PDA

View Full Version : Feeding fish to hognose??

Juicykirstie
09-25-12, 10:57 AM
I was looking around and couldn't find this. But I was wondering what types of fish could I feed to a hog nose, and how much should this make of his diet? (:

Norm66
09-25-12, 12:10 PM
I presume you're asking about Western hognoses? If so, continue reading. If not don't. ;)

When I asked about nutrition I was told once you get them on rodents not to feed anything else. Nutrition is not, apparently, a problem.

Gregg M
09-25-12, 04:01 PM
I was looking around and couldn't find this. But I was wondering what types of fish could I feed to a hog nose, and how much should this make of his diet? (:

You really should not be feeding fish to hognose snakes. Fish do not make up a singe part of their diet in the wild. There is not one single good reason to feed fish to hognose snakes.

If a hognose snake is an established rodent feeder, it should be kept that way. No need at all to vary their diet. They get exactly what they need to live and thrive and live long healthy lives from an all rodent diet.

infernalis
09-25-12, 04:28 PM
could not agree more...stick with rodents.

rmfsnakes32
09-25-12, 04:56 PM
Agreed as well!

Skumbo
09-25-12, 04:58 PM
Unless there is a rodent fish I don't know about, Stick to regular rodents.

TheBoogieDown
09-25-12, 05:01 PM
could not agree more...stick with rodents.

I read somewhere that most fish contain something that will cause a (potentially fatal) Vitamin B1 deficiency. Any truths to this??

Juicykirstie
09-25-12, 05:52 PM
Thanks everyone! I wasn't sure. I saw somewhere that someone was doing it and was courious about it

Gregg M
09-25-12, 07:56 PM
I read somewhere that most fish contain something that will cause a (potentially fatal) Vitamin B1 deficiency. Any truths to this??

Its called thiaminase and it is 100% true.

Check this vid out.

Zombie Alligator - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4zHUokFF8)

jaleely
09-25-12, 07:58 PM
That would be me. lol
My brat western hog is a brat, and not only has bitten me because i smell like fish, but refuses all food unless it is fish *rolls eyes* I have tried rodents again and again with him, and he just hisses and flares and won't eat it.
He's had no bad experiences with rodents, he's just spoiled.

I am trying to convert him back to a rodent diet. TRYING lol
He knows how to get his way. First, he bites me, then he holds out on eating, so i decide "oh i'll just give him some fish" and now he won't go back lol

He got instantly fat after like two meals. I had gone a head and added vitamin supplements, and it was rainbow trout, fresh, so there was no thiamine or salt.
I switched him to silversides, and he ate those until i ran out, but now i'm working on the rodents again. Scenting, etc.

No need to follow my example *lol* i spoil my children (dogs, fish, reptiles, etc lol)

TheBoogieDown
09-25-12, 07:58 PM
Its called thiaminase and it is 100% true.

Check this vid out.

Zombie Alligator - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC4zHUokFF8)

I thought so, I'll check out that video in a bit, but I refound where I read that at, it's a guys care "sheet" for Garters. It seemed pretty legit, but I figured I'd check it out on here first.

jaleely
10-08-12, 07:18 PM
Garters can totally eat fish, and it's something they'd eat in the wild and do eat in the wild.

Hognoses are brats, and mine refuses to eat anything but fish *lol* And no, it's not their nomal diet! I try to keep my other one away from the scent!

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n640/jaleely/snakes/Photo4632.jpg