed 11 foot in one year ...................BUT.......that's 11 feet in the one year he's had her it doesn't mean she's a year old. As she was wild caught even though she was only around 3-3.5 foot when he bought her and a year later she is around 11 feet she could easliy be 1.5 years old or even upto 2 years old etc. Yet he commonly states he has a retic that got to 11 foot in her first year, which is sort of true lol, but she isnt a year old :-)

Within my collection I have 2 baby wild caught sumatrans, they were around 2 foot when i got them in July this year so I'm guessing they were a couple of months old, one is now over 5 foot so by april/may next year when she will be roughly be a year old she could be 9-11 foot, but this is still exceptional and she is a fantastic feeder, female and the largest retic local there is. Her sister on the other hand is just under 4 foot and she was slightly larger when i got them both.

I also have a 6.5 year old that is 16 foot and a younger 6 year old which is just over 19 foot. They all grow at different rates and some grow for longer. I know of a retic that as only 16ft at 5 years old and is now nearly 22 foot because she grew slowly but surely all her life.

iBaman
11-08-12, 04:46 PM
I know Pajamas was a very late 2011. Here's a pic of him in march:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/BuriedMyselfAlive333/pajamas.jpg

And a pic of him today (he's wrapped around me twice, and this is his skinny parts..I'll post a sized pic of him later today)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/BuriedMyselfAlive333/DSC00347.jpg

Metalserpent
11-08-12, 05:28 PM
Very cool Lemon. Thanks for posting that.

Metalserpent
11-08-12, 07:01 PM
Nice lookin tic Baman

iBaman
11-08-12, 07:07 PM
thanks =3 I think he's gorgeous.

Relentless
11-09-12, 07:03 AM
That's because he is gorgeous!

nick654377
11-13-12, 06:00 PM
they have an albino purple retic where i got rocky from. so purdy!!

reptileexperts
11-17-12, 09:29 AM
I think this post missed a good chunk of the OP's question - I start / started my retics in 32 qt tubs, which then got moved into 41 qt tubs, and then they go into 4', or 6' Vivs. These are Dwarf Species though that are of the Jampea Local mostly. My Superdwarfs go from a 32 qt, to a 4x2 PVC when they are ready and do well like this. When they are young I truly think they benifit from being in a tub versus a custom enclosure. You want to maximize your ability to raise these animals without always changing tanks or providing too large of an enclosure too quick that can stress the animal as well. Also note with Juveniles, it is MUCH easier to control the humidity and sheds with a tub, as well as get started with hook training early on if you want to instill this in your reticulated python.

As far as growth rates grow, it varies and there is no set limit, only the limit of the snakes geneitcs and ability to grow. You can provide plenty of large meals and get to a larger snake faster. But this doesn't mean that it's a good thing, but let me examine a slighty off base but interesting comparison:

People were stating in the US that children were reaching sexual maturity faster due to possible chemical interactions or "toxins" that we eat in certain processed foods. They were finding out that girls were able to become pregnant and have a child at the age of 10. . . Which is unheard of right? We'll, a little more research has been done in the matter, and the reason this is now able to happen is because 10 year old girls are getting quite large quite quick. All the abundance of fast food / junk food pushes the body to sexual maturity faster because there is enough resources available within the body. If we apply this sort of thinking, you CAN breed reptiles at younger ages if the weights are up to par, but it does not mean that it is the thing to do. When people discuss sexual maturity we use to think in terms of age because it was when we knew it happened in the wild. But places where food is more scarce tend to be able to breed at a smaller size, but relatively same age. Take in contrast, if you have that same speices, give it ample food, its body will physically be able to reach sexual maturity faster, but at a price for sure. We do not know the consequences of early breeding / power feeding other than the fact it typically leads to obessity and a weaker individual over all. But for the sake of a scientific standpoint - Sexual maturity is reached when the individual animal is capable of reproducing, which does in turn link back to certain weight and body mass requirements - this is why people have succesfully bred 18 month old ball pythons and retics, and is why people will continue to do so. Everyone is always looking to get a faster ROI and that's their business, I'm not for nor against this. Just stating a few facts that may be misleading in this thread.

Cheers

iBaman
11-17-12, 09:43 AM
you should totally post more =3

reptileexperts
11-17-12, 09:56 AM
I shall try!

Squirtle
11-21-12, 12:07 AM
I got my Albino Burmese Python December of 2010. He was a little hatchling then; in his first year, he grew to be about 6 foot long. Next month is his birthday, and he's coming up to 9 feet. I have to agree with some people that wrote on this thread, nearly everyone that has a giant get to over 9 feet within their first year power feeds it some how. My Tiger Reticulated Python was born on Valentines Day of 2012 and he's only about 5 feet right now. Main reason for this because I started both of my snakes out on mice since small rats are very difficult to find in my area. I then switch my snakes from adult mice to medium rats and eventually chickens. I started my burm out in a 30 gallon long tank for about 8 months of his life, then built him a 5 x 3 cage; my retic will most likely get a bigger one when he gets to size. However, I plan on getting them both 8 foot cages when I'm out of my parents house in a few years. I feed both of my snakes appropriate sized meals every two weeks.. I feed them this way because I want them to grow at their own rate and have no intentions on breeding them anytime soon..