PDA

View Full Version : What brought you here..

infernalis
09-20-11, 06:25 PM
In the last year we have seen amazing growth, seems every day we have new members.

So what persuaded you to join the forum?

Feel free to discuss and elaborate, Fill out the poll if you like.

You may pick more than one when voting, click all replies that apply.

CK SandBoas
09-20-11, 06:36 PM
I had found this forum during a search, and usually, before i join any forum, being for reptiles, or one of my other interests, tattoos and body piercings, i tend to be a lurker for quite a while, just soaking up the knowledge and trying to get up the courage to actually interact, since i'm quite shy, personality wise.

I really love the atmosphere here, very laid back and extremely friendly, and i am very glad i joined:). I also enjoy hearing about other people's experiences with their various reptiles, be it snakes, geckos, etc. And i'm always eager to learn, because i know there is so many things i might not know.

stephanbakir
09-20-11, 06:37 PM
Saw Waynes amazing thamnophis collection. Found during a search and loved the quality of the members.

Snakefood
09-20-11, 06:40 PM
I was searching out food sizes for various snakes as I provide some of the larger prey items for snakes in my area (rabbits, chickens, ect..) And I found the `food for thought`part, which was very informative.

After many discussions with my customers and having such good subjects to participate in or just read through, I started to fall in love with the snakes themselves. Hubby bought me my first 3 snakes this summer.

I am a member of some other forums, but this is the one I participate in the most. The others I go to because I am participating ina particular thread, or simply put..... to amuse myself with all thier bickering back and forth!!

But I come here to learn, help where I can and to discuss snakes with a bunch of good people.

youngster
09-20-11, 06:58 PM
I was searching something about corn snakes, looked through a thread for like 3 pages before I realized it was a forum :P Didn't do any lurking I just felt compelled to join. :D

Kayla90
09-20-11, 07:39 PM
I was researching Reptiles, and stumbled upon this site. It was the first one with actual helpful answers, and the people seemed to be quite helpful so I decided it would be a good community to be apart of..

DeesBalls
09-20-11, 07:56 PM
Well, 4 yrs ago when i joined... (i think 4 yrs ago) i just got my KSB and was a lurker for a bit... decided to join after a while after seeing how helpful Wayne (Infernalis) was and still is today, so, an easier answer... the helpful people.... (i.e. LankyRob, Mykee, Infernalis, and many, many more!!!)

lady_bug87
09-20-11, 08:16 PM
I was searching info for my lizards a looong time ago so Ive been lurking for a while (like a year) I was really really new at reptiles and wasn't sure I could give any useful information then when I started reading threads and found I could answer some questions or at least knew enough to comment with some intelligence I decided to join besides the members seemed really nice and you all are!!

infernalis
09-20-11, 08:24 PM
I was searching info for my lizards a looong time ago so Ive been lurking for a while (like a year) I was really really new at reptiles and wasn't sure I could give any useful information then when I started reading threads and found I could answer some questions or at least knew enough to comment with some intelligence I decided to join besides the members seemed really nice and you all are!!

Thing is, no one needs to have any answers, join in and ask questions, make small talk, just visit....:)

lady_bug87
09-20-11, 08:26 PM
Thing is, no one needs to have any answers, join in and ask questions, make small talk, just visit....:)

lol thats true I am learning that... I just like being useful I guess lol and I am having a wonderful time getting to know everyone

shaunyboy
09-20-11, 08:49 PM
i don't know what to vote wayne as.....

i joined because i liked the atmosphere and knowledge available on here in equal measures

sorry for being finicky but i honestly cannot decide ?

cheers shaun

infernalis
09-20-11, 11:37 PM

i joined because i liked the atmosphere and knowledge available on here in equal measures

cheers shaun

This poll allowes more than one answer.

TeaNinja
09-20-11, 11:38 PM
i'm pretty sure i just happened to stumble upon the forum.

