PDA

View Full Version : My little girl ate her first rabbit tonight!

Ivanator
09-18-12, 12:32 AM
For some reason I didn't think about taking pictures, but at only 1 1/2 months old, she might be the youngest to take a rabbit! I just recently got ahold of 26 rabbit pinks and fuzzies and all of them were way too big for her except for one that was definitely a stillborn just from how it looked. I'm just so excited with her having such a strong feeding response at such a young age pretty much let's me know that feeding will never be a problem with her (one of my old retics would NOT eat rabbits no matter how I tried so I constantly had to feed like 5 huge rats every time I fed and I just got sick of it and gave him away.)

rmfsnakes32
09-18-12, 10:41 AM
Im running into that with my baby burm he got started on mice and has no interest in rat pinks or fuzzies I figure he will come around sooner or later

Slcburm
09-18-12, 09:29 PM
with the burm I would just hold out as long as you can..3-4 weeks minimum before you try a rat. If your going to monitor you can even try a live at that point if he wont take F/T

Ivanator
09-18-12, 11:26 PM
Have you tried scenting the mouse with a rat pink first so it gets used to the smell? From there you can try the rat pinks and if it doesn't take them try scenting the rat pink with the mouse. One or the other will definitely work and it'll eventually start taking them with no hesitation

Rogue628
09-19-12, 12:43 AM
That's really good, Ivan. Can you continue to get a steady supply of rabbits as your snake grows? If so, you'll never have to worry about switching again lol

rmf, I had the same issue with one of my burms. Rats never even got a feeding response from her and I tried every trick that was suggested. It took some doing but my girl finally started taking rats on her own just a few months ago. Alot of patience and consistency is the key...and a little thinking outside the box. ;)

Ivanator
09-19-12, 08:48 AM
That's really good, Ivan. Can you continue to get a steady supply of rabbits as your snake grows? If so, you'll never have to worry about switching again lol

Getting rabbits has always been easy for me. The guy I got them from works at prehistoric pets and he knows a rabbit breeder in San Diego and he just gives him all his dead ones for free so he just goes down to pick them up and I get them for $1 a pop

rmfsnakes32
09-19-12, 09:08 AM
The baby burm is only 6 weeks old and he was the smallest of his clutch mates the rats are to big for him not sure what to do he wont grow big enough to eat them if I dont feed him

Rogue628
09-19-12, 12:50 PM
Getting rabbits has always been easy for me. The guy I got them from works at prehistoric pets and he knows a rabbit breeder in San Diego and he just gives him all his dead ones for free so he just goes down to pick them up and I get them for $1 a pop

Wow! Nice! My two girls really need to be on rabbits but I'm not having any luck finding any in my area. I'm trying to find some rabbits to breed now, but I refuse to pay high pet store prices for them. The two pet stores that have them here want an insane amount for a rabbit. :O_o:

Jenn_06
09-19-12, 01:40 PM
That's great Im still trying to get my girl to eat rabbits, i always have to give her a med rat then when she is almost done put the rabbits head in her mouth, She needs start liking rabbits because Im about to get a few and start breeding.

Ivanator
09-19-12, 02:25 PM
That's great Im still trying to get my girl to eat rabbits, i always have to give her a med rat then when she is almost done put the rabbits head in her mouth, She needs start liking rabbits because Im about to get a few and start breeding.

Have you tried scenting the rat with a rabbit or vice versa? That method has never let me down.

Wow! Nice! My two girls really need to be on rabbits but I'm not having any luck finding any in my area. I'm trying to find some rabbits to breed now, but I refuse to pay high pet store prices for them. The two pet stores that have them here want an insane amount for a rabbit. :O_o:

Try checking Craigslist. I used to bring my gf with me and we would pull a story that it's for her little sister.

Lankyrob
09-19-12, 03:44 PM
Have you tried scenting the rat with a rabbit or vice versa? That method has never let me down.

Try checking Craigslist. I used to bring my gf with me and we would pull a story that it's for her little sister.

Isnt that totally morally and ethically corrupt? :unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

Ivanator
09-19-12, 05:40 PM

Isnt that totally morally and ethically corrupt? :unhappy::unhappy::unhappy:

It totally is. That's why I said that I used to do it, but then one day a little girl was saying bye to it and I felt horrible so I didn't take it and I never did it again. There's still people on there though that just want to get rid of their rabbits and don't care if it's going to be a feeder.

Lankyrob
09-20-12, 04:29 AM
[quote=Lankyrob;768802]

It totally is. That's why I said that I used to do it, but then one day a little girl was saying bye to it and I felt horrible so I didn't take it and I never did it again. There's still people on there though that just want to get rid of their rabbits and don't care if it's going to be a feeder.

If they dont mind and you are honest i see no problem, it was teh deceit that disturbed me. Glad to hear it isnt done anymore :)