PDA

View Full Version : my new royal

KORBIN5895
07-31-12, 04:53 PM
So as many of you know I am mainly a boa guy with a pretty narrow field of interest. Because I have been helping a couple of friends find royals I decided to take the plunge! I figured it was time to share with you guys my new little one... Skelly!

Whoops! Forgot the pics. She is a little off color because she is going into shed.

http://s10.postimage.org/4mncykwlx/IMG_20120731_191445.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/4mncykwlx/)

http://s10.postimage.org/aatnph0yf/IMG_20120731_191445.jpg

Here is Another!
http://s15.postimage.org/vl47f3cif/IMG_20120731_191432.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/vl47f3cif/)

http://s15.postimage.org/uvlf2qbyx/IMG_20120731_191432.jpg

FangsAnarchy
07-31-12, 05:00 PM
I am guessing this is sarcasm? Where did you get that?

mykee
07-31-12, 05:01 PM
Dude, that animal looks like it was sucked dry by a vampire!

CK SandBoas
07-31-12, 05:05 PM
An appropriate name for that poor Royal, Skelly...... :sad:

KORBIN5895
07-31-12, 05:12 PM
I am guessing this is sarcasm? Where did you get that?

Good eye! Yes this post was made in complete sarcasm which I posted to stir the pot a bit.

Sad part is this snake is now in my care. I got it from an acquaintance at 6:30 pm today. It is a snake that was sold straight from the egg at a " steal of a deal". Two months and it hasn't shed yet nor has it eaten.

I am winging it now and am hoping to get him up to snuff and to a new home.

Wildside
07-31-12, 05:13 PM
Good eye! Yes this post was made in complete sarcasm which I posted to stir the pot a bit.

Sad part is this snake is now in my care. I got it from an acquaintance at 6:30 pm today. It is a snake that was sold straight from the egg at a " steal of a deal". Two months and it hasn't shed yet nor has it eaten.

Hasn't shed since coming out of the egg?

CK SandBoas
07-31-12, 05:15 PM

I'm surprised the poor thing is still alive! I wish you all the best with the little one!

infernalis
07-31-12, 05:20 PM
Insufficient humidity.. you need to seal the vents on that critter keeper.

http://s15.postimage.org/uvlf2qbyx/IMG_20120731_191432.jpg

Here's a shocker, people actually try and keep geckos, hamsters, mice and snakes in those things.

CDN_Blood
07-31-12, 05:27 PM
Whomever had the gaul to sell that animal should be reported to proper authorities and banned from keeping live animals. I saw the full-sized pictures apparently right before they were posted here and I received a call about the snake before that, but I was not prepared for what I saw in the large images.

I really hope you can save this thing, Kevin. You sure have your work cut out for you, but if you can do it, you'll be a hero.

As for the seller, hunt them down and report back to me. I'll deal with them myself and I won't be smiling when I do it.

Wildside
07-31-12, 05:31 PM
It's obviously severely dehydrated but if it hasn't shed since being hatched then it's possible it has some sort of defect and should probably just be put down.

FangsAnarchy
07-31-12, 05:31 PM
Oh my god that thing is alive?!

alessia55
07-31-12, 06:58 PM
He's going to need a much better enclosure (get rid of the critter keeper NOW), raise humidity, and feed. That poor thing is in awful conditions :no: Your "friend" has really neglected this poor snake.

Wildside
07-31-12, 08:31 PM
If I were going to try and help that snake of course the first thing I'd do is get it in a proper setup, with a humidity box. I'd use sphag moss in the box because it holds humidity so very well. Then I'd give that poor little guy a gatorade soak or two over the next few days. I'd also use a little VetRx to help get that shed loosened up :( I just don't know how much you'll be able to help him breh, but that's where I'd start.

jaleely
07-31-12, 08:34 PM
bath and get some water into that thing pronto. ugh, makes me sick : ( poor thing. breaks my heart : (
i can't believe it's even holding its head up : (
probably has a urate ball stuck in it's vent from being dehydrated, too. i've had a couple like that.
: ( : ( : (

if it won't eat, you can always "tail" it...cut off a rat tail, and stick the end in it's mouth until it's in the throat muscles and it will swallow it. Might be better to do blended, calcium rich mush in a feeding tube or syringe. Then again it may eat if you have a live pinky.

poor thing : (

jaleely
07-31-12, 08:35 PM
NEVER use gator-aide! Snakes can't tolerate salt! Wayne?

