PDA

View Full Version : Malagasy Giant Hognose Female

Michael Roth
12-16-10, 10:36 PM
Big Thanks to Jim (J&J Reptiles) for getting me this proven female Malagasy Giant Hognose as a ladyfriend for my male. She is calm, and perhaps a little tired due to her recent egg-laying, and is going to lead to a very exciting project for next year. Thanks again Jim!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/MichaelRoth/mghf008.jpg

Thanks for looking :>

Reptile_Reptile
12-16-10, 11:03 PM
i dont normally like the look of hognoses but she is a beauty

Marica
12-17-10, 09:52 AM
She's quite pretty. There doesn't appear to be much information online regarding this species from what I can find. What's their adult size? What's your housing setup like? Any other interesting information you could share would be great.

shaunyboy
12-17-10, 10:56 AM
i like these guys as they get quite big

im sure the op will tell us the average size

im thinking its around 4 to 6ft ?

cheers shaun

Michael Roth
12-17-10, 12:40 PM
Like you said Marica, the information out there is scarce, and thankfully I have been able to pick Feebo's mind, and others on other sites.

They seem to hit 4-6 feet as Shaun said, and like to burrow as well as climb. For the time being she is in a deep tote, 3'x2'x3' with six inches of substrate to burrow under. Kept at ambient 72-75 with a underbelly heat basking spot of 95 degrees. They seem to love their water too, so a dishwashing tub half full of water is provided as well.

I keep them seperate, apparently it is better for breeding purposes that they are introduced only to breed.

Marica
12-17-10, 01:18 PM
Thanks Shaun and Michael. I was quite disappointed to discover that it's illegal to own Westerns here and was quite surprised and happy when you got your male. Though they appear to have a different head shape with a less defined snout and larger 'forehead', though perhaps that's just the angles of the few pictures I've seen?

Michael Roth
12-17-10, 01:23 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/MichaelRoth/malagasyhognose006-1.jpg

This is a shot of the male's profile...they definitely do not have as pronounced a snout as the north american hogs, but hey... I'll take what I can get.