PDA

View Full Version : Very Worried : (

bobz
01-17-03, 05:16 PM
I am very worried. I have had my gecko for over a week and he still hasnt eaten, i am really starting to get worried. He is starting to get skinny. He is a golden gecko and lately he has had alot of energy but hasnt been eating. Could it be the size of his home? it is a 100+ gallon tank. DO u think it would be a good idea to get him a female to maybe help him out? I dont know i am just really worried about him, what should I do? Any ideas? Also he is starting to change to a different color is this becasue of malnutrtion? he is going more to a brown or black type colour.

josefg
01-17-03, 05:22 PM
The tank may be a little to big for him, so make sure that you provide plenty of places for him to hide. Also be sure to monitor the temperature and the humidity.

If both the temp and the humidity is right, then the only thing that your guy may be suffering from is stress due to it changing it's surroundings.

As for the coloring... sorry I can't help you as I don't know much about lizards.

Hope that helped!

bobz
01-17-03, 05:25 PM
Thankyou! Yah my temp and humidity is perfect all the time. I have been gonig shopping for him everyday for new plants and placews for him to hide and it seems everytime i put in a new change he loves it so he is definenetly more active but still wont eat and is getting skinny :(

DragnDrop
01-17-03, 07:36 PM
He might still need more time to settle in before feeling up to eating. However, he might also have internal parasites, so getting a fecal check would be advisable. Are the insects you're offering him small enough? Can he find them in such a big tank? Maybe a feeding bowl would be better for a while. Don't get him a mate, if he's still stressed out right now, adding another one will not help, but stess him even more.

V.aw
01-17-03, 10:29 PM
Golden geckos love humidity..check your humidity.. I dont think the parasites are a factor here.. I worked with them at a store, and they would come in WC in big numbers, and from what i saw they were EXTREMELY hardy..

I would put the little guy in a 20 gallon tank until he has time to accumulate. Then once hes ready put the 20 gallon tank into the 100 with no lid on it.. Let him explore on his own. Remember you're dealing with a small reptile here, and thats a big tank.. Maybe hes unsure of his surroundings and is overwhelmed. Food is harder to catch in larger areas too!!

Katatonic
01-18-03, 01:19 AM
I'm with the others on this topic. The tank is rather an "over-kill" and in such a large enclosure, openness could play a huge factor in stress levels causing him not to eat.
Parasite loads are predominant in this species of gecko, especially if wild caught, and he should be purged as soon as possible.
In such a vast expanse of tank, it'd be damn near impossible for the little guy to snag sufficient crickets... Try the suggestions of down-grading tank size and providing additional coverage... As always, double check your temps and humidity.
Good luck Buddy.
LATER

nouserpif
01-18-03, 12:36 PM
try giving him some of the geckos favourite foods.... WAXWORMS, SILKWORMS, AND MEALWORMS! From what I have seen/heard, these are like crack for geckos! Also, my bearded was like that for a week or two (although it was 2 months after I got him that he started), so I brought him into my room (bit warmer than the garage :) ), and gave him a few roaches, and he gobbled them down! Hese back to his normal self, now... As for colours, that usually shows the wrong temps... Make sure the temp is 75-80 F, with a basking spot with 85-95, and night temps 70-75. This may be hard to acheive with such a big tank, and a 20-30 gallon might even be a better choice... If these are the exact temperatures, try raising or lowering them a tad.... ever lizard is unique :)
If he continues to show behaviour like this, take him to the vet a week or so... Humitity should be 75+%
Dan Conner