PDA

View Full Version : Why you shouldn't use colored lights for night heat.

millertime89
07-28-12, 01:42 PM
Good read backed up by scientific studies that are cited at the bottom.
Colored Lights | Reptile Apartment (http://reptileapartment.com/lighting/colored-lights/)

moshirimon
07-28-12, 01:52 PM
I always thought this, but never officially read it anywhere. very interesting.

MrBD1980
08-07-12, 05:22 PM
Hey,

Interesting read! Based on this I'd like to try switching to a CHE bulb from the infra red that i currently use, although I have a dome placed ontop of the mesh...would a CHE be ok in this fitting or would I need a new option?

Thanks in advance

Brian

Lankyrob
08-07-12, 05:34 PM
CHE's need a full ceramic socket to screw into, never used one with a dome tho so cant comment on that bit :)

Gungirl
08-07-12, 05:35 PM
I have a CHE in a large dome for my BTS and it is working great. It is sitting on top of Wire mesh that my BTS can't get near and it is on a thermostat. I have had it that way for a few months now with no issues yet.

infernalis
08-07-12, 06:17 PM
That was an amazing read. WOW...

Everyone, mark your IQ scores up a couple points. ;)

StudentoReptile
08-07-12, 06:52 PM
Indeed. I found this a couple weeks ago.

One can find the large dome fixtures with ceramic sockets at Walmart, Lowe's & Home Depot.

infernalis
08-07-12, 07:13 PM
Indeed. I found this a couple weeks ago.

One can find the large dome fixtures with ceramic sockets at Walmart, Lowe's & Home Depot.

Yes, I found it cheaper to buy the fixtures at wal mart and take off the dome when I wired my Sav cage.

Hard to find a ceramic socket, pre-wired with a heavy duty cord for $10 any other way.

shaunyboy
08-07-12, 09:08 PM
i've NEVER been a fan of coloured lights at night,or any light at night for that matter

i'm away to read your links mate

thanks for sharing

cheers shaun

red ink
08-08-12, 08:07 AM
Interesting...

read the article as well as

Nocturnal colour vision in geckos Lina S. V. Roth and Almut Kelber The Royal Society Biology Letters

The studies topped out at 550nm (green) - Most nocturnal bulbs are Red 650nm.
Cone receptors measure luminosity - as they have not tested under "red", no indication that geckos see red? No mention of what lumens the light sources where?

They measured swatches (coloured swatches) - no mention on how those swatches were illuminated, wether full spectrum illumination or not?

What I can surmise from it is geckos can see blue - Reflected blue as the swatch was blue V grey in the experiment.

No indication they see the Blue spectrum rather reflectance of a blue surface from an unknown spectrum (not provided in the paper) of illuminance?

Leaves me a bit unconvinced... in saying that I do not use any night time light source to begin with in my enclosure - but I do view my geckos at night under a low luminosity red LED - I have not found any disturbance in their behaviour.

Slcburm
08-08-12, 08:09 AM
For my redtail I have him currently in a 30 gallon cage and it works ok but I use a CHE. For the Burm and Retic they are in normal cages with Radient Heat Panels. Back in the day and being a snake newbie I used a blue or red light for the first few months but then I went right to CHE and wont use anything else

SWDK
08-08-12, 08:20 AM
Great read. I learned something new today. Thank for sharing!

jtfife
08-08-12, 08:28 AM
Interesting read, thank you for sharing.

Pareeeee
08-08-12, 08:46 AM
wow. I never knew that. Thankfully I've never used those coloured lights on my reptiles.

lady_bug87
08-08-12, 09:18 AM
I stopped using colored lights for my beardie after having it for a few months. I use CHEs for extra heat now

Great article

jarich
08-08-12, 11:37 AM
I think generally its not great to have coloured bulbs for a heat source, but I think this article is a little over the top. Have to agree with Red Ink, while its an interesting article, the science is more than a bit questionable. For a start, there are only two references, and those references are wisely full of caution from the authors about too much generalization based on their findings. Also the inferences and assumptions after are not necessarily related to those articles.

