PDA

View Full Version : He came through!

Sapphyr
02-26-11, 01:05 PM
Well, Scott, the vendor I was hoping to get me an albino or red hognose, did come through for me! He called me this morning saying he found albino hognoses for $200~ Next month I'll have my new baby~

I'm also glad that it actually -is- a baby. I get to watch it grow :D

He sent me this pic on his cellphone:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Neutralized/Xybe%20and%20Expo%20pics/imagejpeg_2_2.jpg

Now I just need to think of a name for my new little boy.

infernalis
02-26-11, 01:12 PM
Now I just need to think of a name for my new little boy.

Harley!!

Harley Davidson - Hog

Sapphyr
02-26-11, 01:46 PM
Harley!!

Harley Davidson - Hog

Like the motorcycles? :B

I was thinking more along the lines of relating to his looks.

Something Firey, Powerful, Masculine, and with subtle Attitude.

Maybe Zephyr?.. Not 100% sure on that name.

Reptile_Reptile
02-26-11, 01:49 PM
i gotta say jormungonder the world eater. i always suggest this, its really a great name for a snake. its based in norse mythology he is the equivalent to the greek titans. if you want to think of it like that. and its super bad *** and funny cause jormungonder is huge, and a hoggy is so tiny and cute

Sapphyr
02-26-11, 01:57 PM
i gotta say jormungonder the world eater. i always suggest this, its really a great name for a snake. its based in norse mythology he is the equivalent to the greek titans. if you want to think of it like that. and its super bad *** and funny cause jormungonder is huge, and a hoggy is so tiny and cute

I was gonna say, I would find that more appropriate for a Burmese than a tiny lil' hoggie ;c and I know you've suggested this to someone else LOL I think it's a pretty good suggestion~ but that's one lengthy name ;c

presspirate
02-26-11, 02:33 PM
Something Firey, Powerful, Masculine, and with subtle Attitude.

:crazy2:How Bout Greg :wacky:

Sapphyr
02-26-11, 02:34 PM
:crazy2:How Bout Greg :wacky:

xD Haha Greg~ You're funny c:

mld
02-26-11, 02:47 PM
It's A Boy! Congratulations, It actually looks like how they keep babies in the maternity ward in these little plastic beds, all he needs is a blue blanket.

Keel….because their scales are Keeled
Puff…..because they puff up
Viper..because they are so ferociously cute

Sapphyr
02-26-11, 02:50 PM
It's A Boy! Congratulations, It actually looks like how they keep babies in the maternity ward in these little plastic beds, all he needs is a blue blanket.

Keel….because their scales are Keeled
Puff…..because they puff up
Viper..because they are so ferociously cute

I like Viper c: .. It's got that certain flare I'm looking for~ but I don't know.. to me, that's like naming a dog 'Wolf'... Kinda obvious, but slightly off.

and rofl, it'd be just adorable to see a blue blanket in there LOL 3 more weeks 'til I get him~ I can't wait <3 His cage is already set up and ready D;

presspirate
02-26-11, 02:53 PM
xD Haha Greg~ You're funny c:
I couldn't resist.....Seriously, congrats on your new baby. I can't wait to see pics when you get him!

Sapphyr
02-26-11, 03:57 PM
I couldn't resist.....Seriously, congrats on your new baby. I can't wait to see pics when you get him!

Oh I'll be sure to take pics~ I'll be getting him March 20th.

Sapphyr
02-27-11, 02:00 AM
Update: Turns out I'll be getting him this week! :D Yeeeeyyyy!

marvelfreak
02-27-11, 03:21 AM
Congrats! Albino hog = White Meat aka pork chop lol:)

NennaMeerkat
02-27-11, 03:47 AM
Males in hognose can be a good bit smaller than females and the ones I have handled in the past have all had "issues" with this it would seem. Always putting up a big game to make up for their smaller size/stature. So when you do pick a name you want it to be something that would match it. Maybe look at some latin names. I had 2 red corn snakes that were named Durus and Aztec. Ended up Durus sorta went insane, thought he was a cobra or something and took the attitude of one. So I remember his name matching that attitude problem he had.

Also that is a beautiful snake. Can't wait until you can post your own pics.

shaunyboy
02-27-11, 08:55 AM
how about calling him " bargain " as he is a great price very cheap compaired to what we would pay over here for a visual albino hoggy

cheers shaun

Shmoges
02-27-11, 10:04 AM
We were interested in the red phase but ouch they are expensive,

mld
02-27-11, 10:24 AM
Congrats! Albino hog = White Meat aka pork chop lol:)

pork chop is a cute name:)

blindfireak40
02-27-11, 11:19 AM
x3 on pork chop...or porky :)

Sapphyr
02-27-11, 12:53 PM
Pork chop is cute xD rofl~

and Nenna, I had no clue about the males being that way ;c I really hope mine isn't -as- bas as that.

