PDA

View Full Version : Silkworms

Pixie
01-07-03, 07:13 PM
When I went to the reptile shop to get some more mealworms for my leo I saw they had silkworms for sale and inquired if they could be fed to leos. I was told yes so I picked up a few (as well as food for them) to add to my leo's diet.

My question is, how nutritious are silkworms? Is this another food idem that should be feed sparingly? I wouldn't intend to feed them very often, maybe once a week.

Trace
01-07-03, 07:33 PM
YUM YUM! Silkworms are highly nutritious feeder insects! They are high in protein and low in fat content. They also don't have the hard exoskeleton like mealies and crickets which is not easily digested by reptiles. I use them for my chameleons and they LOVE them. I find 2 or 3 silkies a day will fill them up!

As for how many to feed your leos... personally I would feed them 1 a day.... maybe some of the gecko people here can give their thoughts?!?

Cheers!

Trace

GRRR! Now if I can only get the moths to breed I'd be set! But that's another story!

ReptileHQ
01-07-03, 08:03 PM
To add, they are also high in calcium

silke
01-07-03, 08:07 PM
silkworms are Awesome...they are more nutritious than most other feeders
my leos LOVE them and could very easily get obese from them but my beardie gives me the stink eye whenever he bites down on one

Pixie
01-07-03, 09:00 PM
TOO COOL!!!

Thanks all, that's great news! I may give her 2 or 3 meals a week of a nice silkworm!

DragnDrop
01-08-03, 05:54 PM
Silkworms are nutritious, well balanced, lots of calcium and low fat, easily digested, and must taste really good to leopards.

An adult leo can easily eat a full grown (2-3 inch) sikworm, and some of my oversized leopards (10+ inches) take two per meal. I'd say offer them as many silkworms as they'll easily eat, probably 3-4 half grown per adult leo.

I've got an entire online album of my leopard geckos eating silkworms, if you're interested in seeing just how well they go over at my zoo. It's almost a love affair with food in some cases. :)

Cleo's first kiss:

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/502/321cleo.jpg

"Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have eaten a silkworm at all". .. ... He wasn't such a good kisser anyways.
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/502/321cleoeatingsilkworm.jpg

The rest of the pictures are at:

Leoaprd vs. Silkworms Photo Album Link (http://community.webshots.com/album/48592709vELQHH)

Jaylyn
01-09-03, 09:25 PM
Trace,

I can understand cactus killing - but can you prevent those moths from breeding??? LOL There's non-stop action in the cupboard right now! Maybe you just need more moths at one time?
Jaylyn

Kyle Barker
01-11-03, 08:01 PM
I am curious. Silkworms only mullberry and that premade stuff right? What exactly is in the premade stuff? I personally find it a lot easier to feed my crix ANYTHING i want to make sure that they have all the different nutrients in them (making the crickets a complete diet, except for fat). So with silkworms just eating those few things (if thats all they eat, i really am not sure) how nutrisious could they be. I am not saying they arnt good because i dont know, i am just really fascinated with different feeders and what their content is.

kyle

nouserpif
01-12-03, 01:46 PM
Hey kyle, where can I get a bunch of mullberry, or some premade stuff? I want to start up a colony... Any care tips?

Dan conner

Kyle Barker
01-12-03, 03:06 PM
Im sure any of the nurseries around here could order, especially now that its closer to spring. The premade stuff you can get at many online places. Here is a good place for both food and worms. Mulberry Frams-American (http://www.mulberryfarms.com/index.php?page=main)
I know there are canadian ones i just cant remember. Talk to renee about them, youll probably get further.

kyle

The Cat
01-12-03, 03:38 PM
I have eggs if soemone can be interested. Thay are fertile and healty.

Jaylyn
01-12-03, 05:33 PM
Try www.silkworms.ca in Canada. I recieved a shipment from them a few weeks ago. I couldn't have been more impressed with the worms or the service.

Jaylyn

Alicewave
01-13-03, 08:22 AM
How long do silkies last before they turn into moths?

silke
01-13-03, 11:59 AM
wow...that is variable
i fed mine too much and they grew too fast and went from 2 inch worms to moths in about a month