PDA

View Full Version : Snake Awareness Day

Strutter769
02-02-12, 01:49 PM
A couple weeks ago, I started working with Brian Barczyk, the owner of BHB Reptiles in MI and producer of SnakeBytesTV on YouTube, and his good friend Justin Meitz. Justin is the head guy at the Reno Herp Society in NV, and real advocate for the reptile community. Both seem like all-around fun guys.

Their idea is to bring about a National Snake Awareness Day (Date TBD), where members of the community, such as myself, visit schools, libraries, Scout meetings, youth groups, etc.... anyone NOT currently into "exotic" animals, to educate them, to show them a couple snakes, allow them to touch, to ask questions, take pictures, whatever. We're starting to work through Social Media to promote the cause right now.

For those of you with FB access, please find SnakeAwarenessDay, and there you should see the different states listed. If yours is not yet there, you can click on "Create Link" to add your home state, then link it from this main page.

When you find "Snake Awareness Day - Illinois," you'll recognize the lovely spokesmodel is none other than the amazing Andi (Or was it Cici?). Please "Like" my page, leave a comment if you wish, but most importantly, please share!

Feedback is always welcome. I'd like to improve upon my About and Mission Statement, so please, any ideas come to mind, let 'em out!

Thanks everyone.

lady_bug87
02-02-12, 01:53 PM
I saw that I think its a great idea I would be totally into doing it too I always wanted to use my animals for education but didn't know how to get involved

alessia55
02-02-12, 02:45 PM
I actually saw those FB groups a while ago and had already emailed my local schools and libraries to do an outreach/educational talk in April/May (when its warmer and before I graduate) :shocked:

Norm66
02-02-12, 02:50 PM
We're planning to do a few presentations for snake awareness day here. My wife and I at going to take vacation days and go with our friend Shannon to help her. She does it already but we're going to use some of Becky's contacts in the schools and try to do 3 or 4.

I'll hit your page. :)

Strutter769
02-02-12, 03:06 PM
Awesome. Lady_bug - Reach out to SnakeAwarenessDay on FB and I'm confident you will be pointed in the right direction.

Alessia - You rock! (As always). Keep us posted.

Norm - Sounds like we have a LOT of support there! Thanks for your help!

I've been offered by a friend to bring some of my animals to her son's birthday party! I'm really excited to reach out to up to 30-49 kids! I think all about 7-8 years old I think. Perfect!

Gungirl
02-02-12, 03:10 PM
I am meeting with most of my sons school in a few weeks. I will be bringing in my BP, RTB and my corn snake.This will be for grades K-2 about 250 kids. I am working with a fellow parent who works with a rescue group. Should be fun.. I will try and get pics and a video to share.

SSSSnakes
02-02-12, 03:24 PM
We already do educational snake programs all years long. Check our website out.

Rogue628
02-02-12, 03:32 PM
I want to add my state but I guess I'm too tired to figure out where the 'create link' is? I'm seeing all the states listed, but I'm not seeing a main page. Can you help me out please? I could be looking in the wrong place. I typed in Snake Awareness Day and found a list of pages for the states, but not a main page....

Strutter769
02-02-12, 03:46 PM
I think it can only be dome through a PC. The view is different than on.your phone. Then, in the left side of the milk to add a page.

Strutter769
02-02-12, 03:46 PM
I think it can only be dome through a PC. The view is different than on.your phone. Then, in the left side of the screen to add a page.

Lankyrob
02-03-12, 10:25 AM
We already do educational snake programs all years long. Check our website out.

Me too, couple of times a year at a local nursery and my daughters school

Nismo89
02-03-12, 10:37 AM
I too am attempting to work with local schools and the library. Also since I still have some contacts at two local tv stations I'm trying to set up a shoot where they come to my place so everyone can see how they are kept and stuff as well.

millertime89
02-03-12, 03:02 PM
Can you add Nebraska for me? I can't figure it out.

Rogue628
02-03-12, 04:27 PM
I tried on my desktop and still don't see the create link button. :(

beardeds4life
02-07-12, 09:26 AM
I too am attempting to work with local schools and the library. Also since I still have some contacts at two local tv stations I'm trying to set up a shoot where they come to my place so everyone can see how they are kept and stuff as well.

that would pe perfect!