PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits

Jon Conley
01-22-03, 02:44 PM
Hello to all. I must admit that I don't know a whole lot about snakes. My ignorance has kept me affraid and unwilling to learn about them for some time. But I am slowly starting to get to know people with reptiles and herps. The one thing that seems to connect us, is the need for snake food. I raise a few New Zealand White rabbits for personal consumption as well as snake food for my friends.

What I want to know is, is there a market for reasonably priced rabbits? Who would be interested in this? Shipping doesn't seem to be a problem for dead rabbits, but live ones do tend to make it an expensive proposition.

I would greatly appreciate any feed back that you all can provide.
Thanks

Edwin
01-22-03, 03:57 PM
I think only people with big constrictors would buy rabbits, and they would have to be cheaper or close to the price of 1-2 jumbo rats. The people I know that buy rabbits for their herps normally buy them from farms that supply to groceries, and they only buy prekilled.

Hope this helps.

Lisa
01-24-03, 09:56 AM
Would a large monitor be interested in rabbits?

Matt
01-24-03, 09:59 AM
just my opinion, but i think in the states (where you are, correct?) there could probably be a pretty good market for "well priced" rabbits....as long as you are willing to ship nationwide!
...and you set up a good website, or some other good way to promote yourself, i think it could work

Jon Conley
01-24-03, 02:40 PM
Generally speaking, my rabbits are comparable in price as rats (per pound). I am going to sell them live or frozen in the local market, and frozen only in the mail order market ( due to shipping costs).
I know it won't make me rich, but I think that it would be a great alternative for the larger snakes. And I like raising rabbits. I just don't want them going to waste. Thats why I'm trying to research before I get going too fast.

Thanks for the input.

JasonBrennan
01-24-03, 10:46 PM
There is a good market for rabbits in the US. The other thing to consider is can you keep up with demand once the word gets around that you are in the frozen rabbit business?? If you advertise nation wide at good prices, you will most likely get alot of responses. However, nothing turns people off to a business faster than that business constantly saying "sorry, we can't fill your order at this time, try back next month"

Just something to think about.

Jon Conley
01-25-03, 10:33 AM
Yes, I have thought about that. That's why I'm going to start slow and local, then expand for the larger market. Right now I have enough room for about 50 or so breeders.. we will see how it goes from there.

Jon Conley
01-25-03, 10:18 PM
Ok... everyone seems to be telling me that rabbits should be priced the same as rats of the same size. Ex: 2 quarter Lb. rats should cost the same as 1 half lb. rabbit.. is this correct? Do those prices reflect shipping charges? What is the going rate for frozen rats?

Thaks for putting up with my persistant questions... sometimes I just feel like I'm in a blender..lol