PDA

View Full Version : Giant Hogs

StudentoReptile
05-23-12, 12:10 PM
This is a pair of Madagascar Giant Hognose snakes (Leioheterodon madagascariensis) I had over a decade ago. Absolutely awesome snakes. They "accidentally" bred for me once; the female laid around 4-5 eggs, but I was not prepared for it at all, and they had pretty much dried up by the time I discovered them in the enclosure.

I had to give them up when I moved out of state to continue my college education. They are definitely a species I wouldn't mind working with again in the future.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MDC_Leviathan/Hognose/checkers2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/MDC_Leviathan/Hognose/checkers1.jpg

marvelfreak
05-23-12, 12:22 PM
Cool. How big were they?

buffcoat
05-23-12, 12:25 PM
Every show I go to there is a couple there trying to sell me one they have. I love the way they look. Their scales are like armor. They just don't have that Western Hoggie face. I love those puffy cheeks!

StudentoReptile
05-23-12, 12:28 PM
Cool. How big were they?

Both were over 4 ft.

brandonh
05-23-12, 03:41 PM
giants hognose snakes are wonderful snakes
i wish to one day own one :)

CDN_Blood
05-24-12, 04:10 AM
I know somebody who has 2 of these and I could smell them as soon as I walked in her door - extremely unpleasant. She moved them to her snake room because her house keeper wouldn't come back because of the stench, but putting them in a smaller room only compounded the problem. Do you find that to be a problem with them or was she just neglect in her husbandry? They never seemed dirty when I looked at them, but man-o-man did they wreak.

StudentoReptile
05-24-12, 06:02 AM
I know somebody who has 2 of these and I could smell them as soon as I walked in her door - extremely unpleasant. She moved them to her snake room because her house keeper wouldn't come back because of the stench, but putting them in a smaller room only compounded the problem. Do you find that to be a problem with them or was she just neglect in her husbandry? They never seemed dirty when I looked at them, but man-o-man did they wreak.

Must have been neglect. I never found them to be any messier than any other large colubrid (of course, I have never kept Drymarchon sp!). I have a friend who has some, and she has never claimed that they are particularly smelly...and she's pretty sensitive about that kinda stuff.

CDN_Blood
05-24-12, 06:07 AM
OK, thanks. That's good to know! She probably cleaned them right before I got there 'cause she'd knew I'd call her on dirty tanks and make her clean them while I was there, lol. I can be funny that way (and about 1000 other ways ) :D

kernel
05-25-12, 12:58 PM
This may sound strange, but Madagascar Giant Hognose just aren't that appealing to me. I'm in love with Westerns though!