SnakeyJay
09-20-11, 11:52 PM
Came across thr forum while searching for brb husbandry info. The atmosphere and quality of convosation here is amazing. :D

presspirate
09-21-11, 02:48 AM
I came accross the forums in a search and lurked for a couple months before I realized there was a minimum of attack mongers here and I joined. I've joined a few other forums since, but this is the only one I keep coming back to.

ladyjustice33
09-21-11, 07:49 AM
I looked at various forums for information and stumbled across this one. I also liked the idea of interacting with like minded people. I like to talk about my reptiles and hear things from others in the same hobby. Most of my friends and co-workers could care less about my hobby and frankly don't understand how I "allow" snakes in my home. Nice to talk about snakes and other reptiles without having to hear "ewwww" or "they give me the creeps", etc. There is also a wealth of information on this site and I learn something new just about everytime I get on here, lol !

youngster
09-21-11, 07:57 AM
I looked at various forums for information and stumbled across this one. I also liked the idea of interacting with like minded people. I like to talk about my reptiles and hear things from others in the same hobby. Most of my friends and co-workers could care less about my hobby and frankly don't understand how I "allow" snakes in my home. Nice to talk about snakes and other reptiles without having to hear "ewwww" or "they give me the creeps", etc. There is also a wealth of information on this site and I learn something new just about everytime I get on here, lol !

So, so very true. I hate it when people are completely ignorant saying "Ewww snakes are slimy!" or "They'll kill you first chance they get!" (both true stories) My response to that is "Try telling that to my 14 inch baby corn snake :D He doesn't even know he can bite!"

ladyjustice33
09-21-11, 01:25 PM
So, so very true. I hate it when people are completely ignorant saying "Ewww snakes are slimy!" or "They'll kill you first chance they get!" (both true stories) My response to that is "Try telling that to my 14 inch baby corn snake :D He doesn't even know he can bite!"

I've heard both myself, lol.....especially the slimy comment!

jtfife
09-21-11, 01:44 PM
I joined not to long ago. I enjoy reading up on information about snakes and reptiles in general. I was searching for more information on proper husbandry for carpet pythons and found a lot of conflicting information out on the Internet. I came across this forum and read a ton on here. I was sold by the content and atmosphere on this forum. I figured I should learn from others experience instead of trying to sort through what is valid or not on the web.

bladeblaster
09-21-11, 02:31 PM
I was searching for info on Greater Green snakes, the forum came up. I had a look around, liked it and joined :yes:

Lankyrob
09-21-11, 03:27 PM
I came for the reptiles and stayed for the people! :)

NennaMeerkat
09-21-11, 03:53 PM
I just wanted to say...

I joined when I found via a search AND needed to ask a specific question BUT stayed cause I liked BOTH the knowledge base AND the atmosphere :)

marvelfreak
09-21-11, 04:31 PM
I actually was on the Reptile Forum.com i had just join and was having issues navigating the site. It was slow as hell. When i was waiting for a page to load i notice Other Forums at the top of the page. So i clicked it and sSnakess.com was on there so i checked it out.

When i join Boots had just bought the site. It was kind of slow starting off, but one of the things i really like was I asked my questions and didn't get my a-s handed to me like on the another forum from Australia. Shaunyboy, Feebo, Wayne, Kimberly, and Percey39 all join around the same time as i did give or take a month or two. Mykee, Arron S., Citysnake, Markgonesnakee. were all vet on here who i found very helpful. Plus i like there straight forward approach with their advice. Shortly after great guys like Rob,Greg, and Freebody all join.

One of the other things i liked was we all start post that help us get to know each other better. Like Show Your Ink and What's Your Profession just to name a couple of many. This thread got as talking about other cool things not just reptiles. I like to think i have made some really cool friends from all over the world on here. I belong to some other sites, but sSnakeSs is my reptile home. I like to say i am proud to be a part of it all.

presspirate
09-21-11, 04:36 PM
:yes:Hey Chuck! We all feel the same. I am glad to have gotten to know you all.

marvelfreak
09-22-11, 04:40 PM
I just wanted to say...

