PDA

View Full Version : Are most baby boas mean, or is it just mine?

J.J.
01-03-03, 04:05 PM
Hey all, It's been a while. Well, Anways, My baby boa used to be really really nice and sweet until we had to take her to the vet and after that she has been really crotchety. (lol) AND yesterday she finally bit me! I know that after the vet trip she wanted to bite me, and she finally got her chance! She was acting really cute and sweet so i went to pick her up, then she looked mean, so i back off and picked up her hide log and put it in front of her so sdhe wouldnt bite me and then she acted sweet, then outta nowhere, she bit me! I Screamed and accidently flung her to the other side of her cage cuz she had her jaws clamped onto my thumb. Well, I guess what i am trying to ask is, is she going to be like this forever? Or is she just mean cuz she is a baby? or what?!?!? Please lemme know! Thanx! :D

asphyxia
01-03-03, 04:24 PM
Yea, I was told most are nippy mine sure was/is

Plus she was probably pissed at going to the vet.

B

Big Mike
01-03-03, 04:37 PM
Is it getting close to shed time? I find that my snakes behavior will change quite a bit when they are getting ready to shed.

Them and Us
01-03-03, 04:54 PM
mine is just calming down and its been 5 months. i haven't been tagged yet though.

J.J.
01-03-03, 07:22 PM
Alright, phew. I was hoping that this was just normal snippy behavior! Umm, I dont think she is getting close to shedding time. sooo, I dunno! Thanx again people! :D

Linds
01-03-03, 08:54 PM
It's not that she's mean, she's just scared. Babies are naturally defensive since in the wild, they are easy targets for predators due to their small size. It takes a while in captivity, but eventually they will realize (with your help) that there isn't anything to fear. Also, just be careful that you don't have any odour of rodent or birds on you, that will trigger a nasty bite from even the most acclimated snake around :p

Them and Us
01-03-03, 09:13 PM
yeah i wash my hands with soap and then use purell hand sanitizer after i handle prey.

J.J.
01-07-03, 04:30 PM
Ok thanx linds, and dont worry about the rodent odor thing, I ALWAYS make sure i was my hands if i have been holding a rodent! I dont want my snake thinking im its food, that wouldnt help her at all, then she would just be scared & hungry!! LOL! thanx again everybody! :D

paolo_28
01-08-03, 11:16 AM
Hey JJ, I think the reason why you snake is aggresive is because of the visit she had with the vet. My Baby RTB"TITAN" is very tame. Sometimes I think of him as a dog, cuz he likes it when I pet his head and underneath his chin.

Don't worry, she'll come around.

Paolo

zouleous
01-08-03, 11:26 AM
My baby boa is a sweetheart and has been since day one when I get him about 6 months ago. He's a little head shy, but never agressive........yet =)

Z

vanderkm
01-08-03, 01:43 PM
Our boas have not been aggressive at all as babies, but the stress of a visit to the vet may have been a factor with yours. Seems most non-feeding related bites occur when snakes are being picked up, and once they can crawl on you they relax. We usually use a hook to pick up our snakes or at least to warn them that we are going to be lifting them, rather than just picking them up. We will even just stroke it along their body, firmly but gently to let them know what is coming. You might find it helps to get a hook, even with a baby snake. Then you don't have to worry about another bite and you will be more confident.

Mary v.

snake_lover
01-09-03, 08:21 PM
My snakes are very sweet eccept for suri ,,,when i got him (he is w/c) HE was very grumpy ...And still is sometimes ..most of those are when he is in shed ...he got me more 10 times...lol...Anyway maybe she doesn't want to get disturbed??maybe he/she is just stressed out after the trip to the vet ,,,

------
thomas

snake_lover
01-09-03, 08:22 PM
he got me more then 10 times**

Edwin
01-09-03, 09:25 PM
If they bite you, bite them back. :) Just joking, I wouldn't bite them back, cos I might get salmonella.

My bci was nippy when I first got her, but I just let her bite away and held her even tighter. She eventually got the message that biting is not going to help.

PortCreditPets
01-09-03, 09:27 PM
Most baby snakes will constantly strike in defense until they can distinguish feeding and handling habits. It is always best to use the hands for handling or a hook even better if the opportunity arises and hemostats to offer food items. Give it time and keep on workiing with the snake it will come around.

Grant
www.portcreditpets.com