PDA

View Full Version : Deworming Wc's

RandyRhoads
05-16-11, 08:50 PM
What meds do I need to buy to get rid of parasites in my WC NorPacs? Can I buy it online there are no vets that will take hots around. Is this a good way to go about administering it? Any tips or suggestions before I do something I said I would never do and gamble with my health for the health of my snakes....

Venomous snake restraint: tubing (http://www.kingsnake.com/snakegetters/demo/tube/index2.html)

stephanbakir
05-16-11, 09:05 PM
Honestly, unless someone one the forum who is an avid hot keeper answers, i would be careful taking the advice and do allot of research first.

That being said, if I were in your shoes i would look in my area for a hot keeper, shouldn't be too hard to find. Ask their advice and you might luck out and get a referral to someone who is unlisted but has allot of experience doing it. Worst case all you lose is time.

RandyRhoads
05-16-11, 09:40 PM
I've tried the closest I came was a whisper of a guy who breeds hots about 45 minutes away. I was given his name to google but nothing turned up. I have time i'm in no rush to do this. I will ask around a bit more first.

Do you know if there's an all around med that knocks out all parasites that would be present in a WC? If so what's the name and can I buy it without a prescription?

Will0W783
08-04-11, 12:41 PM
I would say treat them with Panacur. I've no hots, but I've successfully dewormed wildcaught non-hots by feeding with frozen/thawed and injecting the panacure down the dead rat's throat, then feeding it to the snake. It seems likely to me that this method would work for deworming hots as well. Panacure is sold as a paste for horses that I use. If you go online and search, you can find the conversion equation to doses of panacur paste for herps.
Flagyl (metronidazole) is also a good all-around antibiotic and deparasitizer, but it cannot be purchased without a veterinary license, and I do not know if it can be given orally. I personally would not want to give injections to a hot herp.