PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, which gecko- which gecko?

whoaxmary
05-09-11, 06:49 AM
;o So, my boyfriend moved into his new apartment yesterday, and this morning he told me he needs a pet. :)

He used to have a ton of different gecko's with his sister before coming here last year, and I know he's really missed them. (Have since all been sold by his sister.) He's been talking about wanting one for a while, but wanted to get moving out of the way first. Now that we're getting closer to being done moving all of his stuff, I can tell he's getting more and more eager.

Just thought I'd ask and see what sort of gecko's you guys suggest, beyond leopards as I already have a male. So, any gecko species, along with why you recommed them would be most welcome. :)

red ink
05-09-11, 07:27 AM
I keep Nephrurus levis pilbarensis and Strophurus taenicauda. Nice little geckoes and pretty easy to maintain.

stephanbakir
05-09-11, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure what experience either of you have, but if all you have been doing is taking care of geckos and you already have experience with leos why not try your hand at breeding them??
It's amazing, sometimes scary, fascinating and depending on what you breed you never know what your gona get!

reptile65
05-09-11, 09:35 AM
Crested geckos! They are really great little geckos and relatively easy to care for.

stephanbakir
05-09-11, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure what experience either of you have, but if all you have been doing is taking care of geckos and you already have experience with leos why not try your hand at breeding them??
It's amazing, sometimes scary, fascinating and depending on what you breed you never know what your gona get!

Just a side note i thought i needed to add. Breeding normal leos will almost never be a source of financial profit, but you generally break even and its an experience worth having.

whoaxmary
05-09-11, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by stephanbakir http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/images/grunged/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/general-lizard-forum/86642-hmm-gecko-gecko.html#post608127)
Just a side note i thought i needed to add. Breeding normal leos will almost never be a source of financial profit, but you generally break even and its an experience worth having.

I have HIGHLY considered this, actually. Like you said it seems amazing, scarey, yet fascinating, so Breeding in general interests me, and I thought leo's would be a great place to start, and I have done a lot of research, but I still fear I could get in over my head. lol. My male is a normal, and we agreed if we decided to breed him we would put the money forth to find a nice morph. . .Annnnd I have had people tell me they would buy one if I did, and I helped them learn how to care for it which 'm more than happy to.
Errr, you know, I wanted to explain to you why we aren't doing it, but I'm just convincing myself maybe....
:eek:
lmao

whoaxmary
05-09-11, 01:19 PM
I keep Nephrurus levis pilbarensis and Strophurus taenicauda. Nice little geckoes and pretty easy to maintain.

Both of these are very cute. :)
Is that first one what's commonly called a 'knob-tail' gecko? Sorry for my ignorance.

stephanbakir
05-09-11, 02:12 PM
Good luck with whatever you choose.

ilovemypets1988
05-09-11, 02:21 PM
if your gunna breed a leo, may i suggest a super mack snow as they are prominent genes and will give you a 50-50 split between normals and snows, however if you wanted to get a specific breeding pair, i would definitely go for a pinstripe and another equally satisfying morph. failing that, you could go for a crested gecko, exactly the same husbandry as leos except, cresties need is more humidity at 70-80% (i think).

either way i hope that you enjoy anything that you do decide on and get.
please keep us posted :)

red ink
05-09-11, 03:46 PM
Both of these are very cute. :)
Is that first one what's commonly called a 'knob-tail' gecko? Sorry for my ignorance.

The "common" knob tailed gecko as you know over there are Nephrurus levis levis, but yes they are know tailed geckoes. Mine are Pilbara knob tailed geckoes...

Here's a pic of one of mine..
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/geckos/P1010926.jpg

A hatchling from this season
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/geckos/P1020516.jpg

Golden tailed gecko
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/geckos/P1010966.jpg

Hatchling
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/Red-Ink-Buldogs/geckos/P1020361.jpg

whoaxmary
05-09-11, 03:49 PM
Crested geckos! They are really great little geckos and relatively easy to care for.
I think these, or Gargoyle (sp?) geckos are what he is leaning towards. I really like the looks of the crested. :)

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks - when I get home tonight I'll talk to him about it some more and see how he feels new gecko vs breeding leo.

if your gunna breed a leo, may i suggest a super mack snow as they are prominent genes and will give you a 50-50 split between normals and snows,
Thanks. :D There are so many morphs I'm having a hard time researching them all and narrowing down choices if we do decide do take the breeding road.