And I know right?! Funny story, Shaun. So, around 8AM Scott had sent me that pic. I called him about it around 10AM. By the time he got around to getting hoggie for me, the idiot had jacked the price up to $275. Scott had to argue with the vendor telling him he jacked up the price and he had proof. Ofcourse, the vendor was like,"No you don't.." and so Scott showed the pic and ended up getting it for 200~

My mom thought I was crazy to pay $200 for a snake and I'm like,"... That's a -really- good deal. BHB is selling their albino hog for $300 and I know a lady on deviantART that bought her albino hog for $500." And to make it even more reasonable. She payed $500 for her purebred pug. $500 for my stepfather's purebred pug, and $500 for my purebred American Eskimo puppy. I personally think it's 100% easier to take two purebred dogs, toss 'em together, and expect 100% a litter of purebred puppies that'll go for $500+ each. You're not as lucky with reptiles, in my opinion. Ya may get a normal here, a hypo there, a morph right here... and all in one clutch. So your profit from a breeding isn't stable and isn't guaranteed 100%. Then again, I know absolutely nothing about breeding snakes. What I do know, though, is albinism is a genetic mutation. :l

And Shmoges, do you mean Red Phase as in these?:

http://www.scales-tails.co.uk/images/hognose/redhog.jpg

I was also interested in those, but I was trying to stay within' a range of $250 and below. Albino is the next best thing if you like red/orange hoggies and you're trying to stay relatively cheap.

Ch^4
02-27-11, 02:10 PM
Congrats on your new hoggie! We can't wait to see him in your possession!

mld
02-27-11, 02:24 PM
So glad to hear that he is coming this week!:yes:

NennaMeerkat
02-27-11, 02:55 PM
Its nothing to worry about hun, the little guys that I handled were all "talk" and nothing else. They didn't even flatten out their heads or strike. Just threw a true hissy fit XD it was actually really really cute considering the size of the the snake overall.

Shmoges
02-27-11, 03:59 PM
Yeah that is the one sapph, I have been reading up on eastern hoggies and westerns also asian and mexican vine snakes......they arn't sounding so scary anymore (the venomous part).

Sapphyr
02-27-11, 04:33 PM
Yeah that is the one sapph, I have been reading up on eastern hoggies and westerns also asian and mexican vine snakes......they arn't sounding so scary anymore (the venomous part).

Ahhh. I'm still working on myself with the vine snakes, but over time I'll get over the venomous part, probably. It's just, I can't fathom owning a vine snake at the moment. Maybe in 5 years or so.

Anywho, even if my male is fussy, I'm sure he'll chill out eventually.. I'm not too concerned.~

Also, my mother just came home from her out of state trip and said she really wants to hold Scott off for a little... She asked when the next expo was and she didn't seem too content with the date. So, it may be this week, may be next week... Not sure. Really hope it's this week, though! I really want to say hello to my new boy D;

What I do remember, though, is I got refunded $30 some months ago and completely forgot about, so I'll tell her I won't owe as much as I thought. currently have $110, so she would have had to pay $90 and I'd pay her back the difference over time, but now she'd only have to pay $60.

See, I'd originally planned it out that I'd -at least- have $200 by the time the -expo- came, and since I've got $140 now and it'd take me roughly 3 weeks to get the extra $60, I would've hit the nail on the head, but since Scott wants to go ahead and bring it to me, I'm a little short and I'll have to pay back my mother in 3 weeks. I would have had more money, but my cage setup has costed me around $50.

Lankyrob
02-27-11, 06:44 PM
Please dont think i am trying to rain on your parade but if money is that tight what happens if one of the reptiles needs a vet visit? Do you have plans in place?

Sapphyr
02-27-11, 06:54 PM
Please dont think i am trying to rain on your parade but if money is that tight what happens if one of the reptiles needs a vet visit? Do you have plans in place?

Parents pay for the vet bills. It's -my- money that's tight. They make 100k a year. They pay for things like that for me for as long as I stay. Pay for food, bills, etc. The money I'm spending on this snake is money I didn't earn, so I don't feel a need to keep it. Money I do earn? I'm not going to spend. That's going towards leaving this place :l

Lankyrob
02-28-11, 05:57 AM
No worries then, glad you have that backup in place. Its a cost that a lot of people dont think about until it is too late.

Sapphyr
02-28-11, 01:30 PM
No worries then, glad you have that backup in place. Its a cost that a lot of people dont think about until it is too late.

Yeah. We have a cat that's had 3 vet visits in the past year. We have no idea what's wrong with her. She's had steroid injections, a surgery(but turns out this was the wrong thing), and a ton of pus removed from her chest cavity. They, at first, thought she had food stuck in her chest.. some how.. They assumed this after taking xrays. This was at a different vet's office since our vet was currently closed. They called for surgery but we knew they'd charge alot more than our vet, so the next day they sent her over to him and he agreed. Opened her up, found everything to be in place, sewed her up. Now, I forgot what made him put a syringe to her chest, but he did and pulled out a ton of pus. So, we then thought it was an infection. She went on medication for a few weeks, seemingly got better.. And then she started wheezing again. So, I think he did the same thing, put her back on medication. She got well again... and it came back again. Took her back, he gave her a steroid injection instead. This seemed to work for a few weeks before the wheeze gradually came back... Now I'm really starting to consider that maybe she has feline asthma and medication will have to be recurring.

