PDA

View Full Version : frozen vs live

albinoTy
01-31-12, 03:41 PM
Ok so I'm debating on frozen or live feeds Im sure this probably already on here some where but can't find. What is the pros and cons???

lady_bug87
01-31-12, 03:48 PM
well live food can attack the snake and can cause a lot of damage
live feeds need to be supervised at all times
if the snake doesn't eat it you have to house the live rodent

there are more I'm sure ultimately its your choice whatever is more convenient remember you can always freshly kill the prey item

exwizard
01-31-12, 03:51 PM
The majority opinion on this site is to feed f/t and I agree, it is safer. That being said, we feed live mainly for convenience reasons since we breed our own rodents. Its just much easier to dip into our own stock as opposed to getting it from the freezer, into a bag, put it under running hot water and only THEN does it get to the snakes. All of our snakes prefer live anyway. They would just turn their noses up at something dead. Ive never had an incident and of course I always watch with tongs in hand to make sure nothing happens either.

Kiljosh
01-31-12, 03:56 PM
The majority opinion on this site is to feed f/t and I agree, it is safer. That being said, we feed live mainly for convenience reasons since we breed our own rodents. Its just much easier to dip into our own stock as opposed to getting it from the freezer, into a bag, put it under running hot water and only THEN does it get to the snakes. All of our snakes prefer live anyway. They would just turn their noses up at something dead. Ive never had an incident and of course I always watch with tongs in hand to make sure nothing happens either.

This is really the only reason I could ever see for feeding Live is convenience. And I guess if you have a thing for mice and think, "Millions of mice available in F/T form, so why kill another mouse that could potentially make some young kid an awesome first pet to feed my snake?"

Personally I just feed F/T because that's what mine ate for me when I first fed him.

shaunyboy
01-31-12, 03:57 PM
imo.there are NO benifits from live feeding over frozen thawed

here you go some old threads from here mate

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-discussion/74204-f-t-live.html?highlight=live+versus+frozen

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-discussion/88606-live-vs-f-t-question.html?highlight=benefits+feeding+live

cheers shaun

MoreliAddict
01-31-12, 03:57 PM
f/t is more convenient as you don't have to breed rats or go pick them up at a pet store. f/t is also safer for the snake. as far as going on/off feed, in my experience live is riskier as i've seen snakes strike, miss the rat, and hit thier nose hard enough to make them reluctant to take another strike.

however, in my opinion, live isn't as risky as people will make it out to be on the forums, but that's just me. also, what would you do with the live rat if your snake won't eat it?

Jay
01-31-12, 04:01 PM
The only reason people feed f/t is to reduce the risk of the said prey item hurting your snake. If you had to feed live I'm sure a quick 3 seconds to knock it out won't consume to much time.

lady_bug87
01-31-12, 04:01 PM
I think live can be done safely the keeper just has to be supervising and ready to intervene I know keepers that stun the prey before they feeder I simply prefer f/t because it's what works for my collection

like I said its ultimately the keeper's choice but its always good to know the risks even if it is a small or controllable risk

shaunyboy
01-31-12, 04:05 PM
I think live can be done safely the keeper just has to be supervising and ready to intervene I know keepers that stun the prey before they feeder I simply prefer f/t because it's what works for my collection

like I said its ultimately the keeper's choice but its always good to know the risks even if it is a small or controllable risk

imo NO keeper would be FAST enough to intervene.should a rat decide to bite,if a snake has a grip of it on its body instead of its head

or a rat side swipes the snake during its strike

all the supervising in the world,won't be quick enough to stop a rat bite imo

cheers shaun

lady_bug87
01-31-12, 04:09 PM
^^^ preaching to the converted I have never nor will I ever feed live

jarich
01-31-12, 04:16 PM
Ive fed live in the past, often actually, without incident. Presently though none of my snakes eat live; just got the GTP over to fresh killed recently. Youre right Shaun, no one is fast enough to stop the problem from occurring, even if you are right there. Its not so much that the snake would be killed with you standing there watching, the worry is that an eye catches a claw or bite from the rat/mouse. All it takes is a heartbeat and that eye is gone forever. Hence for me its not worth the risk.

alessia55
01-31-12, 04:24 PM
My baby ball python Pika I'm feeding f/t from the start for all of the above mentioned reasons. Not to mention... it is soooo much more convenient to reach into my freezer and have them there, rather than going out to find live rats, etc. Plus I can leave the rat with him overnight if I need to. I wouldn't be able to do that with a live rat.