I joined when I found via a search AND needed to ask a specific question BUT stayed cause I liked BOTH the knowledge base AND the atmosphere :)
I think this is why many join. Since Boots took over and made Wayne Mod this site has grown big time. I think it because we have a great core group which is always growing to. One of the things i really like is i am always learning new. :)

red ink
09-22-11, 05:40 PM
I actually was on the Reptile Forum.com i had just join and was having issues navigating the site. It was slow as hell. When i was waiting for a page to load i notice Other Forums at the top of the page. So i clicked it and sSnakess.com was on there so i checked it out.

When i join Boots had just bought the site. It was kind of slow starting off, but one of the things i really like was I asked my questions and didn't get my a-s handed to me like on the another forum from Australia. Shaunyboy, Feebo, Wayne, Kimberly, and Percey39 all join around the same time as i did give or take a month or two. Mykee, Arron S., Citysnake, Markgonesnakee. were all vet on here who i found very helpful. Plus i like there straight forward approach with their advice. Shortly after great guys like Rob,Greg, and Freebody all join.

One of the other things i liked was we all start post that help us get to know each other better. Like Show Your Ink and What's Your Profession just to name a couple of many. This thread got as talking about other cool things not just reptiles. I like to think i have made some really cool friends from all over the world on here. I belong to some other sites, but sSnakeSs is my reptile home. I like to say i am proud to be a part of it all.

Sorry bout your experience mate... I think I could take a wild guess at which forum and be spot on. Don't take it personally that place is just like that. If you can get through the crap, there are some golden nuggets of info and helpfull experienced peeps on there.

Now to why I'm here... stumbled upon it looking for places to chill and generally have a chat about Morelias.

Freebody
09-22-11, 06:08 PM
I was searching snake info, i had a question about bella, got chewed up on a different forum, like, What how didnt i know that.... lol so i found this site, seen alot of good info i knew to be true, got a good vibe between the memebers, and joined, and its one of the best decisions i have made in years. you said it right chuck, we do have friends all over the world now. I'll cheers to that :)

infernalis
09-22-11, 06:24 PM
I was searching for info on Greater Green snakes, the forum came up. I had a look around, liked it and joined :yes:

My cyclophiops Major threads drew people to a few forums.

Sadly, that species does so poorly in captivity that I have yet to meet anyone who had one longer than a year.

bladeblaster
09-23-11, 03:44 AM
My cyclophiops Major threads drew people to a few forums.

Sadly, that species does so poorly in captivity that I have yet to meet anyone who had one longer than a year.

I am still hoping to get a trio at some point mate, so I will be sure to keep you updated if I do :)

shaunyboy
09-23-11, 09:32 AM
This poll allowes more than one answer.

thanks mate

millertime89
09-23-11, 11:51 AM
Came across thr forum while searching for brb husbandry info. The atmosphere and quality of convosation here is amazing. :D

pretty much this.

ZARADOZIA
09-23-11, 10:08 PM
I joined because Sasha is my first BP and I have been looking for other people that are experienced in all the nuances of owning a BP. I have joined other forums but comparing them to what I have found here (knowledge wise) is like comparing 2+2 to College level Cal 2.

I have ran into many ODD nuances with Sasha and researched world wide to find the needed information for her. (Herp vets do not exist in my area..at all..and regular vets I have learned this week are not as knowledgeable as I would like. They almost killed my cat by misdiagnosing him.)

redsided
09-28-11, 03:29 PM
Cause i love snakes and learning about them. Forums are one of te best ways to do that.

Found this particular one by reccomenedation. Liking it so far.:)

ctdasme
09-30-11, 01:38 AM
Found it on a search engine, like the atmosphere and the knowledgible people and the pics. Pretty much just a lurker but love seeing and reading about all the snakes and lizards. Just wished this forum was on Tapatalk im hardly ever on a computer since i got my droid.

