PDA

View Full Version : Oh Lady Bug Lady Bug, I need you! (Monsoon/Humidifier questions)

ZARADOZIA
01-05-12, 04:15 AM
mine coils on the hose of the Monsoon which is also thinner than s/he is

I am looking into getting one of these myself and I have read many mixed reviews about them and since you have one, tell me the good and bad please?

This winter I have found that it is much harder to keep Sasha's viv at the right humidity level (It has been a very dry winter!). And I do not like the fluxuating humidity because it isn't good for her. (And makes me feel like a bad mommy)

So I have been reading up on the different kinds and I have narrowed my search to either the Exo Terra Monsoon RS400 Rainfall System or Zoo Med Laboratories HM-10 Habba Mist. I am also debating on building on myself since I already have 2 water pumps but I am not sure.

I would like experienced advice (the good and bad experiences) please and thoughts on the matter from everyone that has used any of these methods.
Thanks!!

lady_bug87
01-05-12, 12:45 PM
hey haha I just saw that

My Monsoon is great I use distilled water and have had no problems with clogging. Its easy to set up and has 2 different options I can turn it on and off when I want or I can cycle it through very easily

If you only have one or 2 vivs a Monsoon is great BUT if you are planning on Adding the Mist King is a lot better since I think you can have up to 6 or 8 vivs on it

lady_bug87
01-05-12, 12:49 PM
the great thing is that the monsoon is on a timer and you can change the duration of the spray for example if Sasha is getting too much humidity you can decrease the amount that sprays and then lengthen the amount of time between sprays the nozzels can be adjusted every which way so its easy to position also I don't re-fill the tank very often maybe once a month or so

SpOoKy
01-05-12, 04:27 PM
I don't have any personal experience with it but from what I have read in the past on other forums the Monsoon is not highly recommended. I will try to find the forum I read this on and let you know why. Like I said though I do not have personal experience I am just passing on what I have read.

lady_bug87
01-05-12, 05:01 PM
^^ I've heard it too, but mine has been a godsend I have had it hooked up since July and my GTP has always had perfect sheds, it always goes off on time without fail and it is by far the best thing I ever did for my snake

The problems come when you have hard water that gum up the valves I use distilled and have had no problems with Calcium or build-up

SpOoKy
01-05-12, 06:17 PM
The problems come when you have hard water that gum up the valves I use distilled and have had no problems with Calcium or build-up

The person i know was using distilled also. like i said, i don't know first hand but this is just a conversation i recall.

Strutter769
01-06-12, 03:36 PM
I too spent some time trying to choose what device to use for humidity control. The guy I spoke with (at an accessory stand at swap meet) asked what I was usunv it for, and he recommended a fogger over a misting system. I can almost remember word-forword "Aaron sprinkler gives you a damp cage, a fogger gives you a humid cage. I went with the fogger (actually the cheaper option) as recommended. I have since upgraded to a "therapeutic" vaporizer you would use if you had a bad cold, etc. The enclosure where the girls are was too big for the Reptifogger, but I'm happy with the vaporizer and the snakes seem to he as well. You've seen the perfect shed as evidence.

BarelyBreathing
01-06-12, 04:03 PM
Go with a Mist King. I've heard that you will need to replace your Monsoon about four times before you have to repair a Mist King once. I have a Monsoon, and it's tempermental.

lady_bug87
01-07-12, 12:07 PM
though mine is reliable and ive never had to repair it i would also probably go with a mist king since its more versatile. i tried a fogger for my gtp but it didnt condensate enough for her to drink off her coils since bps drink standing water zara could probably get away with a small fogger