Now, my 2yr old, Kaybe (ball python) I used to feed live. When I got him, I didn't think much about the whole live vs f/t debate, so I went with live. That meant going out and buying a live mouse EVERY week and HOPING he'd eat it. Also, they cost $4-6 each. As he grew up, since mice only get to a certain size, I had to start feeding him 2 mice each feeding...then three. It was a hassle. Also, I had to supervise every feeding. Sometimes I'd have to hold the little paws of the mice while he coiled them because they'd try to scratch him otherwise...and let me tell you, it's kind of saddening to have to hold the paws and feel the heartbeat stop. He's a very picky eater, so it's been a slow process, but I've been working on switching him over to f/t rats. I wish I'd known better from the start to get him on f/t rats.

Money-wise.....
For a bag of 20 mixed-sized FROZEN rats I paid about $15-20 if I remember correctly. That's 20 meals for about $20.

For 20 meals for Kaybe, eating 3 live mice per feeding... I end up paying:
1 mouse = ~$5
3 mice per feeding = $15 per feeding
20 feedings = ~$300

So in my case, it's ridiculously cheaper to go the f/t route.

Long story made short, if I were you, I'd do the switch. For the safety of your snake, the sake of your wallet/budget, and the convenience factor.

DragonsEye
01-31-12, 04:40 PM
The only reason people feed f/t is to reduce the risk of the said prey item hurting your snake. If you had to feed live I'm sure a quick 3 seconds to knock it out won't consume to much time.

Have to disagree with ya, there. Truthfully the convenience, as others have mentioned, of storage with f/t is great. I don't have the space to allocate to raising my own, and not having to deal with feeding and cleaning up after a rodent colony is something I appreciate.

KORBIN5895
01-31-12, 04:43 PM
Frozen feeders are usually much cheaper than live feeders. For 99% of snake owners frozen is way more convenient. Exwizard is definitely an exception to the rule because his business is breeding rodents. For the average snake owner raising your own feeders would be a hassle. Trust me because I raise mice to sell to the pet store. If you feed frozen you can bring in a large quantity and store them in your freezer. If you feed live you have to hope your supplier has them in stock and that they are the proper size.

Kiljosh
01-31-12, 05:08 PM
I am saying it could be more convenient to have live over F/T because some people who own snakes, might live with those who don't want a frozen rat in with their food. As silly as it sounds my mother freaked out on me about that.

You can't goto the store and buy one frozen mouse, you can however buy one live mouse and if it's not eaten you don't have to worry about throwing money away. Just house it for another week.

Snakefood
01-31-12, 05:14 PM
I breed my own rodents and still kill them before feeding

Xanafein
01-31-12, 05:17 PM
I Feed Fresh Killed and Frozen thawed, I have a friend who has a few rat and mouse colonies, so i often get freebie feeders, one quick snap and the risk is gone, and the snake still gets a twitchy meal

mykee
01-31-12, 05:20 PM
Even though you think it's your choice,you'll have to end up feeding whatever they'll eat. Most of mine will eat f/t but the odd one eats live. f/t is the preferred method however.

Snakefood
01-31-12, 05:28 PM
ya I have a customer with 2 snakes who won't eat anything but live, and he's tried everything to get them onto F/T. I will sell some live, but I charge more for live to try to get them to do the F/T. and of course, I don't always have the right size for live feed customers, they get sent away empty handed alot, whereas the F/T customers have lots to choose from!!

KORBIN5895
01-31-12, 05:47 PM
I am saying it could be more convenient to have live over F/T because some people who own snakes, might live with those who don't want a frozen rat in with their food. As silly as it sounds my mother freaked out on me about that.

You can't goto the store and buy one frozen mouse, you can however buy one live mouse and if it's not eaten you don't have to worry about throwing money away. Just house it for another week.

I would think that if someone is going to freak about a rat in the freezer they will probably freak about a rat anywhere in the house. Also can I get a show of hands from those that have had rodents get loose in their home???? THAT happens quite often I find. I am not sure about the rest of you but two out of three local pet stores sell frozen feeders individually. The other one doesn't sell any feeders at all.

albinoTy
01-31-12, 05:54 PM
Wish me luck on the switch ladies and gents.

alessia55
01-31-12, 05:54 PM
Also, I find it amusing when people say that it's awful to have frozen rats in their freezer, but it's OK to have frozen cow thigh, pig ribs, and baby sheep parts in their freezer. Just put the frozen rats in a black bag if it's the sight that bothers you. But I'm more bothered by seeing large chunks of animal flesh in clear zippers in people's freezers... so :p

alessia55
01-31-12, 05:55 PM
Wish me luck on the switch ladies and gents.