Nismo89
10-02-11, 11:10 PM
I was google searching about BRBs came across this site loved all the info and the atmosphere so I figured why not what harm could it do. I'm glad everyday I found this site. There is always something new to be learned on here.

minaa
10-19-11, 12:33 AM
I am finally able to keep a snake, and my boyfriend and I agreed that a ball python was the best first step. I was doing research on snakes in general and found this forum! I love finding good hobbyist forums online, and now that I have my first BP, I'll be referencing this place.

unknownclown
10-19-11, 08:07 AM
Wanting the best life for my animals I am always in search for new information no matter how much I know I can always learn more. Books are fine but just gives basics where as forums I can learn from everybodys day to day experiences in a wide range of situations. Some may not aply to my pets but you never know when they will aply and its best to be prepared.
This forum seems to have the most helpful, caring and knowledgable community. When I first got my snakes I put my feelers out posting on several forums this was the only one that impressed me by timely caring responses without treating me like an idiot for not knowing everything already before I joined.
Thanks everyone for making this such a great place to learn :)

Kcsearle
10-28-11, 09:23 PM
I found this forum and I am new to the snake world and I was looking for somewhere, where I could find some good info and other people to talk to about snakes. ;)

Andre Bester
11-23-11, 01:17 AM
Hi to all reptile enthusiasts/lovers
I am a medical doctor in Kolwezi, Katanga Province, DRC. The local knowledge about snakes is sparse but a few snakes seem to have survived despite the ongoing quest to rid the countryside of them through mainly uncontrolled bushfires. I would like to get more info on the species commonly found here as we'd like to start an educational programme. Although we have polyvalent antivennin from RSA, I would feel much better knowing which local species' envenomation it will be effective against.
Appreciated!
Andre

Devorah
11-24-11, 11:30 PM

cheers shaun
Why should it be one or the other? Why not one and the other..?

I would have chosen both "I liked both the knowledge and atmosphere" had it been on the list of the options.

infernalis
11-24-11, 11:40 PM
Thank you so much.

shaunyboy
11-25-11, 11:53 AM
Why should it be one or the other? Why not one and the other..?

I would have chosen both "I liked both the knowledge and atmosphere" had it been on the list of the options.

i did after wayne pointed out it was not a single vote poll ;)

cheers shaun

bigsnakegirl785
11-25-11, 12:40 PM
I was looking for a forum to get extra info the red-tailed boa I had wanted, and this was the only forum I wasn't too young to join. lol I got my red-tail, and learned bunches of tips that built on all the vids and caresheets I read. Not only that, I love the atmosphere. I've never seen arguments get more than a little bit nippy, which is a good thing. :)

dshin963
12-18-11, 02:27 AM
I just fell in love with Wayne ;-) nice new patio furniture :-D

EasternGirl
12-18-11, 02:33 AM
I am a member of the garter forum and I knew Wayne from there. He told me about this forum and I came on over...love it over here btw!

jaleely
12-18-11, 05:04 AM
Was looking for a place to talk regularly about my addiction *lol* and to learn. You guys are really awesomely informative. I wish there were MORE posts actually! I am on here just about every hour or more *lol*

alessia55
12-18-11, 10:04 AM
Was looking for a place to talk regularly about my addiction *lol* and to learn. You guys are really awesomely informative. I wish there were MORE posts actually! I am on here just about every hour or more *lol*

Ditto. I often check in via my phone when I'm on the go. I get hooked on stuff pretty easily :laugh: Sometimes there's like a 2hr gap during the day that no posts (or maybe just 1 or 2) are posted and I forget what I used to do to fill in the time before I had the forum :p LOL

mykee
12-18-11, 10:18 AM
Been here 9 years on and off. Back three owners ago. Was recommended the site from the very first owner. Haven't left.

