PDA

View Full Version : Molting

AlexisDarling
01-20-03, 02:28 PM
Hi, I have a 3 year old female BCI. She's almost at 6 feet in length. A month and a half ago we switched substrate. We went from newspaper to forest bedding. This will be her first molt with the new substrate. My question is, she likes to borrow in her bedding, usually her head mostly. Will the substate left on her affect her capability to molt properly?

I try my best to clean her off, but she goes right back or should I say under.

She does look really cute though, when she pops her head up and has a wig of "mulch."<comment only>:)

Linds
01-21-03, 03:54 PM
In the herp world it is referred to as "shedding" or "sloughing" (medically termed "edcysis"), molting is for birdies :w You should have no problems as long as humidity is adequate. The substrate should present no problems at all, but she is probably getting a little annoyed at having her head cleaned constantly :p Many species stay beneath substrate almost all the time, some not at all, and some only part of the time, this has no bearing on their shed cycle. What is important is the humidity levels, if it is too low then your snakie will have trouble and it will come off in peices, and some may not want to come off at all. Shedding time is the best time, its always so exciting to see whats underneath the old skin...kinda like opening presents :D Take care :)

Mr Maggot
01-22-03, 08:34 PM
I havent had any problems w/ forest bedding...all the sheds I've had are complete. Try misting the top layer untill it starts to clump... then let it dry for a coupla days, then repeat.