If nocturnal animals are able to see these colours, which seems likely, why would that by necessity disturb their circadian rhythm? Being nocturnal is not simply a result of darkness, there is a whole host of factors at play. If we are going to conjecture, it should also be noted that if you go to any country where nocturnal geckos live in proximity to humans, you'll quickly notice one thing - they congregate around lights when they are awake. This is obviously because thats where the bugs go too, but the point is that it doesn't seem to disturb their circadian rhythms at all.

The section on cladistics and inherited traits needs some heavy work. Calling BPs the "lowest evolved" and vipers the "most highly evolved" shows a misunderstanding of evolutionary mechanisms and principles. This is especially true when he tries to apply this to unrelated characteristics.

I would also question the bearded dragon example he uses. Let me add my own. I recently found out that a power outage screwed up one of my timers, the one for the heat lamp of my bearded dragon enclosure. (they have battery back ups, but the battery in this one apparently died). As a result, it was staying on throughout the night. I noticed when I happened to come into work one morning when it was still dark outside. The dragon was very obviously sleeping soundly when I entered that morning. Furthermore, he had not shown any signs of disturbance during the day in either appetite or activity as a result.

Again, not stating that we shouldnt try to get rid of any coloured lights, just questioning the inferences and results he is coming up with.

StudentoReptile
08-08-12, 11:57 AM
I have been shying away from colored light bulbs a while before this article even came out, mainly from the experiences of tortoise keepers.

My simple observation is that while yes, infrared is only part of light spectrum of which some of these species can see, in terms of circadian rhythm and nocturnal behavior...moonlight in nature is not infrared, or blue, or deep purple.

Personally, I think more studies should be done to properly understand the effects of this bulb over that bulb. Until then, we can only go by our personal experience.

I would also question the bearded dragon example he uses. Let me add my own. I recently found out that a power outage screwed up one of my timers, the one for the heat lamp of my bearded dragon enclosure. (they have battery back ups, but the battery in this one apparently died). As a result, it was staying on throughout the night. I noticed when I happened to come into work one morning when it was still dark outside. The dragon was very obviously sleeping soundly when I entered that morning. Furthermore, he had not shown any signs of disturbance during the day in either appetite or activity as a result.

The differences in his example and yours is that his was a week-long study, whereas yours was an isolated "one-time" incident with one animal. I'm not necessarily saying that if you duplicated what he did you would get equal results, but until you did, its not fair to say that his observations are "wrong." I think a longer study with multiple animals is in order before making any definite conclusions.

Strutter769
08-08-12, 12:34 PM
Really good stuff. I'll be switching two red bulbs with CHE's tonight!

Thanks Kyle!

jarich
08-08-12, 12:52 PM
My simple observation is that while yes, infrared is only part of light spectrum of which some of these species can see, in terms of circadian rhythm and nocturnal behavior...moonlight in nature is not infrared, or blue, or deep purple.

Actually moonlight is all of those things. It is reflected sunlight, so still has all the spectrum, UV, etc that sunlight has, merely less of it.

StudentoReptile
08-08-12, 01:08 PM
Actually moonlight is all of those things. It is reflected sunlight, so still has all the spectrum, UV, etc that sunlight has, merely less of it.

Yes I am aware of that. But a purely "red" infrared light bulb is not.

When you are using an infrared bulb, or a blue bulb, or a purple bulb as a nighttime heat source, it is not replicating natural moonlight, and only emitting a fraction of the light spectrum, giving an unbalanced visible light for nocturnal activities.
-------
Another thing...I've been told by several field herpers that the "fuller" the moon is, the less likely any herps are active. I don't know if that's entirely true or not; I haven't verified it myself. If anyone else can comment on that, by all means.

If that is mostly true, then it does give credence to the notion that complete darkness is preferred over any moonlight during nighttime hours.