PDA

View Full Version : hognose eat methods?

thomas1123
04-16-11, 01:40 AM
hey guys i just wanted to know the different ways to get a hognose to eat a pinkie? im getting one soon and i would love to hear what you guys do!
Thanks

presspirate
04-16-11, 02:34 AM
I've heard of scenting the pink with tuna, but I've never done it. Someone here has for sure, good luck!

NennaMeerkat
04-16-11, 04:29 AM
LOL there are tons of ways. You need to find out through your breeder, or the person you get the snake from, what they do. Most are fed thawed previously frozen pinkies in a container where the snake can easily find their prey. Not only that but it may prefer someplace dark and quite. If it won't eat thawed pinkies you can indeed try scenting it with any number of things. Chicken broth, tuna, or salmon. If that doesn't work you might have to buy a toad or small lizard (like an anole) and scent the thawed pinky with that. Good news is that you can refreeze the toad/lizard and use it for about 3 months before you have to start over again.

However most hoggies with non-wild parents will readily eat pinkies from the get go. Sometimes you can have finickiness but remember that snakes can go several weeks without eating. By the time a breeder sells a snake it should be an established eater with a routine in place. It will just be up to you to mimic this routine as best as possible.

stephanbakir
04-16-11, 08:45 AM
Asking the breeder what he fed them is probably your best bet

sickvenom
04-16-11, 10:58 AM
yes, some hogs will eat pinks scented with tuna juice. i probably wouldn't recommend the tuna packed in oil, however. obviously, you can also use lizard and toads or frogs.

thomas1123
04-16-11, 11:15 AM
Thanks but i have one question lol has anyone ever bought lizard and then froze it? lol it seems kinda mean but a little funny at the same time lol

NennaMeerkat
04-16-11, 12:01 PM
Thanks but i have one question lol has anyone ever bought lizard and then froze it? lol it seems kinda mean but a little funny at the same time lol

I did. Bought an anole and froze it. I have it "just in case" type thing. Once you unfreeze it you have 3 months to use it.

Lankyrob
04-17-11, 08:12 AM
Before you worry about all the different methods dont forget that you may get one that just eats f/t mice with no extra attentions. You MAY be looking for problems that dont exist.

infernalis
04-17-11, 08:16 AM
Before you worry about all the different methods dont forget that you may get one that just eats f/t mice with no extra attentions. You MAY be looking for problems that dont exist.

excellent point, most breeders worth anything will have made sure you get a snake that just eats without any fuss.

sickvenom
04-17-11, 10:32 AM
most breeders worth anything

that's the key phrase right there!