Strutter769
01-04-12, 01:12 PM
Time for a new poll! :yes:

infernalis
01-04-12, 01:14 PM
Time for a new poll! :yes:

http://lowfuel.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/utility_pole.jpg

Strutter769
01-04-12, 01:19 PM
I said pol"L!":freakedout: lol

Reptile_Reptile
01-13-12, 05:41 PM
A while back i had a bunch of questions about my new herps and found this place liked it and i joined

BarelyBreathing
01-13-12, 05:54 PM
SpOoky did. :)

infernalis
01-13-12, 06:08 PM
Hmm I wonder who asked spooky to do that?

Could it be SATAN? (I know kinda lame without the echo effect)

http://www.reptard.info/FT/satan.jpg

BarelyBreathing
01-13-12, 06:14 PM
I didn't know you asked her. Well, thank you both.

infernalis
01-13-12, 06:25 PM
I would have, but as moderator, it would be in poor taste to recruit from other forums.

We call that "member poaching" and it's a great way to get banned from forums, owners talk to each other, and reputation is everything.

BarelyBreathing
01-13-12, 06:30 PM
I understand.

SpOoKy
01-13-12, 06:51 PM
I would have, but as moderator, it would be in poor taste to recruit from other forums.

We call that "member poaching" and it's a great way to get banned from forums, owners talk to each other, and reputation is everything.

I don't mind poaching, as long as it is people and not animals.

I was thinking of asking for a while but I don't really know forum etiquette. I didn't want you to be like "Aw gawd now she is going to bombard me with questions at another forum too!"

Could it be SATAN? (I know kinda lame without the echo effect)

It's okay Wayne, in my head I read it with a echo voice and it sounded intimidating :)

BarelyBreathing
01-13-12, 07:04 PM
I don't mind questions at all. :)

infernalis
01-13-12, 07:06 PM
It's okay Wayne, in my head I read it with a echo voice and it sounded intimidating

Have you ever seen the sketch?

lX8jo8wIIaU

SpOoKy
01-13-12, 07:37 PM
The picture wan't showing up on your first post so I didn't put them together. I just thought you meant it in an evil voice.

infernalis
01-13-12, 08:19 PM
I re-did it.

The place I linked the picture to blocked it, so I downloaded it and then parked it on my server.

I hate when sites block hot links.

Skumbo
02-11-12, 09:37 PM
I love good forums (gaw.. im on so many.) for my many hobbies, and so when getting into reptiles I searched and lurked on about 5 or 6 forums until I decided which one I liked the quality of the members the best (lucky you!).

I run a blog, So I tend to be ranty, but I try to keep my posts entertaining if not informative. You all seemed like a group that would enjoy that the most. xD

Thanks for having me!

alessia55
02-11-12, 09:53 PM
I love good forums (gaw.. im on so many.) for my many hobbies, and so when getting into reptiles I searched and lurked on about 5 or 6 forums until I decided which one I liked the quality of the members the best (lucky you!).

I run a blog, So I tend to be ranty, but I try to keep my posts entertaining if not informative. You all seemed like a group that would enjoy that the most. xD

Thanks for having me!

Glad you found us! :D

infernalis
02-11-12, 10:18 PM
Welcome to the club, quite a few of us can make some pretty long "blog like" posts, including me.

1928jb
02-15-12, 09:03 PM
I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I am looking for a Blue Tongue Skink and thought I might find an ad here. If anyone has babies or is looking for a home for one, look no further. The BTS must be a non-biter and one that likes to be handled. Looking for a pet so it can be either sex. Will give it a great home and lots of love and care.

wendhend
02-24-12, 01:14 AM
I had encountered this forum several times while searching for other snake related topics but just never got around to joining until recently, since I am usually so busy with my life and am an active member of several other more specific reptile-related forums. However, my snake collection has expanded over the past couple of years and no longer just consists of corn snakes and ball pythons, like it used to. I currently keep seven different species of snakes. I like that this forum deals with all kinds kinds of snakes. Knowing me, though, I will probably discover more beautiful snake species while browsing this forum and decide I "need" to have them too!

infernalis
02-24-12, 01:25 AM
I had encountered this forum several times while searching for other snake related topics but just never got around to joining until recently, since I am usually so busy with my life and am an active member of several other more specific reptile-related forums. However, my snake collection has expanded over the past couple of years and no longer just consists of corn snakes and ball pythons, like it used to. I currently keep seven different species of snakes. I like that this forum deals with all kinds kinds of snakes. Knowing me, though, I will probably discover more beautiful snake species while browsing this forum and decide I "need" to have them too!

