PDA

View Full Version : Custom cages

Trollbie
04-08-12, 11:06 PM
My dad agreed to help me build a cage for Zeus, but my mom (who told me no snake is ever allowed in her house and wanted nothing to do with it when I got Penelope) is now insisting that we build 2 that are the same size and stack on top of each other.

What size should I make them if one is for a milksnake and the other for a BRB?

Also, it looks like the best opening is one where the glass part opens towards you, right?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

And sorry if there already is a thread like this, I know it annoys some members when there's multiples, but I have pretty bad ADHD and searching just gets too overwhelming for me...

BarelyBreathing
04-08-12, 11:09 PM
Have an opening that is like a sliding glass window.

There really isn't such a thing as an enclosure that is "too large" as long as it is well thought out. You can make it as large as you'd like as long as your main focus is on what's inside. Lots of clutter and places to hide will help your snake feel comfortable. Remember, your snakes want to be able to move around in the enclosure without being seen.

Trollbie
04-08-12, 11:11 PM
Have an opening that is like a sliding glass window.

There really isn't such a thing as an enclosure that is "too large" as long as it is well thought out. You can make it as large as you'd like as long as your main focus is on what's inside. Lots of clutter and places to hide will help your snake feel comfortable. Remember, your snakes want to be able to move around in the enclosure without being seen.

I guess I want big enough and then a little extra, but not too big so it's a hassle to move and takes up too much space. Ya know?

infernalis
04-09-12, 12:03 AM
2 foot tall, 3 feet wide, when stacked = 4 feet tall.

just build a double decker.

Trollbie
04-09-12, 12:18 AM
My dad is thinking 4x2x2 would be good. I think that's good too since I just read that BRBs need 4-6 sq ft as adults, and that would give him 8 sq ft. And it'd be perfect for Penelope too.

My dad was concerned about ventilation though. I sent him a picture of Kat's enclosure that she built (I hope that she doesn't mind) and she has those circle vent things. He doesn't think that's enough ventilation.

Lankyrob
04-09-12, 06:42 AM
If you have glass sliding doors there is a gap between them that allows air to flow freely, my 4x2x2 foot vivs only have two 3inch diameter vents in them and i have no issues at all.

Also with the BRB needing high humidity the less air flow the better :)

Trollbie
04-09-12, 12:31 PM
If you have glass sliding doors there is a gap between them that allows air to flow freely, my 4x2x2 foot vivs only have two 3inch diameter vents in them and i have no issues at all.

Also with the BRB needing high humidity the less air flow the better :)

I don't think we're gonna sliding doors. I think we're going to use piano hinges and have the front open outward like Gungirl did hers.

Is it better to use plexiglass? I'd rather use plexi than real glass

beardeds4life
04-10-12, 07:45 PM
plexi will scratch and will need replacing eventually because the heat and humidity imght make it hazy and you should definitely use sliding glass doors they will be much more secure

beardeds4life
04-10-12, 07:47 PM
I had a friens who puilt this giant show cage for all his animals. it had about 30 seperate cages. he used piano hinges and plexi. Every one of his snakes got out (most were corns milks bp etc). If you use plexi it HAS to be reinforced with metal

Trollbie
04-10-12, 07:49 PM
I had a friens who puilt this giant show cage for all his animals. it had about 30 seperate cages. he used piano hinges and plexi. Every one of his snakes got out (most were corns milks bp etc). If you use plexi it HAS to be reinforced with metal

Hmmm... I'm gonna have to ask Gungirl

DeesBalls
04-10-12, 07:50 PM
i just build about 8 cages... (2) 4x2x2 and (6) 3x18x12 i made mine out of melemine wood, and sliding glass doors, if i did it over again, i would for sure do what gun girl did...

i do feel that sliding doors are safer and less escapes, just my opinion...i had my BRB in a 4x2x2 and it was nice... hard to keep humidity up, and i just had (4) 3'' vents.... sliding doors, with no gap... had to add a humidity box and big dish for water.

good luck though, and make sure you post pics.

Trollbie
04-10-12, 07:54 PM
i just build about 8 cages... (2) 4x2x2 and (6) 3x18x12 i made mine out of melemine wood, and sliding glass doors, if i did it over again, i would for sure do what gun girl did...

i do feel that sliding doors are safer and less escapes, just my opinion...i had my BRB in a 4x2x2 and it was nice... hard to keep humidity up, and i just had (4) 3'' vents.... sliding doors, with no gap... had to add a humidity box and big dish for water.

good luck though, and make sure you post pics.

This won't happen for a while. My dad and I are just thinking ahead so we can keep an eye out for sales and such. But I'll for sure post pics after it's done :)

DeesBalls
04-10-12, 07:59 PM
ahh, gotcha!!

red ink
04-10-12, 08:49 PM

Or a tripple...

Some "stacks" I have built to give you ideas Trollbie.

Three stack (most recent)
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/48e53e18.jpg

Display stacks (I have two identical stacks of these)
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/Greyham/P1020463.jpg

Old double stack (no longer in use and waiting to get dismantled)
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/P1010683.jpg

Old cube stack (no longer with me, used to house my gex in the four cubes above and a spotted python at the bottom)
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/P1010696.jpg

All the stacks are one peice stacks by the way

Trollbie
04-10-12, 08:55 PM
If I get a triple, I'll have to get a new snake or lizard... I'm tying to not go crazy until I'm in a stable situation.

This forum is evil! haha

KORBIN5895
04-10-12, 09:00 PM
I prefer sliding doors myself.

BarelyBreathing
04-10-12, 09:07 PM
Those look amazing, Red.

Trollbie
04-10-12, 09:22 PM
Those are really nice btw!

red ink
04-10-12, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys

Gungirl
04-11-12, 05:21 AM

Great size advice.. I would go with this ^^

plexi will scratch and will need replacing eventually because the heat and humidity imght make it hazy and you should definitely use sliding glass doors they will be much more secure

I have never had an issue with the heat or humidity making it hazy and I also have no issues with scratches. Just don't clean the window with an abrasive cleaner. Plexi if used right is just as secure as glass and if it breaks it will crack not shatter.

You do NOT need to reinforce it with metal you just need to know how to build it. I have all mine with wood frame plexi glass doors that open with piano hinges and none of mine could get out no matter how hard they try.

Hmmm... I'm gonna have to ask Gungirl

Lol.. thanks for the confidence in my building skills. I did a lot of research prior to building my vivs. I wouldn't change anything about them. For your snakes go with the size Wayne suggested it will be more than large enough. As for vents you need to let your dad know that to much air flow can be more of an issue than not enough most times. Snakes don't require a ton of air and if you have to many vents you will not be able to maintain the heat and humidity you need to maintain. The piano hinge makes life very easy for me, I don't like sliding doors at all for the cleaning factor. If I want to open my entire viv up I don't have to deal with a sliding door being in my way. I just flip my door down. The sliding door vs hinged door is all just personal preference though.They both will work I just prefer the hinged door. If you need/want any other advice feel free to PM me again I am not checking the forum anymore.