PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Feeding Response

NennaMeerkat
08-10-11, 01:52 PM
I felt like I should share with all of you my little hognose's recent feeding response to see if anyone else has any snakes that seem to do the same thing? If I could get video of it I would, but alas cannot.

I still have to toad scent the two pinkies I feed her a week (or week and a half) and so that could be causing some of it. However what she does is that when realizing I am putting the pinkies into the place she eats, a hollow hide type decoration, she will "charge" at me often overrunning the food itself towards my hand or fingers. Her mouth is open and she hisses. Once she is sure I am away from the food she will only then go back to the pinkies and eat. If I don't put both in at one time once I put in the second pinky she will again do the same thing. After putting down the pink charging at me before going back to the food. If I don't put down any food she doesn't charge...if I hold the food she doesn't charge...it is only AFTER I put down the pink does she charge.

What is also fairly amusing is her constant striking at the food and withdrawing like she is a viper or something. If the pink moves while she strikes (they are somewhat sticky cause of the toad rubbed on them) she will hiss and get all irritated usually immediately striking at it again.

She acts like a food aggressive dog "guarding" the meal as well as a viper coaling and striking at the food itself.

SnakeyJay
08-10-11, 01:59 PM
It almost sounds like she feels threatened by the food if she keeps striking it. I dont know tho as i dont have a hoggie.
However i just fed my corn 5 minutes ago and was going to make a thread but ill pop it here. My corn tends to love climbing so i got a higher viv n put a climbing branch from corner to corner. He was up there so i just put his food on one of his hides, sat back and watched. He came hanging straight down and snatched the mouse up, coiled while hanging n ate it aswell. Hes like a little gtp :)

stephanbakir
08-10-11, 02:01 PM
Cute, never heard of that.

NennaMeerkat
08-10-11, 02:02 PM
It almost sounds like she feels threatened by the food if she keeps striking it. I dont know tho as i dont have a hoggie.
However i just fed my corn 5 minutes ago and was going to make a thread but ill pop it here. My corn tends to love climbing so i got a higher viv n put a climbing branch from corner to corner. He was up there so i just put his food on one of his hides, sat back and watched. He came hanging straight down and snatched the mouse up, coiled while hanging n ate it aswell. Hes like a little gtp :)

Ha ha your corn thinks he is a tree snake! That is awesome. Of course corns in the wild have been known to snatch up small possums and birds so its not overly surprising it would be willing to snatch something while hanging. Still must have been awesome to see. Obviously your corn is gonna be fun to watch eating just like my hoggie.

SnakeyJay
08-10-11, 02:03 PM
Oh n sorry Nenna if i steered off topic, ur hoggie sounds like she puts on a good show.

NennaMeerkat
08-10-11, 02:04 PM
Oh n sorry Nenna if i steered off topic, ur hoggie sounds like she puts on a good show.

You didn't steer off topic hun! You were talking about a feeding from your corn...same enough subject for me ;)

SnakeyJay
08-10-11, 02:08 PM
My corn will follow my hand instead of the food sometimes if i put it down, but thats cuz of the movement... "ooh whats that" is in his head i think. But it doesnt sound like what ur getting. Has she struck at you or is she just bluffing?

NennaMeerkat
08-10-11, 02:10 PM
My corn will follow my hand instead of the food sometimes if i put it down, but thats cuz of the movement... "ooh whats that" is in his head i think. But it doesnt sound like what ur getting. Has she struck at you or is she just bluffing?

Oh she is all bluff she has never struck or even made the attempt to LOL I have even taken to washing my hands cause I thought it was the toad on my hand that makes her do the chasing. But she will watch me put the pinky down and then once my hand starts pulling away she will just rush towards it. Honestly I think she is just a priss and is like those bullies in school that only really chase you and such when you start walking away. Ya know? All talk no real fight.

SnakeyJay
08-10-11, 02:24 PM
Lol i wish my brb n corn were like that... when they chase my hands they mean it. Nom nom. :)

ineedsoap16
08-10-11, 04:46 PM
That's funny. Never seen that. 2 of mine hiss but not like that.

NennaMeerkat
08-10-11, 04:56 PM
That's funny. Never seen that. 2 of mine hiss but not like that.

She is a funny feisty girl. What is that saying...full of piss and vinegar? Good news is as aggressive as she seems to be while eating when she isn't, cool as a cucumber and enjoyable to have out from time to time.