I will warn you, Many have came here and fell in love with lizards too.:)

millertime89
02-24-12, 01:33 AM
I will warn you, Many have came here and fell in love with lizards too.:)

yeah, I was planning on just getting a frilled dragon, but these awesome people have me leaning more towards a monitor now. That was until I met an awesome red iguana today! Making choices sucks...

BarelyBreathing
02-24-12, 12:07 PM
I think you should get all of them, Kyle.

millertime89
02-24-12, 04:58 PM
I need money and space too.

mazzy
02-24-12, 06:06 PM
Partly I joined because I found so much conflicting advice on keeping snakes that I wanted the combined intelligence of enthusiastic herpers as support for my new pet.

Partly I joined because I had just bought my hoggie, and there were pictures of Jaleely's hognose snake bite that I wanted to see. :) Now I know never to rub frogs under my fingernails before playing with Quetzal.

Orthropox14
03-02-12, 10:45 PM
I just love reptiles and want to know more about reptiles as pets.

Strutter769
03-02-12, 11:19 PM
yeah, I was planning on just getting a frilled dragon, but these awesome people have me leaning more towards a monitor now. That was until I met an awesome red iguana today! Making choices sucks...

Wifey and I have decided a red iguana is next!

Not sure if I've posted in this one yet, probably because I can't remember that long ago. The "atmosphere" is incredibly friendly. I was on another forum for a while, where people seemed like they were bothered by questions. You won't find that here on sSNAKESs! I bet each of us learns something from another member each time we visit! This place is just great.

infernalis
03-02-12, 11:26 PM
Just a heads up, Iguanas are cool and all, but are extremely difficult to keep and are moody as hell.

Strutter769
03-02-12, 11:29 PM
Just a heads up, Iguanas are cool and all, but are extremely difficult to keep and are moody as hell.

Difficult how, Wayne? Moody even if raised from a baby? We made a dumb move and got sub-adults once, we were nowhere near prepared for an iguana, much less two, much less sub-adults! Oh it was an awful experience, but I'd really like to try again. This time with a bit more knowledge and a LOT more preparation!

infernalis
03-02-12, 11:32 PM
Difficult how, Wayne? Moody even if raised from a baby? We made a dumb move and got sub-adults once, we were nowhere near prepared for an iguana, much less two, much less sub-adults! Oh it was an awful experience, but I'd really like to try again. This time with a bit more knowledge and a LOT more preparation!

They are arboreal, so you need a tall enclosure, preferably with a tree in it, They need humidity and lots of it, so it has to be sealed well, they tend to be moody so expect a lot of welts from tail whipping, the females tend to egg bind, the list goes on.

UVB requirements or they get MBD...

They are regarded as tougher to keep than most monitors.

BarelyBreathing
03-02-12, 11:33 PM
I have always been told that they need maximum air flow.

theapexgerman
03-02-12, 11:35 PM
Can't belive I didn't post here in this thread I came just cause it pop up on goggle and this forum look cool so I join

Strutter769
03-02-12, 11:37 PM
Thanks for that. Good to know. Yeah, someone around here has gotten me quite interested in monitors too. I can't seem to recall his name though? I think he owns about a third of New York State though and mods a really cool forum. Maybe you know the guy?

infernalis
03-02-12, 11:38 PM
I have always been told that they need maximum air flow.

That's the oxymoron that makes it tough.

I used to know a gal who was awesome with Iguanas, she had a 20x20 glass room built with aluminum framing, it was like Miami in that room, but she's from a "money family" (mom's worth millions) so she had what she needed to pull it off.

High humidity, air flow, tons of room, everything.

