PDA

View Full Version : he ate again!

thomas1123
05-06-11, 09:33 PM
he ate again here are some pics! i went and bought some pinks that weren't the blue box kind and i got them for like 5 bucks cheaper lol idk why he decided to eat it were he did lol i was going to try to lure him over to his hide but he struck before i could move it lol sorry if the pics arent great i didnt want to disturb him to much on his second feed.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z355/thomas1123/WP_000128.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z355/thomas1123/WP_000129.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z355/thomas1123/WP_000132.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z355/thomas1123/WP_000130.jpg

stephanbakir
05-06-11, 09:38 PM
Looks life a safe place to eat, whos gona climb up a cactus to steal his food.

NennaMeerkat
05-06-11, 10:09 PM
Oh man Thomas you totally have a keeper of a snake! With these feeding antics who needs anything else. Congrats on getting him to eat for you again!!

SnakeyJay
05-06-11, 10:10 PM
Cool pics... Dinner with a view!

thomas1123
05-06-11, 10:55 PM
Thanks lol he was trying to escape whenever i fed him lol thats why he was on the cactus lol but he looks fat and happy now so im happy lol

NennaMeerkat
05-06-11, 11:30 PM
You realize you will now have to feed him like that everytime...;)

thomas1123
05-07-11, 12:04 AM
really? lol after the third feeding i was going to start holding him and trying to feed him in a different container.

NennaMeerkat
05-07-11, 01:53 AM
really? lol after the third feeding i was going to start holding him and trying to feed him in a different container.

LOL Hun it is more of a joke. But understand that you are setting up a routine of feeding. I would try the next time you feed to feed him how you want to permanently feed him. If he gets used to eating in his tank he is going to expect it. In my experience it is good to setup a way of feeding you plan on doing from here on out.

At least that is what my breeder told me when I first got my own hognose.

stephanbakir
05-07-11, 02:28 AM
People will argue for and against tub feeding till the end of time. Personally I find the location really doesn't matter as much as the time (every 7 days etc)

NennaMeerkat
05-07-11, 04:02 AM
People will argue for and against tub feeding till the end of time. Personally I find the location really doesn't matter as much as the time (every 7 days etc)

That is true I suppose. I did read a lot of information tonight when I was curious on what my breeder said being "correct" or not. I suppose everyone has their own opinion. Me I don't care where my snake eats just as long as she eats. Hoggies can sometimes be a little "finicky" when they eat or where they eat. I think it has to do with security more than anything.

sickvenom
05-07-11, 10:46 AM

obviously this comes up a lot, and can become a heated discussion. there's currently another thread referring to this topic. we will never understand animal behavior 100%. some people feed in a tub, some don't. it all depends on what works for that keeper and their specimens. if you have dozens or hundreds of snakes, it's not practical to feed them in tubs. furthermore, some specimens don't display 'feeding aggression' (or whatever the term of the day is.) the other argument is regarding ingestion of substrate. this is a little more serious than aggression, but again - it's situation specific. this is one of those topics where there is no clear right or wrong answer.

sassy_snake_lady
05-07-11, 11:02 AM
My hognose has just started feeding for the first time since I bought him. I have owned him for 7 weeks and he took his first mouse 5 days ago.

I tried everything you can think of to get him feeding. Different food, different location, different size food, different times of day etc etc

In the end he just decided it was time to eat again. He was put in a feeding tub with a fresh killed mouse and he went for it without hesitation and the same again today.

All my other snakes are fed in the tubs they live in but it seems this one prefers a feeding tub!