PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Food

AlexisDarling
01-10-03, 07:17 PM
I have a boa that has never been a picky eater. Her previous owner fed her live only. I feed her frozen. She has never turned anything down not even a raw piece of chicken, which I will never give her again. In the past month and a half she has had quite an appetite. I was told by someone on this forum that she is at a maturity level where she will bulk up and eat more.
I fed her a frozen rat, thawed of course a month ago. Two weeks later she refused. Two days later she refused. During these times she seemed hungry to me. A week and a half later she still refused. So either she is not hungry or there it's something else. Hmm?
Is it okay to refreeze a frozen rat after it has been thawed? Do snakes sometimes refuse food because they sense something is wrong with it? Your opinions please.

hip
01-11-03, 09:12 AM
do not re freeze previously frozen too much bacteria growth
i always throw away refused meals just to be on the side of safety.She could be telling you she is not feeling good or the temps are not right or many things.It is hard to provide an opinion with so little info on your husbandry practises.If you keep notes this might also help (when did you feed the raw chicken?)

Peace

Hip

Lisa
01-11-03, 03:41 PM
It's also normal for some snakes to go off food at this time of year. how old is your boa? What temps are you keeping her at? How many hides does she have?

AlexisDarling
01-13-03, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. It's been over 6 months since I tried the raw chicken and it was just once. She's 3 years old. Her cage is very open but the humidity seems fine. The temperature in the cage varies from 78 degrees to 82 degrees. As for a hide a box, she has been without one for a month and a half. We are in the process of building one, possibly two levels.

herm
01-14-03, 07:26 AM
What kind of boa do you have?

AlexisDarling
01-16-03, 03:22 PM
She's a columbian boa. I was told she's a red tail but she may just be a common boa.
She seems to me to be fine now. She's been hibernating for the last week. I made a quick fix hide a box for her to use until her permanent is ready.