BarelyBreathing
03-02-12, 11:47 PM
The way it was explained to me is that you have to have a humidifier on four hour on/off incriments, as well as a fan.

infernalis
03-03-12, 12:01 AM
That could work, Igs were never really my thing, Suzanne's were impressive, but they still died well before they should have.

Husbandry for igs has improved vastly in recent years, but much like some monitors, there is still a ton of room for improvement.

I see them in all sorts of cobbled up rigs, because pet shops like petco still sell W/C juvies for $20-40 each to inexperienced newbs.

alessia55
03-03-12, 09:01 AM
I prefer seeing iguanas in my backyard than in a 20x20 glass room though :hmm:

LISA127
03-03-12, 09:50 AM
I joined almost 10 years ago. I'm a very old member, though I left for quite a while years back. Ten years ago this forum was very, very busy. When ownership changed the forum about died. I waited a few years, came back, and there was a little more activity again. I haven't been a regular poster in many years though. I pop in every couple of months. Things look great again though, so that may change. :)

infernalis
03-03-12, 09:57 AM
I joined almost 10 years ago. I'm a very old member, though I left for quite a while years back. Ten years ago this forum was very, very busy. When ownership changed the forum about died. I waited a few years, came back, and there was a little more activity again. I haven't been a regular poster in many years though. I pop in every couple of months. Things look great again though, so that may change. :)

When I first started moderating, the forum was rather quiet, anymore it's common that if I log out for a few hours, I return to 100+ unread posts.

Funny thing is, I still don't feel burned out by it.

LISA127
03-03-12, 10:06 AM
When I first started moderating, the forum was rather quiet, anymore it's common that if I log out for a few hours, I return to 100+ unread posts.

Funny thing is, I still don't feel burned out by it.
Yeah, it's great to see that it has picked up again! When I first joined many years ago I loved it, and was really bummed when it changed. My only complaint is there are no tortoise/turtle people here it seems. I love snakes and lizards as well, but I really enjoy the chelonians.

infernalis
03-03-12, 10:09 AM
Yeah, it's great to see that it has picked up again! When I first joined many years ago I loved it, and was really bummed when it changed. My only complaint is there are no tortoise/turtle people here it seems. I love snakes and lizards as well, but I really enjoy the chelonians.

We have a guy with a snapper named Tank..

I'll find his thread for you.

I could also ask my friend Jeff to stop in, he breeds turtles.

peach
03-11-12, 10:08 AM
my california king snake i bought at a pet store in feb just laid eggs my question is do they have to be bred to lay eggs or do they just lay them with out being bred? never owned a califorina king snake before

infernalis
03-11-12, 10:22 AM
most egg laying reptiles will ovulate even without a male present, the eggs will be duds, infertile and not capable of hatching.

However snakes can retain sperm for a year or two, so they may be held over from last season.

misha66
03-29-12, 01:17 PM
My sister lost her ball python so i searched the web for lost snake in your house and you popped up we found good suggestions very helpful ,the one we didn't think much of was the answer , look in most obvious place well maybe this was not obvious but , we looked every where from top to bottom for a day and a half ,my sister went to wash the snakes water bowl an got a surprise :Wow: there he was coiled up stuck in the under lip of the bowl , the bowl was ceramic , we try to get him out he wouldn't budge so we had to smash the bowl , well i guess i'm telling you all this so you will be aware ,me and my sister are very aware now were happy philip is ok and safe in his cage.

zaroba
04-14-12, 08:37 PM
Hmm...how I found the site isn't in the poll:

Back in January, A mod from here banned somebody, then followed them to a different reptile site that I'm a mod at and warned us about him. Decided to come here and register, but never became active until recently when another person that was banned from this site made his way over there.

BarelyBreathing
04-14-12, 09:39 PM
Your post makes me want to sing the Jaws theme song.