Good luck!! :D

Also, PLEASE post photos of your albino!! still haven't seen it!! pleeeease? :o

youngster
01-31-12, 05:56 PM
Also, I find it amusing when people say that it's awful to have frozen rats in their freezer, but it's OK to have frozen cow thigh, pig ribs, and baby sheep parts in their freezer. Just put the frozen rats in a black bag if it's the sight that bothers you. But I'm more bothered by seeing large chunks of animal flesh in clear zippers in people's freezers... so :p

That what I say!!!
"Think of it as a nice chicken or turkey" :)

albinoTy
01-31-12, 05:58 PM
U guys are awesome it like instant feed back on questions here greatly appreciated.

exwizard
01-31-12, 05:58 PM
I knew this was the majotity opionion and there nothing wrong with that. If you dont breed rodents, I can see where f/t would be more convenient although we have sold lab cages to some of our customers who had a need for temporary housing of uneaten feeders so that issue is taken care of as well. I also understand the risk of feeding live but all things considered its much better for us to do it this way. AlbinoTy, I hope that these responses to your question was helpful in facilitating a decision for you on what you would do. In the end, all that really matters for YOUR snakes is what YOU would do.

Jay
01-31-12, 10:48 PM
Have to disagree with ya, there. Truthfully the convenience, as others have mentioned, of storage with f/t is great. I don't have the space to allocate to raising my own, and not having to deal with feeding and cleaning up after a rodent colony is something I appreciate.

That differs from every person.

It may be convenient for you to stock your freezer full of Frozen Rats, where as others may view it as an inconvenience.

I will have to agree with you I find it very convenient to reach in my freezer pull out a bag of Rats and let them thaw.

lady_bug87
02-01-12, 09:27 AM
^^^ exactly and no colony smell besides I will eventually only need large and xl rats and xxl rats thats a lot of growing to do before I actually use them

DragonsEye
02-01-12, 09:40 AM

That differs from every person.

Agreed, Jay. That's why I was disagreeing with your use of "only" in your post. ;)

Snakefood
02-01-12, 11:53 AM

I keep mine in freezer bags, which are all stored in a big margarine tub. That way when mamma comes over for a visit, she doesdn;t even see the frozen rodents (of course that is where I store MY SNAKES food). the rest (for the customers) is in a deep freeze in the rodent shed.

As for stores selling indivdual frozen rodents, some do (especially the larger sizes) and also you could try to find a private rodent breeder on kijiji or craigslist. I will sell as little as 1 pinkie, up to whatever you want. I have one customer that buys 2 F/T rats/week, and I have another who takes 10 juvi rabbits at a time.

KORBIN5895
02-01-12, 11:58 AM
I had a customer that was just buying one frozen mouse every week. Hey its her gas not mine!

Snakefood
02-01-12, 12:17 PM
I had a customer that was just buying one frozen mouse every week. Hey its her gas not mine!

Yup, that's my take on it!! My customer who comes out once/week for 2 rats (he has 2 balls) does so because his wife does not want rodents in her freezer. So he comes each week and goes home and feeds right away!!

Snakefood
02-01-12, 12:23 PM
oh, I almost forgot. You can buy a plug in cooler to store your frozen food in. The one my mom got has a "freeze" setting on it. So it can be a cooler, a freezer and a thermos (it has a keep warm setting on it too!!)

KORBIN5895
02-01-12, 12:38 PM
I used a bar fridge for the longest time. The freezer work just fine. Aaannndd they are always giving them away on kijiji.

exwizard
02-01-12, 05:27 PM
ya I have a customer with 2 snakes who won't eat anything but live, and he's tried everything to get them onto F/T. I will sell some live, but I charge more for live to try to get them to do the F/T. and of course, I don't always have the right size for live feed customers, they get sent away empty handed alot, whereas the F/T customers have lots to choose from!!

Our main thrust is live. We will freeze to order though for those who prefer f/t. Our prices are the same either way.