PDA

View Full Version : Hognose Temps

NennaMeerkat
01-28-11, 03:36 PM
So I got a new and better thermometer for my snake's home today and put it in the middle of the tank. Right now the temp is showing 82 degrees in the middle. Went online to look to see what the temps are recommended for hoggies and am getting conflicting information. Some say low humidity high heat while others are saying no humidity with a lower heat. Temps suggested are always in a different form of measuring temperature as well. So my question is does anyone know a good temp for a hoggie to have? Or does 82 degrees in the middle of the tank seem good? And oh, I have a 15 gallon tank.

Aaron_S
01-28-11, 03:38 PM
I don't know about the middle of the tank but from my readings and conversations with hognose breeders. Hot and dry is what you want. Get the temps of the hot side. You want a 90 - 92 hot side.

NennaMeerkat
01-28-11, 03:41 PM
Okay sounds like I might need a hotter bulb, though I do have a UTH on a dimmer on the hot side as well. Still wouldn't hurt to get a higher hotter bulb regardless. This one I have was a guess on my part when buying, been doubting its strength overall. Just wish I could remember the wattage overall on the bulb...I know the lamp I have now won't take over 75 watts though.

Aaron_S
01-28-11, 03:45 PM
I'd go 50 watts. Or up the temp on the heatpad.

NennaMeerkat
01-28-11, 03:48 PM
I am gonna get a better light, already had a problem with her avoiding the side of the tank when the heat pad was hotter than it is now due to it being uncomfortable on her scales. Don't need burnt belly scales!

Thanks for the help!

Aaron_S
01-28-11, 03:50 PM
Could be it was just too hot with the lamp on at the same time. I only use heat tape but I use a rack system. The heat pad SHOULD do the job all on it's own but I don't know if your house or room it's in is drafty or cold.

NennaMeerkat
01-28-11, 03:52 PM
This time of year my entire home is rather cold and drafty. Trying to save energy and my ability to breathe by keeping the heat down. Since I live in Texas I am sure the conditions will change drastically once it is hotter out. Thankfully my lamp has a dimmer on it built in so I can easily adjust the temps of heat pad and lamp as needed.

Marica
01-28-11, 05:59 PM
I believe most bulbs should have the wattage engraved in the metal base, at least if I recall all the reptile bulbs I had did.

NennaMeerkat
01-28-11, 06:09 PM
Thanks Marcia I will look at that once I unscrew it tomorrow. But I really don't think it was a 50 watt.

ineedsoap16
01-29-11, 09:10 AM
I have been keeping Westerns for 2 years now and Aaron is right, hot and dry works great. The only moisture comes from the small water bowl provided. Never a bad shed. But do make sure it is a small bowl because I've heard horror stories of neonates drowning. They are awesome snakes just not the most adapted snakes in the work at locomotion. I do like the was they move though, like little rattlesnakes.

Good luck with your hog. lets see pics

NennaMeerkat
01-29-11, 11:43 AM
I was using a tiny tiny bowl but I upgraded to a shallow larger one. Even at its fullest it doesn't go over her completely. And I have yet to fill it to its fullest.

Since you have been keeping westerns for a while now what is the best way in your opinion to get them to eat? Mine has been off feed for nearly 3 weeks now and I think it is due to stress either at time of feeding or sometime beforehand. I am choosing to feed her live since that is what the breeder was feeding (and I plan on pre killing once she is big enough to eat mice that could hurt her) and she is supposed to eat 1-2 pinkies a week.

As for pictures these are ones I had posted earlier on the site:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8093/24988154.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/197/41047413.jpg

ineedsoap16
01-29-11, 02:48 PM
I have 5 an everyone is different. My large female will go nuts as soon as i get the mouse anywhere near her and attack it crazy, One of my males is very polite but will only eat if i hangth emouse from tongs in front of him. Another young female all I have to do is put it in her enclosure anywhere and she will find it.

How large is the one you are trying to feed? I had very young female who was 7gms when I got her and she would not eat for almost 6 months for me living in identical conditions to the rest of my hogs, then one day she took it with vigor and has been great ever since. If yours is tiny you may want to try scenting a f/t pinky with canned salmon juice, tuna juice , or sometimes they will also eat hard boiled eggs. I've found that each one was challenging to find what they like and how they like it, but they will all become good eaters eventually. Its just frustrating till they do. good luck

Ryan

NennaMeerkat
01-29-11, 07:17 PM
Yeah my girl is rather small. About as thick as my first finger and maybe as long as my forearm. So yeah she is small, and stresses REALLY easy. Which is why I think that she has a hard time eating...hope that it is something she will grow out of (had her for 2 months and in that time she has eaten maybe 3 times) since my home is rather active. I don't even handle her for fear of really freaking her out...and then she would never eat.

I did notice that she stopped eating once I put in the aspen shavings instead of the carpet I used to have...do you think that could be it? Maybe I need to put the carpet back in instead of the aspen? I know they like to burrow and I wouldn't want her not to have that opportunity.

I am working on getting her temps up, bought a 50 watt today and hopefully that will get everything where it needs to be. Don't have any extra money in my budget yet but I need to get a more accurate way to randomly measure the hot side of her home once and a while...though not sure what to get.

Lankyrob
01-30-11, 05:35 AM
I bought a temp gun, much more reliable than pretty much anything that i s in the tank and can be used repeatedly for multiple animals. I think mine cost about £30 but there sre more expensive as well as chesper ones on the market. You get a temperwture within one tenth of a degree.

ineedsoap16
01-30-11, 07:06 PM
I don' know if the substraes the problem but I bet when you temps come up and shes gets to calm down a little she'll be fine,

Ryan

NennaMeerkat
01-30-11, 09:18 PM
My husband has a gun at his work but he doesn't think they will let him borrow it >.< I also don't have the extra money right now to get it. Hopefully though with tax money comes the ability to get a decent gun for myself.

As of right now though even with a better bulb the temps are still reading 82 so I am thinking the damn thermometer I got isn't as reliable as I thought. Lets just hope that next week the temps are higher than what the silly thing is reading thus bringing up her want to eat.

blindfireak40
02-07-11, 06:31 PM
Look on the back of the box you got the bulb in, it should indicate approximate temperatures at certain distances. I had to go up to 75 watts to get my temps up to 85 directly below the light.

NennaMeerkat
02-07-11, 06:48 PM
I am now using 2 lights to get the needed temps. I know when it gets warmer outside (and thus warmer in my house) it won't be so bad.

However she still isn't eating (4 weeks now) and I realized she hasn't shed either and it will be 4 months that I have had her at the end of Feb. I am suspecting that something is up...