PDA

View Full Version : Temperature concerns?

Maratila
03-27-12, 10:44 PM
My home is in the low or mid seventies during the day and then at night it is set at 68.

I am planning to get a corn snake soon, but I want it to be totally comfortable, so what can I do about the temperature? I keep reading so many different opinions that all have such different views on the topic that I decided to get forum member opinions.

Thanks!

infernalis
03-28-12, 12:20 AM
My 2 cents.. your house temps are fine.

Corn snakes are North American colubrids, they are used to it.

Gungirl
03-28-12, 05:01 AM
I keep my house set at 64-66 and my corn snake is almost never on his flexwatt. I keep his flexwatt at 75. I notice that the only time he is on his flexwatt at all is right after he eats and he only stays there for a short period of time. So I have to agree with Wayne that your house temps are fine but I would offer a small "hot" spot set to 75 or so. The only reason is to aid in digestion after it eats. You can get a simple Under tank heating pad to do this. Ultratherm Undertank Heater (UTH) - 6"x11" - Reptile Basics Inc (http://www.reptilebasics.com/ultratherm-undertank-heater-uth-6-x11)

Lankyrob
03-28-12, 06:02 AM
We keep a hot end temp of 86f for our cornsnakes, cool end stays around 70-75f

Maratila
03-28-12, 08:08 PM
Thanks everyone, so just to make sure I understand, I should get a heat lamp? Should I get a light?

Thanks again!

Maratila
03-28-12, 08:22 PM
Thanks, everyone; I can't wait to use this information!

Gungirl
03-29-12, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone, so just to make sure I understand, I should get a heat lamp? Should I get a light?

Thanks again!

I would go with an under the tank heat pad rather than a light. Either way use a thermostat and you will be ok.

Corns don't need any added light other than normal light that comes into your house.

reptile65
03-29-12, 08:56 AM
As long as you have a hot spot your snake will be fine. They are very good at regulating their own temperature when they are provided with a proper heat gradient. I keep my corns' under tank heaters set at about 85. 75 seems a bit low to me...

shaunyboy
03-29-12, 09:25 AM
My home is in the low or mid seventies during the day and then at night it is set at 68.

I am planning to get a corn snake soon, but I want it to be totally comfortable, so what can I do about the temperature? I keep reading so many different opinions that all have such different views on the topic that I decided to get forum member opinions.

Thanks!

when dealing with cooler temperatures,snakes are a lot hardier than most folk give them credit for

my Australian carpet pythons all have night time lows of high 60's to low 70's F

depending on which season it is

cheers shaun