PDA

View Full Version : Hognose Care Sheet

AjaMichelle
10-05-12, 12:17 AM
Can you recommend a good one? :)

Gregg M
10-05-12, 07:28 AM
Here is how I keep mine and I am very successful with keeping them, growing them up to maturity, and breeding them.

Housing- Hogs can be kept in a variety of different cage types. Glass cages with modified tops, small vision type cages, and rack systems are how they are commonly kept.

Humidity- While hog do come from arid areas in the US, Mexico, and Canada, they spend lots of time underground where the humidity level is much higher than the surface. It is important in my opinion to offer a place where hogs can retreat to in order to retain their moisture and stay hydrated. This can be in the form of a plastic lidded container with a hole cut in the top. You can use spagnum moss or eco-earth type substrates.

Temperature- Hognose snake like it hot. I keep my hogs with a 95°F basking spot and maintain their abient cool side at around 80°F. There is no need for night drops.

Substrate- Hogs like ti dig. It is best in my opinion to offer a substrate they can burrow in. I prefer fine sredded aspen. It holds burrows and also absorbs waste pretty well.

Feeding- Hognose snakes have very high metabolisms especially when being kept at proper temperatures. My hogs are fed every 3 days and sometimes even more frequenty. Try not to over do it with the prey size as it can cause regurgitation.

I am actually working on a really detailed care guide and it should be complete tonight. I will post it up when it is finished.

AjaMichelle
10-05-12, 08:52 AM
Gregg thank you so much!!! :)

I'm getting my first today! I have an adult Burm but I've never kept or raised any other snake species and I'm so excited!!!

The individual I'm getting is a male and has already been switched to mice and has eaten several times.

The care information you've provided is just what I was expecting. :) do you use an UTH for the hot spot?

Gregg M
10-05-12, 03:38 PM
No problem Aja.

My hognose collection is maintained in rack systems. Mine are all either back heated or bottom heated with the use of flexwatt heat tape. It is all thermostaticall controled.

You can use a UTH or overhead heat lamps to heat you hognose. I would prefer a UTH on a thermostat over a heat lamp. Thats just my preference.