PDA

View Full Version : Some redback salamanders

Kyle Barker
01-07-03, 04:53 PM
I went out to Centennial Park yesterday looking for some rough skins, (which i found none :( ) and i found a few of these guys. Western redback salamder (i think thats what they are called). Anyways at a whoping 2C it was pretty freaking cold. This one probably wouldnt be breeding this winter but definatly next.
http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/nature/images/sal3
http://www.angelfire.com/emo2/nature/images/sal5

enjoy!

kyle

Kyle Barker
01-08-03, 04:06 PM
Correction, i have been informed that it is a "Abystoma macrodactylum macrodactylum".

kyle

KrokadilyanGuy3
01-12-03, 04:33 PM
...Is that frost thats on the leaf the animal?
Xain

Kyle Barker
01-12-03, 04:47 PM
No just water and the flash made it bright. it was 2C though and droped to -1C that night! Dont know how they can do it, i was freezing, and i had about 4 layers on!

kyle

norman
02-02-03, 03:08 PM
hey kyle...do you know anything about a introduced lizard around the vancouver island area, i think its like a wall lizard or something, but ive never actually seen one. apparently they are in abundance around durance lake. ever seen them?

Kyle Barker
02-06-03, 02:18 PM
Yep catch them all the time. They were introduced at Durance but its a crappy place to catch them due to lower numbers, and its all along the bank (hard to climb it fast enough). There are lots of places that have them, mostly on the lower island. I have also found them in Shawnigan lake. They have many common names (common, Chinese, European wall liz), but their Latin is Podarcis muralis. The ones that i often catch have much more green in them (those are the males) than the ones in Ohio or their native countries. They are also illegal to sell and transport any within BC. Your not even allowed to bring them in or out, technically if its illegal to catch them without trapping permits, and even with those you are not allowed to move them. But they make great garter snake food :)

norman
02-10-03, 10:28 AM
thanks!