PDA

View Full Version : New Tank + Feeding (pic heavy)

NennaMeerkat
07-07-11, 07:50 PM
So this past weekend I did a TOTAL revamp of the tank my hognose was in.

BEFORE:
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6137/p1030404s.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3484/p1030405k.jpg

AFTER:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4985/84893912.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2426/97530244.jpg

You think I overdid the plants? ROTFL My stores had HUGE HUGE sales on a lot of things so I snagged everything I could and didn't even use it all! From driftwood to smooth river rocks. It was fun I must admit and hope to do my leopard geckos next. Though they seem to enjoy their open space.

My girl still hides most of the time and everything but at least her home looks good so when she does grow a little confidence she will feel a bit more comfortable. Anyone know how to build a snake's confidence? I bet it isn't even possible!

stephanbakir
07-07-11, 07:51 PM
Look great!

NennaMeerkat
07-07-11, 07:52 PM
Here are pics of her eating today in her new home:

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9397/42169925.jpg
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6264/22797857.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/5863/56830353.jpg
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4560/98855772.jpg

stephanbakir
07-07-11, 08:04 PM
Look at that smile in the last pic!

NennaMeerkat
07-07-11, 08:11 PM
Look at that smile in the last pic!

I couldn't help but laugh aloud after taking that picture. That is the happiest snake in the entire world at that moment. Wish I could have gotten it a little better. Perhaps another time.

shaunyboy
07-07-11, 08:20 PM
i liked both ways you had your tank decorated

imo both looked very natural and very pleasing on the eye

cute looking wee hoggie you have there

cheers shaun

NennaMeerkat
07-07-11, 08:23 PM
Thanks for that Shaun. I might go back to the more "open" look once she is bigger. But being so small I thought she might be happier overall when she doesn't have to dash through the open space to her hides.

And she is most certainly a wee hoggie...seems like she hasn't grown an inch since I got her in February. Hopefully she will hit a growth spurt or something! Maybe some steroids or cattle growth hormones (joking of course)

kreaturekeeper
07-07-11, 09:14 PM
Super cute! I love the last photo :D

ilovemypets1988
07-07-11, 09:20 PM
the only way to gain a snakes confidence is to throw the snake in the proverbial deep end, take her hides out for acouple of days so that the snake has no choice but to gain there convidence, or just leave her in the dark with very low lighting attached to a dimmer switch and raise the lighting levels alittle at a time until you get to the full spectrum of lighting, wait until she comes out at each lighting level before brightening up the light

Gungirl
07-08-11, 07:10 AM
the only way to gain a snakes confidence is to throw the snake in the proverbial deep end, take her hides out for acouple of days so that the snake has no choice but to gain there convidence, or just leave her in the dark with very low lighting attached to a dimmer switch and raise the lighting levels alittle at a time until you get to the full spectrum of lighting, wait until she comes out at each lighting level before brightening up the light

Now I would think that by taking everything out of her home you would stress the crap outta her?! I don't know much but I would think that by giving her time and putting your hand in the tank often so that she can smell you and realize you aren't going to grab at her would be a better way..no?

Great pics.. you are making me want one.. maybe the expo in oct I can talk the man into buying me one... bahahaha

Lankyrob
07-08-11, 10:46 AM
If the snake wants to hide then by giving it plenty of place to hde you are respecting its needs and doing what you can to ensure a long and happy life. I have 3 snakes that hide 99.9% of their time, they have the option of choosing to be on view or to be hidden - i respect their choice.

TeaNinja
07-08-11, 11:16 AM
that prey looks kind of small for mr hoggie.

NennaMeerkat
07-08-11, 12:42 PM
Great pics.. you are making me want one.. maybe the expo in oct I can talk the man into buying me one... bahahaha

Funny you should say that since it was my own man who talked me into getting a hoggie. They are great snakes though. Honestly love my little shy girl to death!

that prey looks kind of small for mr hoggie.

Yeah but it leaves a nice size lump in her. Her body is pretty thin compared to her head. Probably after next shed I will consider going up to the next size in food items. But as long as that nice sized lump is in her I will be staying on this large pinkies I have. Besides no one else in my house will eat them...worse comes to worse I throw in two a week rather than one.

ilovemypets1988
07-08-11, 12:46 PM
or you can use them as a perfect excuse to get another :)

vendettaseve
07-08-11, 01:01 PM
Looking good. I think I prefer the look of the second setup I think, the plants and everything give it a nice feel :)

NennaMeerkat
07-08-11, 01:20 PM
I would prefer the more open option of the setups only because it was uber easy to find her whenever I just wanted to put an eyeball on her. Now its like having to pick through everything carefully now not to tear up the joint and not to cause her stress from seeing the leaves and such getting pulled away. So its kinda a catch 22. Looks beautiful...but hard to find a small snake even more so now.

NennaMeerkat
07-08-11, 01:23 PM
or you can use them as a perfect excuse to get another :)

Oh you are funny...but we are uber strapped for cash. Having to go outside in 100+ degrees heat right now to snatch up small grasshoppers for my leopards. I can't even afford a small amount of meal worms. I ain't got the money to buy another setup. No getting "another" will have to wait until a tank clears up. And at this point it seems like a race between my bearded dragon and my two ratties. Kyjinn is 5 years old and my ratties are 3 years old...they are neck and neck!

And yes I realize I am horrible for calling the end of their lives a "race". No worries though folks. They get tons of love, plenty of food, and excellent care. I might have plans for their tanks after they are gone but that doesn't mean I really want them to die.

mhd730399
07-29-11, 01:14 PM
let me just say the tanks awsome, i can tell you love your pets. on my hogs tanks i use about 3 inches of sani chips and thats my guys and girls main hiding spots. but i do offer a humid hide on the hot side a generously sized water bowl and a hid on the cool side in all my tubs.

RegenerationRep
09-30-11, 08:45 PM
With all the pot plants, it actually looks like Mexico :P Aha just kidding. Great looking plants and snake! :)

alessia55
10-01-11, 07:51 AM
Your new revamped tank looks awesome, in my opinion. I wish I had the time or creativity to give my guys a cool looking space like that. Sometime soon I hope I might. But two days ago when I cleaned out one of my ball python's cage, I took all the substrate out to replace it and I decided to go with putting more bedding and making it deeper, and he loved it! Ever since he has become ballpython-turned-sandboa lol. He is constantly burrowing in it.
ANYWAY, great set up. :)

jaleely
11-18-11, 02:03 AM
i love the setup! and I have to say i LOVE your user pic...that is sooooo cute!

And i have to agree with gungirl..taking away the hides will just stress the snake. What i did to get my girl friendly, was just handle her for just a couple minutes each day. She is so friendly now! totally used to it and comes out a lot and watches us in the living room. Actually all but my two newest snakes (they're in quarentine upstairs) are in the living room, so they get used to the dogs running around, and us going back and forth between the tv and the kitchen *lol* all but one of the living room snakes likes to have their head poking out of their hides, or to be slithering around. Especially at night, of course!

My new little hoggy, Perry, has adapted pretty quickly as well. He and Copper, my girl, both hang out now in the corner of their cages where they can see all the action.