BlueButterfly
05-03-12, 12:58 PM
I joined this foum to help my Savannah Monitor Harley get the best care since i knew nothing about how to care for him.... I am so glad I did, because Im sure without the info I have learned...his fate would have been bad.. I find most people are friendly here and helpful. Thanks all

Kratos
05-23-12, 08:21 AM
I joined because I rescued a BRB and didnt know anything about it so after browsing the web for the best fourm on thies type of snakes I came across sSNAKESs.com and liked the information being put out and the enviroment.

Now I have the all the knowledge I need a fingure click away.

Will0W783
05-23-12, 09:59 AM
I joined because I was looking to share information on a variety of snakes and get to know other keepers. I have stayed because I really enjoy the community here. :)

Fredricks
05-23-12, 10:07 AM
A guy I work with sold his brb on here. Said it gets a lot of vies so I checked out the forum

Garter
08-16-12, 01:43 PM
Well, I came here because I had a Garter snake question. Please answer it. :)

rmfsnakes32
09-22-12, 09:28 PM
Exwizard reccomended this site since I had so many snakes and he thought I would enjoy my time here (which I have) and also learn some new skills to use and make some new herp friends as I do not have many friends who appreciate my slithering friends! LOL

TheBoogieDown
09-22-12, 09:39 PM
I just joined because I was concerned for my snakes tail. Folks were concerned and knowledgeable, so I stuck around.

Tango
09-24-12, 08:46 AM
I came here because I adopted a type of snake I wasn't familiar with and wanted to learn about it in a forum setting. I googled "snake forum", and the format for this one was least offensive to my dyslexia. :)

Lots of really cool people here!!!

Abby
10-09-12, 04:49 AM
I've always found that when you want to learn about a subject, forums are the place to go. I went searching for a snake forum as soon as I became interested in snakes. I love the advice I find; you get great information directly from people who know what they are talking about.

Danimal
10-09-12, 08:09 AM
I was/am looking for information about the care and breeding of monitors, particularly, the tree monitors.

infernalis
10-09-12, 08:36 AM
I was/am looking for information about the care and breeding of monitors, particularly, the tree monitors.

So start a thread in our Varanid forum... we have one of the best green tree monitor breeders you are likely to ever talk to right here.

Wyldrose
10-09-12, 08:38 AM
I joined because you invited me to Wayne :)

cossiecraig
10-09-12, 11:21 AM
I joined because my children wanted a snake and i was reluctant for about a month to rush out and get 1 for them ( that was a tough month as i really wanted another snake Lol ) that bieng said me and the wife agreed we would as they showed daily interest in by bringing books home from school regarding looking after snakes etc etc......( that was a condition we both told them they had to do ,we wanted too see interest from both of them and they didn't fail us ) .....i guess what i'm really trying to say is that you can read all the books in the world and read the net ,but i've found since joining here i've got too experiance some wonderfull advice and it's a great community to be part off.....great job by the admins and everyone here .thankyou :-D

Philmul
10-11-12, 03:48 AM
My sister lost her ball python so i searched the web for lost snake in your house and you popped up we found good suggestions very helpful ,the one we didn't think much of was the answer , look in most obvious place well maybe this was not obvious but , we looked every where from top to bottom for a day and a half ,my sister went to wash the snakes water bowl an got a surprise :Wow: there he was coiled up stuck in the under lip of the bowl , the bowl was ceramic , we try to get him out he wouldn't budge so we had to smash the bowl , well i guess i'm telling you all this so you will be aware ,me and my sister are very aware now were happy philip is ok and safe in his cage.

My daughter woke me up and said the royal is out of her viv, I looked and the door was open a jar I have found out since that they can push against the glass and escape. I found her behind the radiator. I have since then put a lock on it. Lol

TheMaskedEnigma
11-09-12, 10:28 AM
I've owned snakes in the past, but I'm finally starting up a new breeding project. I've been confused by some stuff and need a place that I can ask questions and get reliable feedback. This seems like a second home to me. :)

TaylorWalker
11-09-12, 09:13 PM
I was searching for info on breeding ball pythons and this was the first forum i found were it seemed like people actually enjoyed answering the questions seriously and being helpful.