LISA127
07-31-12, 09:24 PM
These pics make me want to cry. :(

charlesc84
08-01-12, 01:32 AM
Wow, that's a beautiful snake!

mykee
08-01-12, 06:10 AM
Pedialyte instead of Gatorade. It's at your local drugstore. It's an electrolyte replacement for babies with the poops and pukes.

Wildside
08-01-12, 07:31 AM
Pedialyte instead of Gatorade. It's at your local drugstore. It's an electrolyte replacement for babies with the poops and pukes.

Ok use this one, but I've done the diluted gatorade before and it worked great. Of course the snake I was treating was in no where near that bad of shape :(

KORBIN5895
08-01-12, 08:11 AM
Wow, that's a beautiful snake!

Why thank you. :)

I appreciate the suggestions but I have been around here enough to have heard them all several times. I also have a couple of very experienced keepers ( 20 year and a 25 year veterans) who I have been calling and talking too. I'll shrink wrap the top of the cricket keeper and it will be staying in that for the next week for sure. If it makes it a week ...

I soaked it for 45 minuets last night and the shed came off from about 2" behind the head and down. There are a couple of hard spots on its side where the shed is stuck that might be scabs. It did poop and pee while I was working off the she. It was a runny poop. So maybe it has eaten something...

I probably won't be feeding it for a bit as it is too dehydrated to digest it.

I am also starting to suspect a neuro issue as he seems to stargaze.

Pareeeee
08-01-12, 08:24 AM
These pics make me want to cry.

Same...

Those photos made me sad...I sincerely hope you have success in bringing this little guy "back to life"

I seriously thought that was a dried-out dead snake carcass. :(

KORBIN5895
08-01-12, 09:23 PM
Well just thought I should update an d let you all know it passed between 1pm and 4:30pm today.

Oh and we may have found the sellers number.

DeesBalls
08-01-12, 09:28 PM
aw, im sorry :( you tried your best :(

CK SandBoas
08-01-12, 09:32 PM
Awww, i'm so sorry!!! At least the little one was in a much better home, even if it was only for a short period of time....

alessia55
08-01-12, 09:36 PM
:( Poor thing... At least it's suffering is over. I hope you can find whoever gave him to you. That was flat out neglect, and in this case, it did end up in the animal's death. :no:

Rogue628
08-01-12, 11:26 PM
At least you tried, Korbin, but by the time you got it, it was probably too far gone. :(

I can't believe someone tried to sell an animal in that type of condition! :angry:

KORBIN5895
08-02-12, 06:16 AM
Let me clarify this a bit. The guy I got it from is a customer of mine ( buys pinkies for his rat snake which is kept fine as far as I can tell). He purchased this a month and a half ago. In his care he said it never ate or shed. He found it on a kijiji ad that said they were fresh from the egg. So it did poop and pee the first night and we got most of the shed off. I will post a pic I took yesterday at noon to show you the difference.

Now while I had it I noticed stargazing and some head flailing. I assumed it was because of dehydration and that it couldn't control it's muscles but I am wondering if it had been over heated at some point.

CDN_Blood
08-02-12, 08:37 AM
What you were seeing was a snake losing control of its nervous system in the final throws of it's decline as the moments counted down to its inevitable death, all of which was due to extreme neglect.

Pareeeee
08-02-12, 03:59 PM
That is so sad. At least you tried. :(

jaleely
08-02-12, 07:57 PM
: ( : ( : ( : (