PDA

View Full Version : Rabbits

Christina
01-12-03, 08:42 PM
How many here feed their larger species of snakes Rabbits?
Do you find them available enough for your needs?
Or do you not care and just feed many large Rats?
Out of curiosity, I may have somebody to provide Rabbits but I want to find out if it is a good idea for him to start up with breeding them so all input would be very helpfull!!!!!
Thankyou Very much from me Christina

Dom
01-13-03, 03:15 AM
I feed my rock rabbits and large sewer rats .. personally I get my rabbits for cheaper than the same weight of rats .. way cheaper .. s its worth it for me ..

I personally have no problem getting rabbits .. I almost get them givent o me. The pet shop I get them from alwasy wants to get rid of them cause no one buys them or needs large prey items so its convinient for me..

As too breeding - neer done it and never ever will also .. I think putting them down woudl be too hard .. there simply to big of a mamal..

I find rats don't stink if keep at optimal conditions but everytime I have seen ppl with pet rabbits the steanch discusted me .. and do they ever poop alot lol

well thats just me rambling on!

Alicewave
01-13-03, 08:19 AM
Rabbits definitely stink! My housemates last year kept two drawfs in their tiny bedroom and I could NOT go in there.

Matt_K
01-13-03, 06:09 PM
I think there are too many farmers right now that raise and breed rabbits for there to be a market for it. If you can find a side of the road farmer and name him a price, chances are he will supply you..

Rabbits do stink, but most people that breed them do it outdoors, so you dont really notice it.. Its the urine that smells worse then anything, and with Pet rabbits, it sits and settles in the substrate and causes a lot of foul odor which is why it is soo noticable..

norman
01-13-03, 07:44 PM
anyone know someone on vancouver island that breeds them?

JasonBrennan
01-13-03, 07:45 PM
I feed all of my snakes (except the balls) rabbits. Even the baby burms eat rabbits. I have several friends that are rabbit farmers, and I can get adult rabbits for less that the price of a mouse at the pet store.

I feed my small boids (babies) newborn rabbit kits, and just progessivly get bigger ones for them. Matter of fact, I just picked up 7 rabbits tonight, and it only cost me $5.60 (or $.80 each) for 4 week old rabbits.

I also find that the snakes grow better on the rabbits than they do on mice and rats.

Of course, I only get these amazing prices because these paticular rabbit farmers are friends of mine. I also get dressed rabbits from them for myself for dinner sometimes. Good eating (has to be better than rats, lol!!!)

andrea
01-14-03, 04:22 PM
i dunno bout the stench...

we have a pet rabbit that stays in my daughter's room. that one rabbit, and its a dwarf so more comparable to giant hamster than regular rabbit, in no way smells as bad as one large rat just in a few hours from the pet store to the snake's tummy! lol

Dom
01-14-03, 05:51 PM
Andrea.. If your pet rabbit is kept really clean sure it won't smell that bad but a rat just bought at a pet store and carried in a car to go home will defecate everywhere and stink reall bad because its is afraid and stresed..

I have kept rats (I once had 300 rats for a goood 9 month at any given time) and my sister had one large rabbit .. My 300 rats were cleaner and smell better then her one rabbit .. even after 2 days of not cleaning the rat cages .. it smelled better then her rabbit lol

Just my oppinion..

Dom

jason h
01-15-03, 08:06 AM
i feed rabbits to my burms and retics and for awhile had trouble getting them but I seached around and finally found a local retired couple that breed rabbits as a hobby/bussiness for pets and (human) food but when i told her what they where for and how often and how many i would be getting she had no problem with breeding them for me, and I get them very cheap i can pick up anything from small(which i never get) to hugh10-15 lbs holland lops for 5 bucks a piece which compaired to paying 8-9 bucks for a2-3lb rabbit from the pet store is an amazing deal,any how the moral of this story is if you look hard enough on those little country side roads and find little signs that say rabbits for sale CHECK IT OUT!!! it may be worth it in the end!!!