either way i hope that you enjoy anything that you do decide on and get.
please keep us posted
Oh, I will be happy either way. :) lol And I will. :) I'll let you all know if we come any closer to a decision tonight. :D Thanks for all the imput, and any more is welcome. :D

stephanbakir
05-09-11, 04:09 PM
Whatever you choose, your probably going to enjoy it.

whoaxmary
05-09-11, 07:37 PM
Soo..Our debate comes to this. Brumation season has already passed, if we were to breed would we have to wait until next January to start the whole process?
This seems like a silly question but as always the internet gives me condradicting information, so I'd like to read it from someone with person experience rather than a website.

whoaxmary
05-11-11, 06:18 AM
So I guess we'll be picking up a leopard gecko (female) at the may 29th toronto expo. :O Guess I'll be looking through the venders list and seeing what will be available. :O

ilovemypets1988
05-11-11, 06:41 AM
may i ask you a question which may come across as silly;

when you breed your leo and you look for another, are you looking to breed for the experience and thinking about keeping the young or try your hand at selling the young.

if you are going to sell the young, then your better off with a dominant or co-dominant genetic leopard, i would search under those (dominant and co-dominant morphs) and pick 1 of those as your more than likely to get a 50/50 split of young that you can then have a variety of young and be able to sell them more easily.

whoaxmary
05-11-11, 12:56 PM
We're still debating this,
When we realised we'd be going to the Expo - I already knew I'd have my eye open for a new snake. Don't have tons of money to spend, but we're trying to get some saved aside for that, and the enw gecko. As I mentioned above, a few people have offered to buy them off of me, but I don't think I will be able to get my money back, expecially the first time round.
It is more or less for the learning experience. By what i've seen though, even dominant genetic leopards don't seem to run too too high, so we will probably try to find something a little more fancy, as we plan to keep the female, and possably something from the clutch, assumeing we get that far.

Millinex
05-11-11, 04:38 PM
Regardless of genetics, or breeding for profit, unless you are breeding multiple pairs/in decent numbers, you really won't see a huge amount of money from breeding leos. The market is going through a pretty rough stage at the moment and leos just aren't worth as much, if you want to breed for profit, go with something else, leos for experience, same goes for corn snakes.

As for best pets, I'm a huge huge fan of Tokays, awesome to watch, good size, eat everything in the world, aggressive but will calm down, sweet barks, and affordable, you can't lose!

-Mike

whoaxmary
05-13-11, 04:42 PM
Not really looking to make to much of a profit off of it. Looking for the experience more or less.

I had an offer for a "yellow gecko" (I was thinking she meant high-yellow? sending me pictures tonight) from someone for 40 dollars. .. I got my male for 40, along with everything he needed... Plus this girl is about 3 hours away so I'm not possative if I'll go for it.
Sure I could get something better for the same price if I wait until the expo.

reptile65
05-13-11, 04:56 PM
Not really looking to make to much of a profit off of it. Looking for the experience more or less.

I had an offer for a "yellow gecko" (I was thinking she meant high-yellow? sending me pictures tonight) from someone for 40 dollars. .. I got my male for 40, along with everything he needed... Plus this girl is about 3 hours away so I'm not possative if I'll go for it.
Sure I could get something better for the same price if I wait until the expo.

You can definitely find a nicer gecko for $40 at a reptile show, in my opinion. Not that high yellows aren't nice, but I've seen some "higher end" morphs for decent prices at shows.

whoaxmary
05-13-11, 05:51 PM
My thoughts exactly.
I did just find another pair, of bibrons though this time, going for 40 dollars, with enclosure hides, water bowls. etc. And they're a bit closer than the leo. Much better deal. ;p The owner seems to be more concerned about them going to a good home then making money off of them which is nice. It's good I'm not rich, or I would be over whelmed with reptiles. ;p

reptile65
05-13-11, 08:12 PM
My thoughts exactly.
I did just find another pair, of bibrons though this time, going for 40 dollars, with enclosure hides, water bowls. etc. And they're a bit closer than the leo. Much better deal. ;p The owner seems to be more concerned about them going to a good home then making money off of them which is nice. It's good I'm not rich, or I would be over whelmed with reptiles. ;p

Nice! I've heard Bibrons geckos can be aggressive, but I don't have any experience with them so don't take my word for it.

whoaxmary
05-14-11, 09:33 AM
Yup, I've heard the same.
Though the only bibron I ever met was fairly nice, sat on my hand and was fairly docile.

Still talking it out with Tristan.
The owner was suppose to email me last night but hasn't yet. ;/