A few years back we had another cat. I remember he started becoming lethargic and not eating. Took him in, and I forgot what they found. I think something about his... pancrease, gall bladder, or bladder... So, they had to do surgery.. He, unfortunately, didn't make it on account of whatever they were working on rupturing during surgery and killing him.

Neither of those cats were mine, but this one is. If you've read my posts, you may of heard of Lucy. Lucy was my beloved kitten, she was my sunshine back when she was alive considering I was really depressed back then and she made things better. We obtained Lucy when we were visiting my cousins down in Somerset. They said there was a kitten that wouldn't come out from under the porch, they thought something was wrong with it. We spent several hours removing boards from their friend's porch and finally got her out to find her back legs weren't functional. It was either let her die, or take her, since no one else wanted to. We took her home, and took her to the vet out of curiousity. This started, for her, a chain of visits for the rest of her life. At home, we had to bathe her regularly considering she had no control of bowel and urinary movements, so she'd mess on herself. I didn't mind, but she sure did. She still loved me, though, despite putting her in water. She was the most determined little kit, she could even climb, using just her front paws(and yes, she also 'walked' this way, only the front paws). Things were ok for a few months. They couldn't really figure out why she was born this way. The assumptions ranged from a parasite at birth, to weakened muscles(since her back legs -did- spasm. It wasn't exactly paralysis since they did move, but she had no control over them). Though... After a while she got this wretched stinch... It smelled of decay. There was pale red fluid oozing from her bum, and no matter how many washings there were, she still stunk. We took her into the vet's office and they examined her. They said, on account of having no control of her bowel movements, that a hole had been eaten in the walls of her rectum and waste was leaking into the body, slowly killing her inside. He said no matter how many baths we'd given her, it still would have happened. It was left to my decision whether to let her go on or to put her down. I wanted her to stay with me... but I remember looking down at her own day.. and I saw the pain in her eyes. I knew I had to put her out of her misery.. because I loved her. So, we took her into the vet's office, and that day she died in my arms. I kept my promise, I was with her 'til the end. I even held her little paw as she passed.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs7/i/2005/269/c/3/A_Hard_Day_by_ZimEatsWaffles.jpg

At any rate, so, yes, they take care of vet visits for any of my animals. Mine, thankfully, haven't really needed any by far, except for vaccinations. They pay for most of my things, such as food and stuff. Pay all the bills, etc. They'll do this for as long as I'm here, so, when I do get a job, I won't have to worry about spending my money. It's great because that means I can move out sooner.~ Ha, I remember saying back then, that when I moved, I was going to take Lucy with me... And I still think about that, but now I'm not so sure. I think I should leave her here, at her home, where she lived... I'm sure she knows it's not that I -want- to leave her.

mld
02-28-11, 02:06 PM
What a sad story, sorry to hear about Lucy's battle. You did the best thing for her. She was a cute little one:)

My parents cat have asthma! He takes pills every day!

Sapphyr
02-28-11, 02:09 PM
What a sad story, sorry to hear about Lucy's battle. You did the best thing for her. She was a cute little one:)

My parents cat have asthma! He takes pills every day!

Yeh, she was a doll.

Since you know a cat that has asthma, I'll video tape Stewboo and see what you think. ,:l I'm really not sure if it's asthma or something else.

And yes, her name is Stewie... We thought she was a he when we first got her.

leper65
02-28-11, 05:43 PM
Harley!!

Harley Davidson - Hog

Hey! I named my hog that a couple years ago. I bet there's quite a few Harleys out there. Congrats on the Hoggie!

Sapphyr
02-28-11, 08:31 PM
Hey! I named my hog that a couple years ago. I bet there's quite a few Harleys out there. Congrats on the Hoggie!

Thanks! :D I can't wait to get him~

Sapphyr
02-28-11, 09:31 PM
Good news! Scott called and said he'll be passing by on Friday on his way to another expo. He said if that's not convenient for us, Saturday or Sunday would also be fine. So, if my mother wants to go ahead and get it(instead of putting it off for a week or so), then I'll be getting him this weekend!

I'm thinking I'm going to name him Ouro... Not 100% on that thought though.

Freebody
02-28-11, 11:31 PM
GRATS!! :) looking forward to more pics.

Sapphyr
03-01-11, 12:37 AM
GRATS!! :) looking forward to more pics.

Thanks! c:

I just talked it over with my mother, we'll be getting him on Scott's trip back up from the expo on Saturday or Sunday.

He said it depends on how good the expo is on when he's coming back. If it's good he plans on staying the night, maybe go salamander hunting since it's being held in the Lake Cumberland Park. Can't wait!